No announcement yet.

First Carupter, need TONS of n00b advice.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Carupter, need TONS of n00b advice.

I am new to this site as of today. Obviously I joined because I want to install a in-car computer. I am new to this, but not completely uneducated. I have installed about 3 car stereos so I have a basic understanding of how that works. I have a pretty good knowledge of computers and how that works. I went to college and major'd in computer science and have built my own machines for tha past few years.
    I have NO experiance with carputers at all so please be kind.

I was in a major accident over summer in my Toyota 4Runner (Pics here: ). As a result I bought a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe and I have some money to do a nice system. My original plan went like this:
    Pioneer Avic-D1 (with lockout bypass modification of course) as main control
    Pioneer Ipod control
    After reading reviews on that I switched to wanting the Harmon Kardon idrive+play
    Pioneer back-up camera
    Sony PS2.
    Speakers and subs and amps, etc...

I recently became aware of this option. It seems to have everything I want (Nav, good iPod interace, dvd) although I am not sure if I could do a back up camera and PS2.

I am not really sure where to start guys. I want something that I can mount flush in the dash. I want good functionality. I have seen the Mac Mini installs and everything seems to work nice there.

I am not sure about power issues, and what happens when you turn the car on and off.
    How do you hook up the carputer to your cars wiring harness so you can use radio?
    How do you wire it to the speakers and amps.?
    Where do you non-pros get your stuff installed (I doubt I could tackle this on my own so I assume I need professional help).
    What do I need that isn't obvious?

Sorry for the long n00b post, but I am only a couple days in on just thinking about this, so rather that try to sound cool I just figured I would let it all out so I can figure this out with everyone.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    "I would never do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ***, okay?"

You know what guys, I just realized that most of the answers I need right now are in FAQ. Sorry about that.

Let me try something different.

Does anyone have any pictures of an install in a Tahoe or other Chevy full size truck?

What is the advantage to getting a carputer as opposed the the system i described above?

Thanks for bearing with me.
    "I would never do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ***, okay?"

Do a search for "Tahoe" in the "Show off your project" forum
      EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Take a look for user name = 'PIP' not sure if his ride is a Suburban or a tahoe but the dash, center consol and seats are the same.
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!