First build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First build

Hello all, I've been reading around for a while, and finally have the funds (and time) to make a carputer. I've got my list of parts, just need to make sure they will all work with each other, and to see if I'm missing anything.

Case : Athenatech A100SC.200 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811190003)
    Mobo : Biostar M7NG
    CPU : AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.6Ghz
    HDD : Seagate Barracuda 200GB
    RAM : Kingmax 512MB DDR
    Power supply : OPUS 120w
    CD ROM : LG CDRW
    Sound : Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102171)

That's about it. I'll probably add XM radio and mouse/keyboard through USB.

Any suggestions?

It'll work, personally I think its a bit of overkill.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

looks good

it looks good, just remember when you are building a comp that your mobo and cpu are compatible. your pci and agp should be backward compatible. the one big prob i see is the usb mouse and keyboard... that would take up alot of system resources and they would both be fighting irq's. i would recogmend using either both ps/2 or ps/2 keyboard and usb mouse. although a 200gig HD??? dude! inpressive... but why? (just curious) unless your ripping DVD's to your HD... great choice on the AMD too. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
        It'll work, personally I think its a bit of overkill.
        Why do you say that? Because of the huge HDD? I might as well get a size that I know I probably won't fill, rather than buying a smaller one and filling it, only to buy a bigger size down the road.

Originally posted by dokB
        it looks good, just remember when you are building a comp that your mobo and cpu are compatible. your pci and agp should be backward compatible. the one big prob i see is the usb mouse and keyboard... that would take up alot of system resources and they would both be fighting irq's. i would recogmend using either both ps/2 or ps/2 keyboard and usb mouse. although a 200gig HD??? dude! inpressive... but why? (just curious) unless your ripping DVD's to your HD... great choice on the AMD too. good luck!
        My friend works for a video store and I download a lot of movies, so I acquire new movies daily. I have about 40 gigs of music already and around 130 DivX/XviD movies. Plus, I'll have about 500mb of roms too.

I checked and the mobo/cpu are same socket type and compatible. The sound card is PCI and the mobo has a built in GForce4 (good for movies... no gaming on this), but has an AGP slot iin case I want to go with a little better card.

I might go with a ps2 mouse and keyboard. They would be used VERY MINIMALLY. Only when web browsing.

I'm not sure on what monitor to go with. I'm at work, so I can't really browse a lot (no ebay) But, I'm in need for just a basic double-din touchscreen. Any suggestions?

Comment

mp3car.com/store
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

The power supply isn't going to work.
            Your Sempron CPU draws 62w on the 12v rail.
            The Opus 120 PSU provides only 42w on the 12v rail (3.5A x 12v = 42w).

I'd look into a beefier power supply.
            Remember to factor in all devices that will draw 12v as well . That includes 3.5" hard drives, full-sized optical drives, fans, motherboard, etc.

Hey binary.hex: I'm going with an AthXP-M 2400+.... Is it overkill?
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i have a gaming system at home with a 120gig SATA hdd and i am no where near filling it up... go with what you want brother, myself i would go with a smaller hard drive and slide that money into more RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                The power supply isn't going to work.
                Your Sempron CPU draws 62w on the 12v rail.
                The Opus 120 PSU provides only 42w on the 12v rail (3.5A x 12v = 42w).

I'd look into a beefier power supply.
                Remember to factor in all devices that will draw 12v as well . That includes 3.5" hard drives, full-sized optical drives, fans, motherboard, etc.

Hey binary.hex: I'm going with an AthXP-M 2400+.... Is it overkill?
                Would it be better to go with a higher output PSU or a lower drawing CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Fayt
                  Would it be better to go with a higher output PSU or a lower drawing CPU?
                  You're going to need a higher-output PSU ANYWAY.
                  I'd recommend both, if it's feasable. Mobile processors are definitely the way to go.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok, I revised my plans a little bit. Going with an AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2200 and an OPUS 180w PSU.

Comment

Working...
                    X