I'm Halfway There... ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Halfway There... ?

Okay, so I'm getting ready to install a carputer.

I've already got a 7.5" screen installed (non-touchscreen), power inverter, and currently have a Slim PS2 installed.

The slim PS2 doesn't really meet my needs anymore... sure it can play MP3's (with modchip), CD's, DVD's, and videogames... all with using an IR remote control... (well, not the videogames, need the gamepad for that).. but I'd like to spice it up a little more, especially by introducing GPS.

So I have a few questions:

1. What type of carputer should I be looking into buying? This will be used for basic playing CD's, DVD's, MP3's, DivX, and GPS.

2. The size of the case is crucial, I need something very small that'll fit in my glovebox nicely. The slim PS2 currently fits in there without any modification needed, so I'd like to continue this trend. How small can these units get?

3. What input devices do you guys recommend? My screen is NOT a touchscreen, and I need something small that I can install.. again.. I'm looking for something that I can do a clean install with, so it'll look next to stock.

4. How about power supply? I currently have a relay that gives power to the inverter when I turn my stereo on, and cuts power when I turn it off. Will this be a problem for the carputer.. cutting off power all of a sudden? How about shutting down Windows?

5. My screen uses RCA as a video in... do these carputers have a RCA out for video?

6. What about sound? I would prefer something that can output 2.1 so I can at least hook up my subwoofer independantly.

1. Whatever tyype you want. That's a personal decision.

2. So find a small case. IT might also help if we knew the dimensions and/or the area where you're ghoing to put the PC. There's some surprisingly small units out there.

3. Keybaord and pointing device. Why don't you check out some available options and see what works best for you, the space in your ride and the functionality of the device, rather than rely on a half-dozen recommendations that may all be worthless to you?

4. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636

5. Listen... A carputer is ust like a desktop computer, except that it's designed to run off a car's 12v electrical system.
    Do you have a computer with a TV out? I have a couple. If not, then you get a computer that has a video card with TV out. When you look at systems and/or components, read specs and features carefully.

6. Any sound hardware made in the last fifteen years will have 2.1 sound. Of course, a headunit can do this, as well..

Now that you've gotten answers to your questions (some of which you're not going to appreciate, I'm certain), you need to get to the FAQ Emporium and do some reading. Many forum members have compiled a great deal of information and consolidated it in one location to make researching questions and problems easier. I suggest going there and doing a lot of reading.

And you're not halfway there. I have a working PC in my truck, and I feel I'm BARELY halfway there!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You will be much happier with the ending result by buying a new VGA screen and use the one you currently have as secondary (back seat) screen.

No you aren't anywhere near starting point yet.
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

DEF go for a VGA screen no doubt. You will only regret it if you dont.

Also, hold out for a touchscreen. Even if you dont use the touch system at first it gives you the option to expand in future

Dave
        -----------------
        Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
        -----------------

Comment

Oh and may be worth checking out Shotgun FX's blog as he has written almost every step of his install with lots of detail and pictures on the fabrication and custom mods etc. You kind have to go "backwards" through the pages though to see it in order
          -----------------
          Dashboard Monkey - CarPC News, reviews, installs and more
          -----------------

Comment

DarquePervert - Nah, I don't mind the criticism, that's what makes me a newbie here. I'm looking for something with a footprint of 11" x 5.75" ... and up to around 3" high. Though I'm not aware of many soundcards in the last 15 years that are 2.1 sound, usually the subwoofer channel is filtered out by the speakers, not the sound card or drivers.?

MatrixPC & itrends - Is there a difference in resolution with a VGA screen really.. or is it more for connectivity purposes? It will be difficult for me to go with a VGA screen considering my reverse camera uses RCA, as well as my slim PS2 install. The deck I'm using now is a 7.5" motorized unit, it includes a full AM/FM tuner, amp, video and audio tuning, plus controls my DVD-changer. This is how I would like it set up:

Video 1: Reverse Camera
            Video 2: DVD-Changer/CD Changer
            Video 3: Playstation Install (video)
            Video 4: Carputer

I keep everything hidden though and unseen.. it's a very clean install, since I don't have a whole lot of room to play with, like with a truck or SUV. This install is for a BMW 3-series.

Also, thanks for that blog link... I'll read it from top to bottom.

Comment

there is a huge difference in the overall readability of a vga screen compared to a composite..... huge....

also, I agree with those who have said your no where near 50%..... I don't even think you can claim 10% there at this point.... my pc's been fully up & running in my car for close to a year & I'm at maybe 80%.....

have you considered a laptop install? sounds like it may work with your size constraints, but laptops have there own unique set of challenges....
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by NO CARRIER
                DarquePervert - Nah, I don't mind the criticism, that's what makes me a newbie here. I'm looking for something with a footprint of 11" x 5.75" ... and up to around 3" high. Though I'm not aware of many soundcards in the last 15 years that are 2.1 sound, usually the subwoofer channel is filtered out by the speakers, not the sound card or drivers.?
                Any recent soundcard can output 2.1. Just don't use the other available channels if it's not in your setup plans.

And your dimensions are really, really tight. There's not a lot that fits 11x5.75". NanoITX boards are tiny, but pricey and hard to lay hands on. Same goes for SBCs (single board computers) that would fit that space.

What everyone else has said about VGA output is true, as well. Composite output quality ranges from absolute dog **** at the low end to barely readable.
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input.. really making me rethink my plans. I guess a carputer is something you have to kinda have in the plan to begin with, not easily integratable to an existing ICE system.

I guess this is something I want then.. VGA + RCA + TV Tuner + Motorized display: http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=206 ... any other products similar to this?

Comment

There are a few single-DIN in-dash monitors on the market presently. Shoot, there's a few int eh mp3car.com store alone. Also check out Digitalww.com and Logicsupply.com for additional products.

I'm eyeing the Xenarc 700IDT for a few reasons:
                    1) There's no motor to fail or moving parts to wear out.
                    2) Xenarc/Gain screens have a better quality rep than Lilliput
                    3) You can fit a slim optical drive inside with a little effort.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                    X