another nav question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another nav question

this was posted by a member of bimmerforums, im curious about this also, and thought a better answer could be found here:

Navigation idea, does this work?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well right now im looking at lcd screens for in my car, and id like to have navigation, as well as the other normal functions of a screen like movies, games etc. All the gps units i see (like tomtom) have color touch screen but im pretty sure they only function as screens for the gps. And i dont want to pay $1000 for one of the pioneer units with all those other features (i already have a headunit etc, so i dont need al that). Ive seen the computer based gps recivers which are only $160 or so. They say they just need a dvd rom and a usb port. So i got to thinking, my ps2 has a usb and plays dvds, any way that i could use the ps2 to operate the gps and run it through a normal lcd screen in my car? i know its kind of an out-ther idea.

need more info on this PC based GPS reciver. Sure it isnt just something like Iguidance and the likes? Even if it insnt am guessing its going to need windows to control it
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

You need to tell the fine folks at the bimmerforums to quit being snobs and come here to ask their own questions.

To use a PC-based GPS receiver ($65 new for a USB unit), software to interpret the datqa from the GPS receiver (NMEA sentences, basically) and a set of maps on which to plot the data. The last piece is the pricey portion. iGuidance (a popular GPS navigation software package) runs about $100 or so. You can get it bundled with the GPS receiver, as well.

That means in order to have PC-based GPS navigation in the car, you need a PC in teh car. The PS2 ain't gonna cut it UNLESS you can get a USB-serial driver for the PS2 and software/mapdata running on the PS2 as well.
      Unless you're already a PS2 developer, you can hang this one up.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        You need to tell the fine folks at the bimmerforums to quit being snobs and come here to ask their own questions.

To use a PC-based GPS receiver ($65 new for a USB unit), software to interpret the datqa from the GPS receiver (NMEA sentences, basically) and a set of maps on which to plot the data. The last piece is the pricey portion. iGuidance (a popular GPS navigation software package) runs about $100 or so. You can get it bundled with the GPS receiver, as well.

That means in order to have PC-based GPS navigation in the car, you need a PC in teh car. The PS2 ain't gonna cut it UNLESS you can get a USB-serial driver for the PS2 and software/mapdata running on the PS2 as well.
        Unless you're already a PS2 developer, you can hang this one up.
        lol, im not sure they're being snobs, i dont think too many people from there know about this forum....but i'll spread the word....
        i didnt think it was possible to do this with the ps2, but i thought id ask anyways, u never know, there are some smart *****ing people out there...

how about with an xbox? would that be possible? the xbox is more like a pc because software can be loaded on them.....if my thoughts are completly rediculous...please spare me, as i am a noooooooooooooob

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateDrivr
          how about with an xbox? would that be possible? the xbox is more like a pc because software can be loaded on them.....if my thoughts are completly rediculous...please spare me, as i am a noooooooooooooob
          Same situation, althought eh XBox is closer to a PC than a PS2 on a hardware level...
          Your questions aren't outlandish. They've been assked before.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            Same situation, althought eh XBox is closer to a PC than a PS2 on a hardware level...
            Your questions aren't outlandish. They've been assked before.
            THANKS

Comment

Working...
            X