Case sizes...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case sizes...

For those of us who are planning on running a desktop PC....I was looking at microATX cases and mobos and the cases aren't really that small, maybe just 3 inches shorter in height and depth and usually the same width as a standard ATX case. Are most of you people building custom ghetto-ized cases or what? Cases are like 15-17 inches tall and I don't even have that much height in the trunk from the floor to the bottom of the rear 6x9s, I only have 14 inches height.

Are most of you that are running microATX using cube boxes like Shuttle, Antec Aria, Silverstone SG01?

Anyone having heat issues with placing their PCs near their amps for those of us with sound systems with subs, etc.?

Originally posted by SuprchargdMazda
    For those of us who are planning on running a desktop PC....I was looking at microATX cases and mobos and the cases aren't really that small, maybe just 3 inches shorter in height and depth and usually the same width as a standard ATX case. Are most of you people building custom ghetto-ized cases or what? Cases are like 15-17 inches tall and I don't even have that much height in the trunk from the floor to the bottom of the rear 6x9s, I only have 14 inches height.

Are most of you that are running microATX using cube boxes like Shuttle, Antec Aria, Silverstone SG01?

Anyone having heat issues with placing their PCs near their amps for those of us with sound systems with subs, etc.?
    Cases, as you have noticed, are a very difficult part of carputing.

If you can't find a ready made version which are mostly made for the Epia MINI ITX, you have to do it yourself. This is true of the MicroATX. I built mine out of wood originally. Most people build them themselves.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

i used an extra amp shroud for mine. you should buy it off of me
      seriously though... just use your imagination:
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Any good threads with examples of this?

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
          i used an extra amp shroud for mine. you should buy it off of me
          seriously though... just use your imagination:

Hows that working out for you? Seems like heat may be an issue...

Comment

only was an issue once. it was mid summer afternoon in the valley. my car was parked in direct sunlight kfor a few hours, it hurt just getting into the car. the computer wouldnt boot because it was in it's protect mode. drove about a mile down the road with the top down and it booted up and had no problems.
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Wish I could do something like this but he's not using a microATX board so I doubt it would have any chance of fitting...http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ht=custom+case

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                only was an issue once. it was mid summer afternoon in the valley. my car was parked in direct sunlight kfor a few hours, it hurt just getting into the car. the computer wouldnt boot because it was in it's protect mode. drove about a mile down the road with the top down and it booted up and had no problems.
                sorry to get out of track here, but which part exactly has temprature protect mode? I live in the middle east, the hottest place on earth and i hope its the epia board you have that has this feature.

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Best place for a the PC is under passenger seat. If it high enought (4-6"), you can custom build a case for it. Mine is built out of plexi at 10x14x5.6 using mATX mobo.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                    Best place for a the PC is under passenger seat. If it high enought (4-6"), you can custom build a case for it. Mine is built out of plexi at 10x14x5.6 using mATX mobo.

IF you're not running a system, right? Its easier to have it in the trunk with the amp cables you have to connect to the audio card, in my case anyway, since Ill be throwing out the head unit to make way for the screen in the double DIN slot. So that way all I really need to run thru the interior is a USB from the pc to the screen pretty much. Am I right or wrong here?

Comment

Originally posted by SuprchargdMazda
                      IF you're not running a system, right? Its easier to have it in the trunk with the amp cables you have to connect to the audio card, in my case anyway, since Ill be throwing out the head unit to make way for the screen in the double DIN slot. So that way all I really need to run thru the interior is a USB from the pc to the screen pretty much. Am I right or wrong here?

How do you plan to connect the carputer to the rest of the audio system, and not just the amps and subs?

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Nope, I don't run any amp (not yet) and I do have HU in the car. The amp I am putting in will be under the driver seat so cable still have to be run from the HU back to the amp.
                        It's not really that much of a running cables if it is in the trunk or in the cabin. Without the PC, people with amps and such still have to run cables back to the HU.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                        X