Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am making this more difficult...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I am making this more difficult...

Hi all new member, but have been researching for months...

Quick break down:
    I have a laptop that will be installed with a docking station. Installing that and getting power to that I understand, finally.

From that is what I get confused about. I want to run GPS, Internet and Windows for starters.

The confusion starts:
    1. Do I trash my stock head unit?
    2. If I do, how to I get am/fm/satellite and cd play back?
    3. How do I pull sound from the audio out of the docking station to amps? I have one amp powering my sub and 1 powering my speakers.

I think the rest I understand from someones diagram.

Thanks and sorry for the super noob questions.

Whether or not you keep your headunit is completely up to you. If it supports an auxiliary input, plug your laptop into that.

You 'pull sound' out of your laptop the same way you pull sound out of any device. You plug something into it. Your laptop has an audio output; your amps have an audio input. Connect the two.
    This much is at least covered in the FAQ section.

Comment

My amp is connected by rca from the radio. Then amp rca out to the other amp rca in. Kinda like a daisy chain.

I don't see how my factory headunit would accept a 1/8 plug. Maybe that is something an aftermarket deck has...???

I'ma read'n, I'ma read'n...

Comment

Ok, please tell me if I am on the right track with this:
        1. from laptop to aux in on headunit
        2. rca out of headunit to amps
        3. etc...

I thnk I understand this correctly from the diagrams in the FAQ area...

Comment

You're correct.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

This diagram si what I am thinking:

Comment

you are right again. however if you want good clear video then you are going to want a VGA monitor and not an RCA screen.
              "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

Oh, ok. I was thinking that the flip up dvd headunit would offer like, s-video or something.

Comment

Originally posted by eggie
                  Oh, ok. I was thinking that the flip up dvd headunit would offer like, s-video or something.
                  I imagine this would depend heavily on the unit. Since we're still only talking in hypotheticals, anything is possible.

Same with your audio question. Your diagram is correct only if your headunit has an auxiliary input. If it doesn't, you'll have to either use an fm modulator (plugs into antenna jack on radio), fm transmitter (wireless), or plug straight into your amp from the laptop (but then what about your radio?).

Comment

Originally posted by eggie
                    SVideo signals from a PC aren't going to be much (if any) better than an RCA composite signal from a PC.
                    Thise screens are designed to display TV or video game signals which are a substantually lower resolution than a PC's video signal.

The other thing is that you're going to need special hardware for the PC to display the TV signal. Some laptops have this built-in. Some don't. Check yours, if you haven't already.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Some headunits (factory included) have an adapter for a CD changed, which, with an adapter, is how you get an RCA AUX input. It's what I have done with my JVC HU, and another member I know of has done with his factory HU.

plug for cd changer ----wire--- box ---wire--- RCA

Something like that, the "box" is just a little box, which converts the RCA inputs to work with the CD changer plug on back of the radio.

So you would have:

laptop -> 1/8 plug with male RCA -> "converter" from above -> headunit
                      :: '97 2.5 TL :: CarPC 1.0: Complete :: CarPC 2.0: 95% ::

Comment

Ues, I saw that. Now I have to pull my headunit and see this weekend. Thanks

Comment

Got a model number? Look it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X