head units and car pcs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head units and car pcs

When you put a pc in your car with optical drive, is there still a need for a head unit? I believe I've seen them included in some of the projects I've looked at, but it seems to be as long as you can hook the pc up to the sound system and it has an optical drive, a head unit wouldn't be needed.

From what i've managed to pick up, it depends on a few things. Personal aesthetics can be one, but on a more practical level it's good for using the radio in-car (much more difficult in most instances to have an FM tuner inside your PC) and also for people who hook their PC sound to the car through an FM transmitter.

As to specifically have a CD one, i'm not sure. I'm personally wondering if I'll end up ditching my pioneer mp3 after a carputer install and go for a good simple radio.

There may be better reasons than mine though
    You can't take the sky from me...

Carputer Progress:
    [|----------] (I have the car...)

Comment

Well. I am going with a head unit just incase the pc crashes. Or if you're not going to be in the car long enough to feel like taking the time to boot the pc.

Comment

That depends of your vision for your project, really.

Can you go without a headunit entirely? Yes, you can. You're going to lose AM radio and likely FM radio by going without a headunit, however.
        Ultimately I will be headunit-less.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

It is not a must, allows you to do more things and have a backup. Thing is, you will not use it very often.
          2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
          2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
          Sound Stage
          Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

will you necessarily lose fm radio though? would there be anything preventing me from getting fm radio through a cheap TV tuner with fm radio support?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnm
              will you necessarily lose fm radio though? would there be anything preventing me from getting fm radio through a cheap TV tuner with fm radio support?
              Only if you care about reception, which generally sucks with the currently available tuners. If you're in an area where there's ridiculously good coverage, or you don't listen to much FM (and no AM) then you're probably ok.
              GA-K8VM800M, Sempron 64 2800+, 512mb DDR400, D-Link USB BT, Linksys .11g NIC, 250gb IDE, BU-353, SIR-ALP1 w/ MJS, DSATX 220w, DWW-700H

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65059
              Now with pictures!

Comment

Im removing my head unit also. using a old wintvusb adapter I had laying around from a couple of years ago, which will connect to the car areal for FM and possible TV.
                2006 Honda Odyssey
                Lilliput 7inch touchscreen
                Travla C158 case
                VIA SP13000, 512mb ddr, 110Gb Hard Drive
                slot loading DVDROM/CDRW
                802.11B, Bluetooth, Wintvusb
                IG 3,01 NA
                Roadrunner
                A mile of wires and a ton of solder and a prayer or two.

Comment

Originally posted by randomjohn
                  Only if you care about reception, which generally sucks with the currently available tuners. If you're in an area where there's ridiculously good coverage, or you don't listen to much FM (and no AM) then you're probably ok.
                  So is there no way to connect the TV tuner to the car's antenna to improve the reception to match the quality to that of a head unit?

Comment

Im hoping there is a way. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
                    The stock head unit had 2 plugs going into it. a 2 wire one and a 20 pin one with 13 wires in it.
                    I had assumed the 2 wire one was power, but it may be the areal. i'll have ot check up on this.
                    2006 Honda Odyssey
                    Lilliput 7inch touchscreen
                    Travla C158 case
                    VIA SP13000, 512mb ddr, 110Gb Hard Drive
                    slot loading DVDROM/CDRW
                    802.11B, Bluetooth, Wintvusb
                    IG 3,01 NA
                    Roadrunner
                    A mile of wires and a ton of solder and a prayer or two.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnm
                      So is there no way to connect the TV tuner to the car's antenna to improve the reception to match the quality to that of a head unit?
                      OK, you really need to start doing some searching in the forums at this point.
                      There have been a great many solutions and projects attempted. Some of those are still underway and are likely to come to fruition in the near future.

You're not asking new questions and there are no new answers, so why not give the same old answers to teh same old questions an opportunity to be of use to someone.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah there do seem to be a few options around the forum. Unfortunately it is a little difficult with the FM solutions. Can't wait 'till everything's satellite but then i know nothing about it it's probably even more complex
                        In any case I for one will be keeping some sort of head unit. Maybe a hidden one would be worth it? Like the othhers have said it depends on your preference and how much radio you listen to.

There is a post somewhere on here about a device that has an external antena, i think the guy had to hang it out his window
                        You can't take the sky from me...

Carputer Progress:
                        [|----------] (I have the car...)

Comment

I am keeping a head unit only because I like to turn a knob to adjust the volume. I know I could use a Griffin powermate to do it, but I need AM radio as well. So I have two reasons, plus, the FM card I tried had horrible reception. If you want TV reception, you'll need a different antenna. The FM antenna on cars today won't do much for tv reception. Now if you want satellite (although too much for just a car IMHO), that's a different story.
                          My Worklog

Comment

Working...
                          X