Damage to HD from subs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to HD from subs?

I'm sure we all know that vibration is the enemy of harddrives, over time causing them to go corrupt... My question is, is there people that have had a moderate sub setup (like a solo 12") that has been running it for a good deal of time w/o any problems? I would like to beef up my stereo a bit for the carpc but am afraid of damaging the HD...
    Jim
    2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
    2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
    2008 Honda VTX1800N

from what I remember from previous threads....it's not been a problem...

I was running 143.~ dBs and didn't have a problem with my HD, thats not anything crazy in the world of SPL, but it's quite a bit louder than most street beaters out there in all reality.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

My original carpc we stored in the trunk. It was strapped down right next to my speaker enclosure containing a 12" MTX. I ran the system for around 2 years (this was back in 1999) I never had any problems with the disk.

Comment

I have a 12 w7 pounding just inches away from my harddrive for over 6 months with 0 problems.

Comment

The probability that the HD get damage by potholes, crappy roads/suspension(car) is 10 more than vibration from the subs.

BTW, this type of question/concern come up very often.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I kept corrupting my HD by having the sub box too close... I believe that the electromagnetic field is probably the harshest part of the car environment... I didn't figure it out for a long time and it was really beginning to frustrate me... now the only time I have to reformat and reinstall is because I upgraded the HD... I know that people have mixed results, I would be curious to know HD brand/model, sub type/power and listening habits...
            EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
              The probability that the HD get damage by potholes, crappy roads/suspension(car) is 10 more than vibration from the subs.
              True, however my original carPC used a Quantum Fireball. I was in a car accident and rolled my car and hit two utility poles. My harddrive was fine.. Luck of the draw I suppose

Originally posted by mgithens
              I kept corrupting my HD by having the sub box too close... I believe that the electromagnetic field is probably the harshest part of the car environment...
              Yes, this is why my case was shielded

Comment

I used to do VJ work in clubs and lost 3.5" drives with remarkable frequency. Never lost a single laptop drive, though. FWIW...

-g.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
                  True, however my original carPC used a Quantum Fireball. I was in a car accident and rolled my car and hit two utility poles. My harddrive was fine.. Luck of the draw I suppose

Yes, this is why my case was shielded

holy *****, you rolled the car
                  hope u walked away ok,

what did you use to shield the carputer???

Comment

i lost a 3.5 drive in my old college dorm room because of powered 12in subs

Comment

Working...
                    X