Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any of the frontends java or javascript based?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any of the frontends java or javascript based?

Hi
    just wondering, are any of the front ends java or java script based? if so which on do you prefer.
    I need to pick up java or javascript nayways, so I figured I might as well combine it with my carputer project if I can
    thanks

BC

Java is way to clunky for a lower powered PC board.

It runs like crud most of the time as it is

The only good thing would be portability between OS.
    '76 LR Series III 109 - Fully Sorted
    '95 Rover 620ti - Working on it

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist

Comment

oh ok
      thanks

Comment

You would be better of looking into something like c#, it would be a lot faster - C++,c# is a good grounding for learning java anyway.

If you just want to knock something up quick than VB is your friend - If however you are wanting to learn java from scratch its probably better to write some simple tutorial style programs first - embarking on something like a front end with no prior programming experience is a tad ambitious.

Personaly im not a fan of java (did that come across :P) but theres nothing stopping you having a crack at it if you want, but i really do think you will be strugling to get the performance.

Comment

Yeah, null byte is right. I was considering a Java GUI and my other classmates warned me against it. Its not there yet. I'm still wondering if HTML with flash would do it. I know Web based languages are rought when trying to make them emulate higher programming forms, but i am curious...
          Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
          Genesis has speed
          Genesis has class
          Genesis sent money
          before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

A web based solution is an intresting one, its still not going to be as fast as nicely complied code, although it could be pretty quick, images cached in ram - browser will be doing most of the work, and thats going to be pretty fast.

The slow down comes as you will have to be running a web server in the background - if this was say linux with apache you could be on a winner, but for gps you will need windows as linux turn by turn isnt there yet.

Being a VB programmer i would use ASP.NET, as you can get an awful lot of power from it, It becoming more common for comercial products to be written like this - however catch 22, ASP.NET is going to hammer your architecture again. Part of my can see a possibility in terms of a modular/customisable solution - the other half of me says why? what do you gain for going down this route as opposed to just using c or vb and coding direct.

It would certainly be an intresting project, I would like to see something like this in an alpha for speed comparison.

Comment

Working...
            X