Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the scene, Your opinion on this carputer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the scene, Your opinion on this carputer.

Hi all. As you can see this is my first post and certainly not my last. I have been browsing the site and have learned a lot. There is a computer i was looking at and was wondering if it is worth the money or not. Or If you guys think I should build my own thats better and not spend to much mor money than that? heres the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/carputer-w-80g-d...QQcmdZViewItem

don't be shy please reply. thanks in advance.
    There wouldn't really be any use for forums if there were no noobs.

Build your own, you will be happier
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

You need to weigh up what you want the carputer to do with the specs of the machine.
      Check out the store here and price the individual components.
      You could have power issues preventing you from adding other components.

Comment

ooh an s10, are you familiair with s10planet.com ? check it out sometime some good stuff their.

Comment

Thanks for such fast replys. I noticed it had a seagate hdd in it, I know those are rather cheap drives that is one thing that made me want to get others opinions. Would you guys recommend a seagate drive if I do build my own?

Comment

Not familiar with s10planet.com but I will check it out thanks. I am though, familiar with s10forums.com. And Yes this is going to be a very interesting task trying to put a computer in a regular cab s-10 with 2 10" subs behind the seat.

Comment

oh dear, someone on this site had put their whole carputer in the centerconsole, which i find rather unnecessary as well. but i have a blazer so i have room in the back.

Comment

Well I have a bed cover, and plan on porting it in the near furture. Thinking of putting 4 15" subs in the bed. But for now I'll probably just put the cpu on top of the speaker box and in the middle to keep the cpu away from the subs magnets. I pretty much know what all I am going to buy except for the cpu components. I am searching and pondering as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma04
                  Thanks for such fast replys. I noticed it had a seagate hdd in it, I know those are rather cheap drives that is one thing that made me want to get others opinions. Would you guys recommend a seagate drive if I do build my own?
                  Seagate is my preferred HDD manufacturer. They are the largest, and they are also the only company to maintain a 5 year warranty as standard on all desktop hard drives they sell.

Comment

Thanks, thats good to here, because they are a little less expensive which means I'll get a more gigs for my money.

Comment

monitors

I can get a motherboard that i can hook a touchscreen to and a reagular s-video monitor to right. Also do you guys prefer using head units for you sound or an optional usb sound card.

Comment

Seagate is a plus in this case. They have highly durable drives with great arrenties. I think that's why the seller noted that in the auction. Don't let seagate's price fool you, they're highly respected leaders in the industry, even if they're not #1.

$300 for that is pretty pointless. You can go on craigslist, buy n 800mhz- 1.5Ghz computer or laptop with just enough cash to spring for other power supplies. Also, if you have an s-10, you've got space man. You can also spring for a bare bones shuttle and get more for less, though you'll have to build it yoruself. Some poeple find that fun. Others hate it.

You can hook up withatever you want as long as you ahve the outputs to it. Nvidia is a good choice for vid cars as they have a clever utlity to manage the outputs to your deisres. I'm not sure about ATi though...i only like them for their AIW cards.

For sound, i think we're all getting the idea that head units are a thing of the past for us, a crutch even, if you will. You get better procesinga nd decoding form the computer anyways, why reprocess it? The best is to use the optical out of your USB to an EQ with DSP to your amps. Ofcourse, the cheapies among us, like myself, want to use 1/8"- RCA straigh tto the amps and damn anyone who tells us otherwise!

Also, on that, why, pray tell, are you putting 4 15" in your car? You do realize the expensive of the carputer project alone will blow away that of a normal stereo system, right? Regardless, something tells me you'll be needing that 5 year HDD warrenty with 4 15"s...

my 2 cents with some extra change
                        Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                        Genesis has speed
                        Genesis has class
                        Genesis sent money
                        before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and your probably right about the four 15"s. It was just a thought, and I'm sure my plans will change very much in time. Even more so now with the computer project. I'll just have to see what comes about.

Comment

Working...
                          X