hibernaiton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hibernaiton

I am still in the planing stage of my carputer project. I want to know what amount of power the computer drains when in hibernaiton mode. I am still trying to decide to get either a dc-dc power supply or a converter (inverter?). The pros of a dc-dc power suppy is the built in on off control with the ingintion, but I am still deciding if I want to add anything else that I can not hook up to the dc-dc power supply.
    You know you're an engineer if you have no life & can prove it mathematically.

hibernation uses same amount of power as a computer that is turned off.

Comment

computers in hibernaiton still keep their programs open right? I never use this with my main computer just my laptop so not sure how it works.

Side question: I have been looking at dc-dc power supplys and I read some where that you have to get a diffrent PS for each thing you are powering. (one for mobo, one for hd, etc.) I dont think this is right but want to make sure befor I go ahead and get one or not.
      You know you're an engineer if you have no life & can prove it mathematically.

Comment

when you hibernate, the contnets in the ram get written to the hard drive and the computer turns off. when the computer turns back on, those contents are then put back into the memory. this effectively keeps programs running.

you are wrong about the dc-dc PSUs. the m1-atx, m2-atx, dsatx, and opus (90, 120, 150) can power everything. it just depends on your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by girbot
          Side question: I have been looking at dc-dc power supplys and I read some where that you have to get a diffrent PS for each thing you are powering. (one for mobo, one for hd, etc.)
          yeah until we get that problem solved car computers wont go mainstream... well that and having to have a serparate LCD for every program you want to run

jk

Where did you read that? The Onion?
          B Smoov
          Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

Originally posted by girbot
            computers in hibernaiton still keep their programs open right? I never use this with my main computer just my laptop so not sure how it works.
            When you hibernate, the system state is written to a file ont he hard drive, then that file is restored when you resume from hibernation. Any programs open will be open again when you resume.

Side question: I have been looking at dc-dc power supplys and I read some where that you have to get a diffrent PS for each thing you are powering. (one for mobo, one for hd, etc.) I dont think this is right but want to make sure befor I go ahead and get one or not.
            You need to stop reading that source. That's crazy talk.
            Granted, some DC-DC power supplies may not provide enough power for every device you need, meaning you'd need a POL (point-of-load) PSU to power extra devices.

My suggestion is to start reading in the FAQ Emporium.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
            X