Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carputer in a Caravan: BAttery Problem, help required.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer in a Caravan: BAttery Problem, help required.

Hullo everybody.
    I'm THINKING of putting a cheap computer into my Caravan, but i've noticed a problem. When idling the engine, and raising or lowering the electric windows, all of the other lights dim, and the enigine growls louder, telling me that it is under stress. Now what im wondering is, if a simple raising and lowering a window puts the electrical system of the car at stress, what would a carputer running alongside all of these functions, do to the electric system.?
    Is this because my car battery is too old?
    I recently bought this 1996 Dodge Caravan. it has around 190K on it.
    So should i go ahead and replace my battery?
    Additionally, my crank time is also long, compared to other cars that i have driven. It takes around 1 ~ 2 seconds of cranking the engine to get it started. Even if the engine is hot. Is this definitely a battery problem or no?
    Thanks in advance.
    I quit

Alternator and battery? Take your van to an auto store and ask for the free electric/charging system check.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

ok, i will thanks.
      BTW, are both the parts cheap and easy to replace, that is if a problem is found?
      I quit

Comment

Battery should be easy. Alternator could be hard depending on the location. Price depends in brand and quality you get. If they battery is really old, or has been discharged a lot, it probably barely holds a charge. When you car is running you alternator should be providing enough power for everything, even with a flat battery. Sounds like a) you battery is going; b) You are either using more amps than you alternator can provide or you alternator is dying. Only odd thing is when my alternator went it whined at higher RPMs, but my engine never growled. Anyway they will test the whole charging system and find the weak link of it and recommend what to do. From there you can do it yourself or take it to a mechanic.
        ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
        Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
        All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
        Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

Comment

Working...
        X