Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tapping into stock radio harness for igntion power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping into stock radio harness for igntion power?

can i just tap into the power wire that would turn my stock radio instead of tapping directly into the ignition wires?

yes, or, which is easier, you can tap into the cig lighter, it (in most cars) only comes on with the acc position. this is where i got my "ign" from.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
    Pictures
    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

If you do that make sure you test it first. My cars all have at least one power outlet that is always on.
      Spent so far: $1,755
      Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
      CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
      Don't mess with Texas.
      It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

does anyone know where i can find the radio wiring diagrams for a 2001 vw golf?

Comment

Originally posted by VW_Carputer
          I don't have it, but if you have the radio pulled you can easily find it with a test light or a multi meter.
          -WarDriver-
          Server Administrator
          Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
          My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

The VW vortex forum has all that you need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1835863

From there scroll down to the 'Interior electronics' tab.

I've found all the wiring details for the stock Monsoon hu it's amp and the wiring harness for the optional cd changer.

I've done alot with the cd changer wiring. It runs from the back of the Hu to the trunk/hatch area. I loped off the connectors and installed power connections and control switches for the pc/inverter that I have mounted in
            the trunk.

Comment

im a member on there but i cant find the diagram

Comment

Attached Files
                The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

A lot of 12VDC cigerette lighter outlets are not switched and will always remain hot. This is a safety feature that some manufacturer's do to ensure that the outlets can still be used in the event of an emergency (ie. to charge/use a cellphone). Your best bet is going to be the IGN line going in to the radio. Remember, atleast one wire is going to be constant 12VDC. This one retains the memory to the stereo. This is not the wire that you want. Like a few others have said in this thread, get a multimeter. It doesn't have to be that expensive. Mine was twenty dollars from RadioShack and it was money well spent. It is probably the single most used tool when it comes to putting stereo/CarPC equipment in the car. Using the multimeter, find you wire that puts out 12VDC when the car is on or in ACC. Turn the car off. If the voltage disappears then this is the wire that you want to tap in to.

Derek
                  Progress [||-------]
                  View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                  Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Originally posted by fixerofallthing
                    Here is the part of the diagram you are aking about.
                    [ATTACH]29805[/ATTACH]
                    Looking at that wiring diagram (which looks incomplete) it looks like the yellow/red wire is the one that you are looking for.

But this diagram does not look like it really shows the stereo. It shows the wires from the ignition going in to what appears to be some sort of control module but does not show the actual stereo. Look at the speakers. Where are those wires coming from...? That's the portion of the diagram that I think would help the most.

Derek

EDIT: Looking at the double-din Monsoon sub thread someone says the gray wire will work. This wire does not react with the ignition but instead is hot when the stereo is on.

EDIT2: Per the12volt.com wiring diagram for a 2000 Jetta:
                    Code:
                    2000 Volkswagen Jetta Stereo Information
                    ----------------------------------------
                    Constant 12V+	Red/White 
                    Switched 12V+ 	Gray/Blue 
                    Ground    	Brown 
                    Illumination 	n/a 
                    Dimmer  	n/a 
                    Antenna 	Left Front 
                    Front Speakers 	6 1/2" Doors
                    Left Front (+) 	Blue/Black 
                    Left Front (-) 	Orange/Blue 
                    Right Front (+) Red/White 
                    Right Front (-) Orange/White 
                    Rear Speakers 	6 1/2" Rear Doors
                    Left Rear (+) 	Red/Light Green 
                    Left Rear (-) 	Orange/Black 
                    Right Rear (+) 	Blue/Light Green 
                    Right Rear (-) 	Orange/Red
                    Looking at this, I'd say Gray/White is what you're looking for. (PS. I am not familiar with Jetta years so hopefully the 2000 and your 2002 are similiar.)
                    Progress [||-------]

Comment

can i just tap into the power wire that would turn my stock radio instead of tapping directly into the ignition wires?
                      Sorry to be hogging your thread but are you simply looking for a turn-on wire or to power your computer. This is fine as a turn-one wire but NOT TO POWER your CarPC.

Take a look at the FAQ: How to Wire an OPUS PSU to help you out if you're looking to power the CarPC. Basically, you will need to get the power if directly from the battery. I do not recommend using the cigerette lighter plugs for this even if you are using an inverter. Go direct to the battery but use the information that I posted above to turn the power on and off.

Derek
                      Progress [||-------]

Comment

yea, no im not going to power it from there lol. i will run a line from the battery. i just figured it would be easyer to get the ign wire from the radio harness which will work, i just got to get out there one day with a multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1
                          Looking at that wiring diagram (which looks incomplete) it looks like the yellow/red wire is the one that you are looking for.

But this diagram does not look like it really shows the stereo. It shows the wires from the ignition going in to what appears to be some sort of control module but does not show the actual stereo. Look at the speakers. Where are those wires coming from...? That's the portion of the diagram that I think would help the most.

Derek

EDIT: Looking at the double-din Monsoon sub thread someone says the gray wire will work. This wire does not react with the ignition but instead is hot when the stereo is on.

EDIT2: Per the12volt.com wiring diagram for a 2000 Jetta:
                          Code:
                          2000 Volkswagen Jetta Stereo Information
                          ----------------------------------------
                          Constant 12V+	Red/White 
                          Switched 12V+ 	Gray/Blue 
                          Ground    	Brown 
                          Illumination 	n/a 
                          Dimmer  	n/a 
                          Antenna 	Left Front 
                          Front Speakers 	6 1/2" Doors
                          Left Front (+) 	Blue/Black 
                          Left Front (-) 	Orange/Blue 
                          Right Front (+) Red/White 
                          Right Front (-) Orange/White 
                          Rear Speakers 	6 1/2" Rear Doors
                          Left Rear (+) 	Red/Light Green 
                          Left Rear (-) 	Orange/Black 
                          Right Rear (+) 	Blue/Light Green 
                          Right Rear (-) 	Orange/Red
                          Looking at this, I'd say Gray/White is what you're looking for. (PS. I am not familiar with Jetta years so hopefully the 2000 and your 2002 are similiar.)

great thanks, i will probelly need those specs when hooking up the stock speakers to the carputer, amp and subbox.

Comment

yea, no im not going to power it from there lol. i will run a line from the battery. i just figured it would be easyer to get the ign wire from the radio harness which will work, i just got to get out there one day with a multimeter.
                            Unfortunately that little wire is not going to be able to pass the current needed to power your CarPC. The cable that is/will be going to the amp(s) for the sub(s) will work. I'm running with a 4-ga cable. Take a look the the12volt.com's Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes to get an idea of what size cable to run. Take the RMS of your amps and power supply and get the appropriate length of your car. Don't forget the cable is going to be running up and down stuff that will ultimately add to your length. Split the line at the end with a fused power distribution block to send the power to your amp(s) and PSU. That ignition wire will come in handy when it comes time to wire everything up becuase that wire is what will turn on the amp(s) and PSU. Just be aware that in some installs the stereo system will POP when the sound card is initialized. Search the forum for POP AMP to get some ideas to remedy the problem (I recommend a delayed relay timer.)

Derek
                            Progress [||-------]

Comment

couldnt he just go to the fuse box and use the acc radio fuse and tap into it??
                              i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Working...
                              X