Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reusing desktop computer in a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reusing desktop computer in a car

    I have a desktop computer that no one uses any more so i was thinking about using it for a carpc. What could i use from my desktop and what would i need to buy? i'm guessing some kind of way to power it, a 7 inch lilliput touch screen, and a smaller keyboard that i could put in the glove box or something. Another problem is that the computer im thinking about using is windows 98 and is a celeron processer, but i don't think that should be a problem if i use frodoplayer b/c i heard it doesn't take much to run it well. Any help is appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by caboose
    I have a desktop computer that no one uses any more so i was thinking about using it for a carpc. What could i use from my desktop and what would i need to buy? i'm guessing some kind of way to power it, a 7 inch lilliput touch screen, and a smaller keyboard that i could put in the glove box or something. Another problem is that the computer im thinking about using is windows 98 and is a celeron processer, but i don't think that should be a problem if i use frodoplayer b/c i heard it doesn't take much to run it well. Any help is appreciated.
    A Carputer is a computer, plain and simple. What works in your house, will work in your car. The only real concern is the DC-DC PS and powering your system.

    Start reading here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah i figured, but my main question is will frodoplayer work on a computer with windows 98?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm doing the same thing! I have a 500 mhz p3 that is collecting dust; it will become my carputer. I'm going to add some ram, buy an 80 gig or larger HD, psu, and call it a rap. I'm using plexi-glass as my case, and will leave it exposed.
        Pictures are coming.

        good luck w// your project.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks, you too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by caboose
            yeah i figured, but my main question is will frodoplayer work on a computer with windows 98?
            Yes.

            You need to do some searching in the forums, as all these questions have been answered multiple times.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?



            Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

            Comment


            • #7
              ok sorry, i did search around tho, or else id have tons more questions.

              Comment


              • #8
                you could also probably get windows XP to run on the PC... just disable all the useless crap that XP has and it will run on almost any thing.
                (i had it running on some old old 200mhz pcs..slowly, but it did run)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VPrime
                  you could also probably get windows XP to run on the PC... just disable all the useless crap that XP has and it will run on almost any thing.
                  (i had it running on some old old 200mhz pcs..slowly, but it did run)
                  How well did it run??? My school gives us -free- software and I was told that XP wouldn't run well on my old 700mhz p3 128mb ram laptop. They claimed that XP would require more ram --256--

                  I would love XP on my desktop converted carputer, but I have a free copy of W2K on my old laptop HD.




                  I've spent about $20 on this project nuts, 2 L brackets and some plexi-glass.

                  Everything should be ready by mid april; due to budget constraints (im maxed out for this month)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It was pretty slow, took VERY long to start up, and a lot of the hard ware wasnt detected (like sound card)
                    but i could run IE and notepad, word ad etc.

                    I wouldnt say it would be pratical but it did work.

                    I think the 700mhz p3 would be fine, We installed XP on a few P2 500 (i think?) at school and it ran pretty quickly.

                    I plan on using a 700mhz celeron for my carpc... hopefully i will be atleat (free from shcool if all goes well )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm aiming for the cheapest carputer build in history, but I have alot of extra stuff that i need to buy: speakers, alarm, converting car to powr windows, new ac fan, new climate control unit, tint .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shines
                        I'm aiming for the cheapest carputer build in history
                        I started with the same approach - figured I could juryrig up something with the stuff lying around.

                        Now I find that it would have cost me a lot less if I had just shelled out the money and done it right from the start.

                        Cheap. Fast. Good. Choose two.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I dont understand how doing it right the first time really applies to what im doing..... Everything Im using so far has been free, and whatever new products I purchase like: lcd, psu, can be reused in another install.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Shines
                            I dont understand how doing it right the first time really applies to what im doing..... Everything Im using so far has been free, and whatever new products I purchase like: lcd, psu, can be reused in another install.
                            It appears as if all he meant was, while you are trying the cheapest install in history, that may not be all that cheap in the end, because what you have lying around may not be suitable for a carputer installation. Just keep in mind that whatever you have lying around free, might not be suitable for your carputer.

                            This comes from mine, and a lot of peoples personal experience.

                            Michael
                            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                              It appears as if all he meant was, while you are trying the cheapest install in history, that may not be all that cheap in the end, because what you have lying around may not be suitable for a carputer installation. Just keep in mind that whatever you have lying around free, might not be suitable for your carputer.

                              This comes from mine, and a lot of peoples personal experience.

                              Michael
                              Thank you for clarifying. That is what I was too lazy to say in detail.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X