Carputer for Engine Monitoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer for Engine Monitoring

Ok I've seen The Fast & The Furious about 1000 times. And I continually see (in the movies) LCD screens showing engine status such as speed, temp, oil, fuel. I want to know where can I get such a computer to do this. Secondly I'd like to use my PSP as the LCD Screen. Does anybody know where I can find the equipment I need for this?

- read the FAQ section
    - search before posting (these questions have been discussed and asked many times)
    - take a look here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37 (the sticky would be a good place to start)

as for the PSP screen..I could be wrong, but I would imagine it's very difficult to use a PSP as you would need to code a program to control the screen and interface it to the computer. As for a PS one screen, people are using thoes, a quick search will yield plenty of info on the matter.
    Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
    macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
    14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
    Completly custom computer case

Comment

I think your car comes stock with that, its called an instrument cluster.

If you REALLY want to go through with this, a good choice is MegaSquirt, which I will be installing in my car soon and using the carputer for tuning and datalogging. Expect to pay around $300-$400 for the system, a few weeks of pulling your hair out installing it and a couple hundred for dyno tuning unless you can find stock maps for your ignition, fuel.

P.S. Just my opinion but the fast and furious made the world a worse place and all DVD's of it should be buried, never to be watched again.

Comment

There are a few expensive options, mostly vehicle specific though. Not an expert, but I know that if you have a Subaru Impreza WRX you can interface A UTEC (piggyback ECM) with a PSP. Possibly more models available.

Comment

Well my car, 1987 Toyota Celica, does really have much for a onboard computer so I would need to pretty much build from scratch. And as for the fast & the furious, I will admit they were horrible movies but they showed that any concept can be created.

Comment

An 87 Celica has a mechanical speedometer... The primary gauges that the Megatune program has are Coolant temp and RPM... A speedometer on the computer would require some kind of digital adapter box.. I'm assuming it could be done, but it would take some sort of custom box that's probably waaaaaaay over priced, lol...
            Personally I like the sort of solid feeling that a real analog gauge gives you, but that may just be me...

Comment

You can display speed with gps software (actually as accurate as you can get).

Comment

Hah, duuuuur.... Yea, the GPS is very accurate... I've actually asked cops to triple check the speed readings from it (and my speedometer, which is sooo inaccurate it's not even funny...)

Comment

Originally posted by Teranfirbt
                  Hah, duuuuur.... Yea, the GPS is very accurate... I've actually asked cops to triple check the speed readings from it (and my speedometer, which is sooo inaccurate it's not even funny...)
                  Depends on the software, try the gps that NASCAR, Formula One etc. use.

Comment

if MPH varies with the same receiver from one software to the next, thats pretty sad. Its not quantum physics but more like basic algebra to compute mph

Comment

Working...
                    X