Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game plan and a couple questions (and I did use the search)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game plan and a couple questions (and I did use the search)

I have a 2001 4 Runner, and as some of you might have guesed by my presence on this forum: I want to install a computer in it.

I had no idea other people were doing this!….I stumbled on this forum and now I feel a lot braver doing this project knowing others who know what they are doing are only a few mouse clicks away. So here we go:

I want it to be able to:

-DVD
    -GPS
    -MP3
    -Internet (via my Bluetooth phone which has free internet through Sprint)
    -Network with my house
    -TV (optional/eventually)
    -AM/FM Radio (looks like reception is a problem so possibly Satellite)
    -OBD II (eventually)

I have been reading on the forum for a couple days and it looks like these are the components I will be getting:

-VIA M10000 (512 Ram, 160 gig full size HD)
    -OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply SFX.1215
    - Xenarc 700TSV 7"
    -Slot load, Slimline DVD (with USB adapter)
    -Holux GM 210 USB GPS
    -Audio Amp (undecided on brand or model)
    -Netgear Wireless G Usb Adapter
    -USB Bluetooth Adapter

Questions:

-Are there any components/adapters/etc. that are missing from my list to make a carputer that will do what I want it to do? Are there any components I’ve listed you would steer away from or try not to use because of quality or compatibility?

-Is there any problem powering the DVD player of a 4 port USB hub that has been run approx. 12 feet and has the GPS and Touch screen also hooked to it?

-As of right now my plan is to mount the computer and power supply in the trunk, on a piece of plywood. The plywood will be held in the compartment in the back of the 4-Runner:

The compartment is 22x5x10 (inches). I live in Fresno, California. It gets as cold as 30 degrees a couple days of winter and as hot as 110 a couple days in summer. Is it ok to mount the computer and power supply together in this size space with no “case fan” (as there is no case)?

Appreciate the help!
    2001 Toyota 4Runner

"They should put your mouth in a circus"

Cinderella Man

The VIA EPIA MS8000E is an 800mhz fanless board. You might think about going with the M10000 or the M12000. I have the M10000 and it will do all the stuff you want. I'm not so certain about the MS8000E.

Your picture link isn't working but as long as you aren't in a tight enclosed space, you'll probably be okay.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Is the picture not working for anybody else? I can see it.
      2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

Originally posted by rdiggidy

I see it.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

What picture where????

*edit* scratch that. It appeared after i posted. Like it needed to be reloaded..... hmmmmm how queer?

Anyways, now i can see it, what about mounting it in there with a tiny cutout for a fan just to circulate air for those hot days? That'd be sweet and u could do the obvious and get a temp controlled one so u wouldn't be using it more than necessary. A nice little chrome grill over it. Yeh, that's what i'd do.

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoIsThisGuy?
            what about mounting it in there with a tiny cutout for a fan just to circulate air for those hot days? That'd be sweet and u could do the obvious and get a temp controlled one so u wouldn't be using it more than necessary. A nice little chrome grill over it. Yeh, that's what i'd do.
            That is a really good idea. The only problem with that is I want the only visable modification to my car to be the in-dash touch screen. I'm worried about theft and I dont want there to be any visible indications that there's something worth stealing in that little compartment.

If the consensus is that I do need a fan, then I think I will take your idea and stick a fan on there.

So i'm looking for a few more opinions on whether this set up will need a fan.
            2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
              The VIA EPIA MS8000E is an 800mhz fanless board. You might think about going with the M10000 or the M12000. I have the M10000 and it will do all the stuff you want. I'm not so certain about the MS8000E.

Your picture link isn't working but as long as you aren't in a tight enclosed space, you'll probably be okay.
              Thanks! ordered the m10000 last night from the mp3car.com website. It shipped already today!
              2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

That is a really good idea. The only problem with that is I want the only visable modification to my car to be the in-dash touch screen. I'm worried about theft and I dont want there to be any visible indications that there's something worth stealing in that little compartment.

If the consensus is that I do need a fan, then I think I will take your idea and stick a fan on there.

So i'm looking for a few more opinions on whether this set up will need a fan.
                Ur only gonna really find out by trying it out. If you plan it out as though you are gonna put fans in so u have enough room in the right places (but dont actually) and then install something like Motherboard Monitor to keep track of your temps, u'll be able to find out if u do need them or not. Then u just cut the holes et voila. If u wanna keep it as hidden as possible u could always spray the grills a colour close to the trim so they blend in as much as possible. Or stretch some kinda acoustic cloth over the holes - they'll let air in but'll make it look as though theres nothing but cloth there. That'd work well and it'd act like a filter.

Anyways, good luck!

M10K, Lilli 7", 512MB, 80Gb HD, slim CD-RW/DVD Combi, nLite Win XP, CentraFuse.

Planned for years, built for ages, tested for a while, almost installed, never gonna be perfect...

Comment

Didn't know there was a program like Motherboar Monitor....

That's exactly what I need.

Thanks for your help and good ideas!
                  2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

I'm also a newbie and thinking about setting up a system like this. I also have a 4 Runner 02. So rdiggidy, can you update your installation progress so i can learn how to do it from you? Thanks, really appreciate it.

Comment

Yea I will.

I'll take pictures as I go and put them on the forum.

As of right now I'm ordering parts. These are all in the mail and will hopefully be here next week:

-Motherboard
                      -Opus
                      -GPS
                      -Touch Screen
                      -15' VGA

Once they are here I'll begin installing.

Are you going to install it in the same place: the rear compartment (see picture above)?

I was planning on going under the front seats, but I have the Limited Edition so it has heated seats and the ECU under the front drivers seat so there's not much room up there, leaving me thinking that rear compartment is the best place.

Good luck and we'll probably both learn as we go!
                      2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

GREAT! A 4runner CarPC! I'm also working on a project yet barely started. Hope to see your project up and running soon!

Comment

rdiggidy: I had read several posts regarding about using a laptop instead. What do you think about it? Would it worth of trying? I don't know how the sound, picture quality would be? Do you have any opinion about this? I'm very new to this, so can you give some details about overall connection please? Thanks,

Comment

I'm really not the one to be asking, I'm still pretty new to this myself. But I really think it depends on what YOU WANT for your system.

Why would you want to use a laptop? You already have one? Save money? Want to be able to take it out of the car? Want an easy install? Etc. Let us know what you want from your system and then we can go from there (you might want to start your own thread, it will probably get more attention that way)

As far as sound and video quality I don't see why it wouldn't be the same (video wise at least), any sound quality difference probably won't be noticable at freeway speeds. Unless you were planning on putting a super sound card and video card in the non-laptop setup.

I'll be glad to offer you my opinioin, but like I mentioned above I'm still new to this so you'd probably want some of the other, more knowledgeable guys opinions.
                            2001 Toyota 4Runner

Cinderella Man

Comment

Thanks rdiggidy. The reason why i want to use the laptop setting is because i already have a old laptop that i don't use very often. Since it's my first time, i want to test the whole system to gain a better understand. For now, i will watch how you do it and learn from it , then may be later on i will try on with a laptop setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X