No announcement yet.

What i need to carputer, complete list?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What i need to carputer, complete list?

Hi,
    it's obvious, that i need display, motherboard, memory, hdd, psu, case and so on, but what else i need?

Some kind of shutdown/startup controller?

I was thinking these:
    1 x Ampie Car Computer Case
    1 x VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
    1 x M1-ATX 90 Watt - Smart Automotive Power Supply
    1 x Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen 619GL-70NP
    1 x IDE to Mini IDE (2.5" hard drive) cable
    1 x Pioneer Slot Load DVR-K05 DVD±R/+R DL/±RW Dual Drive 8X

or would it be better to build the first carputer from mATX parts?
    ......in progress......

If you've got the cash, go ahead and buy all the stuff and see how it goes. That looks like a decent list and you'll be fairly happy with it. Some additional items I don't see here...

hard drive
    ram
    usb to ide (for connecting pioneer drive to motherboard for dash mounting (vs. mounting in the ampie case, if that's even possible).
    My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by peecee
      If you've got the cash, go ahead and buy all the stuff and see how it goes. That looks like a decent list and you'll be fairly happy with it. Some additional items I don't see here...

hard drive
      ram
      usb to ide (for connecting pioneer drive to motherboard for dash mounting (vs. mounting in the ampie case, if that's even possible).
      That's right, previous list did not include hdd&ram, because i'm going to use my old parts.
      Pioneer cd/dvd is meant to be dash mounted...

So i will add "usb to ide" adapter to my list....

Is there anything else, i MUST have?
      ......in progress......

Comment

Caaaaaaaaaaables, please calculate the cost of cables and adapter, connectors etc in. You'll see it adds up pretty quickly.
        Asus MicroATX with GeFore 6100, Mobile Sempron 3300+, 1Gig Ram, 320GB 3.5" 7200UPM HDD, M2-ATX, Gain/Xenarc 7"

Fast IS my copilot

Comment

that's pretty much the same set up i am doing.

Comment

Basic setup...looks good....

I suggest:

USB WiFi adapter
            USB GPS
            Some kind of more detailed Sound Information. If you dont have an amp, consider it, also, you need some way to integrate the sound into the car, ie throught the head unit or directly to amp.

other than that...looks good

Oh and some kind of I/O device, like keyboard and mouse...even if the screen has a TS, you never know when you may need to type something, at least during set up.
            Brown 2010

Comment

Including cables you have a good starters kit. Once you get going you'll find you'll want to add stuff like: cameras, GPS, radio, HUD, OBD-II integration, sound card, to name a few.

Good luck with the install

Comment

USB WiFi adapter - no need for this
                USB GPS - will come later

I'll be using 2 amps, smaller one (MT-504) for speakers (SPLDynamics EXT-6.2) and bigger one (DIG-1450) for sub (SPLDynamics PRO 12D4).

No need for mouse, i'll use keyboard...

How "good" is integrated line-out, need for pre-amp?
                ......in progress......

Comment

before you buy ANYTHING setup a wiring diagram... you need to know what gauge wires you need, how long the cables will be and where everything will be located
                  2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Wire gauge is very important. you definatly do not want to skimp out here, you can end up not being able to get your unit to start. Also a wiring diagram is a necesity. If you dont know how things are going to be hooked up before hand, something will be forgotten and the troubleshooting can be extremely frustrating.
                    Brown 2010

Comment

Agree, and make sure you do the wiring right the first time. I diddn't, and 99.9% of the problems I had were caused by sloppy wiring, loose contacts, stuff like that.
                      Asus MicroATX with GeFore 6100, Mobile Sempron 3300+, 1Gig Ram, 320GB 3.5" 7200UPM HDD, M2-ATX, Gain/Xenarc 7"

Fast IS my copilot

Comment

YES... don't go half assed on the install either. I had the same issues. A sloppy solder here a crappy crimp there. I was too eager to see the result and it took 4x as long to set up and tweak than if I had done it right the first time. I had to re-do at least 50% of wiring because of my lack of patience. So relax, plan away, and have patience. Thats the difference between a good setup and an extraordinary one.
                        Brown 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Sidewalksalvage
                          YES... don't go half assed on the install either. I had the same issues. A sloppy solder here a crappy crimp there. I was too eager to see the result and it took 4x as long to set up and tweak than if I had done it right the first time. I had to re-do at least 50% of wiring because of my lack of patience. So relax, plan away, and have patience. Thats the difference between a good setup and an extraordinary one.
                          Couldn't have said it better

Fast IS my copilot

Comment

Working...
                          X