Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Salutations and Setup Plan

Hi There Everybody!

First I want to say I love this site, and everybody here that contributes to it. So much useful information and seems like everybody here has such a great attitude!

I found MP3CAR.COM last week when I was searching for a stereo upgrade for my 2000 Inifinity QX4. I wanted a receiver that could play mp3/dvd/avi/sirius sat/nav/am/fm/touch screen,usb input etc... Well, needless to say I realized I really wanted a PC in my car. Thanks to google I ended up here, and have been devouring as much info as I can ever since

I've built every PC I've ever owned over the past 15 years or so, and now think I am at the point where I'm ready to build my carpc. Here's what my specs are looking like at this point.

Case - OPUS Mini-ITX w/120w power supply
    MOBO- MB896 Pentium M Mini-ITX
    CPU - Intel Pentium 2GHz M760 Dothan 533MHz FSB Socket 478
    Mem - Corsair 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    HDD - Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 7200 RPM
    Video - Xenarc 700TS VGA/Touchscreen
    Sat - SIR-ALP1 receiver w/RS232 Interface adapter
    DVD- Panasonic UJ-845-B Slim Slot Loat
    GPS/Bluetooth/2nd High Capacity HD - Will come after system up and running

I think a system like this should scream as it is faster than my main home computer. Still leaves plenty of upgrade potential as well. I plan on putting the carpc under the passenger seat removing the 6CD changer currently in place there now. 7" Touchscreen to replace the factory stereo in dash.

Thats pretty much what I'm looking at to get started. Any and all feedback is much appreciated. I'm especially interested if there are any incompatibilities with this setup anyone notices. Thanks!

Now that I've added all that up, $1800 is a too much money to drop all at once. And thats without all the wiring/connectors that need to be bought as well.

Think Im gunna take the laptop route... For now at least. Get a decent 1+ ghz mobile processor on ebay for $300 or so and just get a touch screen for the dash

The thing I like about this approach is that its quick, cheap and easy as pie. I see this is a hotly debated topic on these forums so got alot of readingto do before I go "all in".

Comment

Yeah, $1800 is a lot to spend at once. However, I'm a fan of putting together mini-itx or micro-atx systems since you usually get a lot more for your money when compared to a laptop system. I think you can save a good amount of money by finding a cheaper board and processor that will perform just fine for a carputer's needs and less RAM, more like 512Mb or so. After reviewing that list, I don't see where the entire $1800 comes from. Seems a little high of a prediction.

Comment

Not a prediction, here's a breakdown...

Case - OPUS Mini-ITX w/120w power supply - $276
        MOBO- MB896 Pentium M Mini-ITX - $290
        CPU - Intel Pentium 2GHz Socket 478 $307
        Mem - Corsair 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM - $86
        HDD - Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 7200 RPM - $115
        Video - Xenarc 700TS VGA/Touchscreen - $384
        Sat - SIR-ALP1 receiver w/RS232 Interface - $156
        DVD- Panasonic UJ-845-B Slim Slot Loat - $125

Total for above - $1739 + Shipping = $1800

Now that Im using a laptop, I cut down my costs to be somewhat manageable. Only need to buy the touchscreen/amp and inverter, and I can piecemail the other peripherals individually as I can afford em.

Comment

why not get a less beefy system? do u need that power?
          Current:
          [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
          [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Monty, I'm going the laptop route as well. Still waiting on my screen to arrive before I actually do the install (PC's are always a bit easier to use when one can see what one is doing . I thought about going with an old Compaq Evo (or any small "off-the-shelf" desktop) which I could pick up for about $130-ish. When I added in the cost of the DC-DC power supply though, I found myself shelling out almost as much as the laptop anyway. That, combined with the fact that laptops have a nice 2-3 hour built-in UPS (battery) and slides nicely under my passenger seat (save a lot of $$$ on extension cables!), made it the more attractive option. Found a Dell Inspiron 8100 /w the works and a broken LCD for around $200. After rigging it for remote start (soldered wires wire to the power contacts on the mobo, connected to button in dash), looks like it'll work pretty well.

Good luck to you!
            Progress: |||||--------
            +Finished prelim. tests and measurements
            +Ordered parts
            +Installed/configured laptop with good ol' Win98SE
            -Waiting on backordered touchscreen
            +Fabricating I/O panel

Comment

i think i may go the laptop route but theres also the option of my micro atx comp in a shuttle case still searching options

Comment

first off welcome to the site
                you dont need that much power for the car unless you plan on playing video games.

take a look at my setup. it'll get you closer to the 1k mark and also.. 1gb of ram is too much, itll affect boot time and not give you that much of an advantage over 512mb in the car pc environment.
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                X