Seperate Amps For Speakers And Subs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperate Amps For Speakers And Subs?

Ok, I am 100% positive this is a very newbie like question, so don't bother to call me one because I know that I am definately a noob.

Do you use an amp for all 4 speakers, and then a seperate amp for the sub?

Thanks for any replies.

Or you can use 1 amp for all 4 speakers and the sub. Just depends on how many channels the amp has. If you get a 6 channel amp, you can run 6 speakers. A 4 channel amp can run 4 speakers...etc.

Also, 5 and 6 channel amps cost big bucks. They arent cheap. So if you are on a budget, you can get a 4 channel amp for the 4 speakers, and then a seperate mono or 2 channel amp for the sub.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

Originally posted by nameeri
      and then a seperate mono or 2 channel amp for the sub.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that a mono amp has 1 channel. What would be the point of using a 2 channel amp for the sub? Is there some way to hook up the 2 channels in the sub to create more power? Or could the exact same amount of power be achieved just using a mono channel amp?

Comment

Most two channel amps can run in mono mode. And they are easier to find then a strictly mono amp. So if you are able to find a cheaper two channel model that runs in mono mode, you are better off. Otherwise, if price is no concern, I would say that you should go for a full blown 6 channel amp and a nice surround sound card (SB Audigy if you are doing a carputer) and then you can get true surround sound out of the car. That would be really sweet. ofcourse, you would have to mount that blasted center channel somewhere in your dash, that could be a pain. but thats neither here nor there.
        ----------------------------------------------
        Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

usually mono amps are cheaper and are designed for to be more efficient at the cost of sound quality. luckily you wont hear the difference in the sub frequencies...or you're less likely to hear the difference. They are usually more versitile as well, most of them can run stable at 2 ohms (hence creating more power) where a 2 chan amp would most likely need to be run at 4 ohms.
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
          X