Newbie looking for opinions on what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for opinions on what to do

I've been reading these forums for a while. I have a friend who is willing to sell me a loaded Mac Mini for $300, and I'm looking for opinions on whether that would be a good starting point. My other concern is that I have a convertible, and I'm concerned that I won't be able to see the display during the day with the top down.

I would like to use it for:
    1. Music
    2. Radio
    3. Nav

I don't really care too much about playing CDs or DVDs.

Looking for help, Thanks!

Yes. You just need to get a touchscreen. What kind of vert do you have?
    My Worklog

Comment

I guess it is interesting that you are looking for new ideas but you have already ruled out DVDs and CDs. Keep your mind open

I am in the same stage as you are. I'm still planning because I won't have the money to put into the project until June 2006. Here is a list of things I want so far; I hope this might help you brainstorm.
      • Mp3s
      • FM
      • Posibly XM
      • CD
      • GPS - > Navigation
      • On board diagnositcs (OBD)
      • DVDs
      • TV
      • video game emulators
      • persistant internet connection -> for using web apps and uploading my data to one of my servers
      • USB relays to control some extra lighting systems (one example is lights in the door handles)
      • Touchscreen

And it all started as wanting to play mp3s in my car and not wanting to buy a new stereo and some fancy adaptor for my creative MP3 player.
      freak3dot - Computer Science Degree
      ---------------------------------
      1994 Chevy Cavalier

Phase 1 parts purchased.

Comment

If you don't want to buy that Mini, send your friend's address to me - I'll buy it for $300

You may have trouble seeing the screen. Xenarcs are among the brightest. They are brighter still if you don't get a touchscreen overlay.

GPS on the Mac is limited to either Route 66 or using Virtual PC to run a PC GPS program.

If you need ideas on how to install a Mac Mini and the pros and cons, check the FAQ Emporium. There is a FAQ on how to install a Mac Mini in there.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks for the help.

My car is an '06 Mustang vert. What do the other vert owners say? In the summer I always have the top down, so I want to make sure that I will be able to see it. I won't do it without the touchscreen, and I'm willing to spend a little extra on the Xenarc.

I won't rule out DVDs or CDs, but I will have most of my CD collection on there, and the car is too small to safely watch DVDs anyway.

I also know womeone who has an Eclipse 5435 for sale for around $1000. I like the flexibility of the carpc, but the Eclipse would be easier. Has anyone seen the Eclipse in a vert? I'm wondering if I would have the same issue with that as well.

Comment

Working...
          X