Extreme noob question about Cigarette lighter port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme noob question about Cigarette lighter port

I have a 1990 Nissan Sentra, and I just bought a ipod connector that plugs in through the cig. lighter port,and to my ipod. I was wondering If the car is turned off, would it be ok to leave the connector in the cigarette charger or would it drain my battery over time. If anyone could give me a for sure answer I would highly appriciate it. I wouldnt want my car to run out of battery power on some random road or anything. Thanks

Originally posted by Leviathanmike
    I have a 1990 Nissan Sentra, and I just bought a ipod connector that plugs in through the cig. lighter port,and to my ipod. I was wondering If the car is turned off, would it be ok to leave the connector in the cigarette charger or would it drain my battery over time. If anyone could give me a for sure answer I would highly appriciate it. I wouldnt want my car to run out of battery power on some random road or anything. Thanks
    if the car is off all the electronics are shut down so it'll not drain the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathanmike
      probelly not. look at your ipod battery compaired to your car battery. i would try to charge while your car is running but as long as the cig charger has a overcharge protection which most have it should be fine.

Comment

Depends on the car. Does your lighter socket turn off with the key or does it stay on all the time? If it stays on all the time, it probably has NO PROTECTION ON IT. Especially on a 1990 model.

Comment

Don't think cars had the always-on cigerette lighter plugs back then. Just look to see if your iPod is charging when the car is off and that will tell you if you can leave it hooked up.

Derek

PS. Just be sure to keep it out of sight when you're not around. Someone may decide that they may need it more than you do. Happened to me with my radar detector...
          Progress [||-------]
          View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
          Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

thanks a bunch guys

Comment

Cigarette lighters are on a switched 12 volt source. The car shuts off all power to it when the car is off for safety reasons. So you can jam your fingers in there if you want while the car is off and nothing will happen.
              Ampie Case
              2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
              Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
              Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

In my car the cig lighter stays powered. I think in newer cars they started doing this so you could power a cell phone if the car would not start. I know when my phone charger is plugged in, the LEDs stay lit when the key is out of the car. You should be able to leave the ipod plugged in and turn off the car and see if it charges or not. If it does, it could drain the battery I would think. if it does not, then it answers your question...
                ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

My lighter is a 12 volt constant source.

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano
                    Cigarette lighters are on a switched 12 volt source. The car shuts off all power to it when the car is off for safety reasons. So you can jam your fingers in there if you want while the car is off and nothing will happen.

Not true for all models. Our suburban stays powered but the toyota does not.
                    TruckinMP3
                    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

From my experience, the 80s and early 90's cars that I used to own, the lighter was constant 12 volt. Mid to late 90's cars that I have seen, the lighter shuts off with the car. And the newer 2000+ cars seem to be constant 12 volt.

I think it varies (obviously) on the make and model of the car. From the initial question, it sounds like his is constant 12 volts when car is off. Why else would he ask the question?
                      www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob
                        Why else would he ask the question?
                        Cause he is a NOOB and has no idea???

And all the people who are like, The lighter plug shuts off with the car probably has no experience with any other car besides thier own.

There is no standard when it comes to the cigarette lighter and being powered while off. Some cars power it all the time, some do not. There is no correlation between year, it is just what the manufacturer wants, and they are RARELY consistent. Now adays though, with the increase of manufacturers including several power ports in a vehicle, they usually have switched and non switched ports in the vehicle.

OP, you just got to check and see if it stays powered. If it does, your battery WILL eventually die. If not, then your IPOD will not charge when the car is off, and the battery will be fine.

Michael
                        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by d_sellers1
                          Don't think cars had the always-on cigerette lighter plugs back then. Just look to see if your iPod is charging when the car is off and that will tell you if you can leave it hooked up.

Derek

PS. Just be sure to keep it out of sight when you're not around. Someone may decide that they may need it more than you do. Happened to me with my radar detector...

Maybe someone was getting more tickets than you did, and I know how hard they are to come by after getting mine confiscated and being fined.
                          Teach me.

Comment

Are we talking about the key in the ACC position? I realize the car doesn't actually have to be running.
                            Ampie Case
                            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano
                              Are we talking about the key in the ACC position? I realize the car doesn't actually have to be running.
                              Basically some cars = lighter plug always has voltage going through
                              other cars = key needs to be turned, but engine doesn't need to be started.
                              Teach me.

Comment

Working...
                              X