advice on 89 bonneville sse install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on 89 bonneville sse install

Hey I have a 1989 bonneville sse , and I come across a great find b/c I got a 17 inch touch screen with the computer built in , for free . I was at a job site and thease fools where going to throw it away , They had to be mistaken but i took advtage of it , its running windows 2000 pro with a 1ghz pent 60 gig hard drive dvd drive , the works . so since i got this whole unit in one peice I decided to put it in my car , I started off by taking the case and tearing it all to hell and gutted just what i needed . So now I got my touch screen Sitting in front of my factory head unit , I installed a sound blaster audio card and just ran one those tape converter things u see all the time with walkmans from the speaker out on my card to my head . This way I can still use the volume and all my buttons that are factory installed in the sterring wheel . I went a head and took the dvd drive out seeing how I went a head and loaded about 30 gigs of mp3s on the drive b4 i installed it and I plan on adding a wireless net adapter that way I can just pull into my driveway and download anything i want from my network . But my question is this car is ******* loaded to be a 89 , I was wondering if there was a way I can intergate my car into the computer , Like I would liek to have all the driver infermation opn my computer , and use the cars digital compas on it . And it would be nice to take some the buttons on the stering wheel to skip tracks and so on anyone got any ideas , or have worked with a car with a sim dash , b/c right now my install is ugly as hell pretty much everything is just laying there b/c I wanted a good plan b4 i started cutting into the dash , I have pics Up here soon

Originally posted by schism61
    Like I would liek to have all the driver infermation opn my computer
    Elaborate on that... What info?
    and use the cars digital compas on it
    Any navigation software has that option built in. Invest ~$50 in a GPS Receiver and consider the compass idea done.
    And it would be nice to take some the buttons on the stering wheel to skip tracks and so on anyone got any ideas
    Read through the Input Devices subforum; many people have mentioned it there already. Also run a search on the keywords steering wheel control or so...
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

OK when I say driver info , My car has a lil lcd window in the dash and when you start the car it gose through a lil start up check , tires , doors , engine fludis , etc etc etc . keeps up witht he miles and when the next oil change and stuff is , I was wondering if i can somehow put that to my cimputer
      i have heard about chips that u can plug into some cars and hook it up to a laptop or something and it rerads the info from your car computer

Comment

Anything integrated into the car might be able to be pulled using some sort of OBDII interface (I think those are the chips you're talking about). Short of that being available, you're pretty much out of luck unless you're an electronics wizard.
        My Worklog

Comment

Working...
        X