Interference n00b question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interference n00b question

So I have my new carputer all the way from Germany (cartft.com) and my new in-dash screen all the way from China (lilliput).

Finally have it all installed and its working like a champ! There is just one problem, it is picking up interference somewhere along the line.
    Basically in my car it sounds like a whistling sound (relative to the revs of the car - higher pitch at higher revs); and as you can imagine - its quite irritating!
    It is doing the exact same thing in my friends car (we both have the exact same carpc equipment, but different cars).

Initially we were running 1 ground from the carpc and 1 from the screen. We were also running all the cables on the one side of the car.
    We have changed this so that it is now running 1 ground cable from the carpc and 2 seperate grounds from the screen (the screen actually has 2 ground cables coming out of it).
    We also changed it so that the power cable runs on the one side of the car, and the other cables (audio, usb) run on the other side of the car. Unfortunately there is still no luck and it still makes that sound.

I have also tried completely removing the USB cable as that can carry power, but it didnt do anything.
    The funny part about this whistling sound is that on some days it will be louder than others, sometimes it will seem as if its not even there!

I am fresh out of ideas and apparently a 'filter' is the one way to go, but should be seen as a last resort. Anyone have any ideas?

PS - Currently my car is lying in pieces because I dont want to close anything up until I have this issue sorted - I really hate riding around like this, but anyway, I have included some images for the heck of it - just to show cable widths n stuff.

PS II - We tested all the grounds with a voltmeter n stuff and apparently they are all grounded fine.
    Attached Files

all your cables are on one side of the car? try putting the signal cables on one side and the power cables on the other. i dont know much but i think that might have something to do with it
    [::::::::::] 100% - Planning
    [::::::::::] 80% - Computer
    [::::::::::] 0% - Fabbing
    CarPC:
    SP13000 / 120GB SATA 2.5" / 512MB DDR
    8" Innovatek TS / Globalsat BU-353 / Engenius EUB-362 EXT
    Slot load DVDRW / PS3 Wireless Keyboard

Comment

Hi A.T.E.; if you read further on - you will check thats what I did
      As you can check from those images, I have the power cable on the one side and the VGA/USB/RCA/Mic cables on the other side ;(

Comment

Go to Radio Shack and get the gold plated Ground Loop Isolator. Then plug it in to your amplifier...

P.S. Your problem is VERY common... It's being caused most likely from the Alternator.

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

nvm... im a moron its 2:41am and im out of energy drinks.
          [::::::::::] 100% - Planning
          [::::::::::] 80% - Computer
          [::::::::::] 0% - Fabbing
          CarPC:
          SP13000 / 120GB SATA 2.5" / 512MB DDR
          8" Innovatek TS / Globalsat BU-353 / Engenius EUB-362 EXT
          Slot load DVDRW / PS3 Wireless Keyboard

Comment

Working...
          X