Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi i'm new :)

Hi

i often take my laptop (hp nx9105) in the car with me... but getting new car (passat) sept 2nd and want to build a pc into it, i guess i could just buy bits and see how i get on but i'd rather seek advice and get it right first time

Steve

i'm after good run time when engine isn't running
    wireless access
    permenant net connection, gprs??
    gps, with mappoint 2006 europe
    music
    video
    tv
    would prefer in dash motor touch screen

got this type of dash with out cd
    2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

I guess I'm a little lost as to what you are asking here with your post?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

i need to know what to buy lol...
      2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

Comment

Thanks for posting in the Newbie section. We know this is a tough hobby to get into but you really have to do at least a little bit of reading before you post here. Please check out some of the FAQs or use the search features of the forum. You will find people much more willing to help you if you have put a bit more thought into your question

Comment

ok

i'll just start buying stuff then

Comment

He's right. You landed on the right forum, there's plenty of information to go through. Take your time to read at least the FAQs, they're worth your time.
            Project BioHazardous Material || BioHazard . LU
            ████████████████░░░░ CAR
            ████████████░░░░░░░░ LAPTOP
            █████████████░░░░░░░ FRONT-END SKIN
            ██████████████░░░░░░ PERIPHERALS
            ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ INTEGRATION

Comment

It makes many answers to your questions magically appear. Just cruise around the different forums and get an idea of what everyone similar is doing and then consider what you might do to make the project all your own.
              Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

Steve, while most of your post is generic stuff you can search for you also mention you want a good run time with the engine off. For this use you may want to consider looking into tank batteries with split charge systems. There will be a lot of info on here but I don't know if there are any FAQs for them.

Comment

i think i have the split charge sorted gonna use a big deep cycle battery and a towing relay

Self-Switching Combination Relay
                  H78
                  The self-switching combination relay is straightforward to fit and supplies power to the caravan's +12v, battery charging and refrigerator supplies only when the vehicles engine is running and the alternator is providing enough output. It automatically prioritises charging of the vehicle battery over all other functions, and requires no connection into the vehicle's alternator or ECU wiring

and a Leisure Battery (110 AMP)

Comment

ok been searching...

sorted the power feeds as above

now power supply

220w should cover everything?

MPEGBOX DSATX 220W DC-DC ATX Automotive

Comment

*****ed - I'm guessing you are referring to him running some aux batteries?

(THIS is the kind of discussion I don't mind helping out in at all btw! Thanks for searching Ste - it looks like you've gotten the hang of it rather quickly!)

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/hc2400.asp

You might consider something this extreme if you're after the absolute longest run time possible with the car off.

Another option: http://www.stingerelectronics.com/we...ies_power2.asp (the SP2150 or SP1700)

I was able to run a 2500 watt RMS system at full blast for 4 hours with the car off while tuning for SPL runs on the SP1700 alone.

How long are you wanting to be able to run the system for with the car off?
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

yes Red i was.

and i can't help but be amazed how different this this thread looks to yesterday.

By posts 10 and 11 we now have some good answers. amazing.

Comment

I'm surprised no one told him to do the obvious thing and put a laptop in there. Built in attery and the fact that there is no power hungry LCD to draiin it, you can run a laptop for nearly 5-6 hours with the car off when its fully charged. It also means that its a hell of alot easier to work with with changing installs and can be a multifunction machine ($600 that you can take anywhere instead of $600 you leave in your car).

Get an older or broken screen centrino top, a docking station, an inverter or DC-DC power supply, and an SDC and you can call it a day on the computing end. I mean, you can also have an ad hoc network for in the car and have an extenal wifi card that you bridge the connection for the internet if you're worried about wifi range being hampered.

THis is my setup thus far, and every day its becoming closer and closer to what i want it to

IBM R51 (main laptop computer with centrino, dual monitor capable off external VGA and S-Video)
                          Port Replicator 2/Mobility EV1000 (haven't decided which one yet)
                          CarPC Pro2.4 SDC + Serial adapter for laptops for
                          Husky 400Watt Inverter
                          Audigy NX
                          Avermedia USB UltraTV300 (for Nitemax cameras- see HUD project- but it has a TV antenna jack or you can use the built in one on the motorized screen)

and other little odds and ends. Add a phone or GPRS adapter and a USB gps and that's everything you actually want and more!

I figure, if you shop smart, the total cost to you will be $1000-$1200 US for EVERYTHING including the motorized monitor, you'll possibly opt for a DC-DC connection, and GPRS and TV if you shop decently smart

And yeah, i only commented cause Red did. I follow her everywhere (jk jk)
                          Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                          Genesis has speed
                          Genesis has class
                          Genesis sent money
                          before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste_nova
                            ok been searching...

sorted the power feeds as above

now power supply

220w should cover everything?

MPEGBOX DSATX 220W DC-DC ATX Automotive
                            I use a DSATX in my setup and I absolutely love it. It was designed by a regular on these forums, zootjeff. He is also very good with supporting the DSATX, either by PM or in open forums. (More kudos for zootjeff!)

However, it is also the most expensive DC-DC power supply option on the market. If you go with a lower power system like the low-power EPIA boards (like the M10000), it is overkill for that system. Granted, you're set for power should you decide to upgrade.
                            I'm not saying it's a bad choice. I'm just saying that it's not hte right choice for every setup and/or budget.

I suggest coming up with a plan before you open your wallet. In the FAQ Emporium, there are links to power calculators that will help you to put plan a system that will meet the power restraints of whatever DC-DC power supply you choose, as well as information about the DC-DC offerings and their capabilities.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by P*ssed off B/F
                              yes Red i was.

and i can't help but be amazed how different this this thread looks to yesterday.

By posts 10 and 11 we now have some good answers. amazing.
                              it's amazing whta happens when you take the initiative and do a bit of research isn't it!? hehe

Genesis - I was assuming he was already wanting to use a laptop since he mentionedit in his OP...

regarding the PSU, STE have you done any research to see how much power you actually need? You can go here for help on how to determine that - thanks to Darque btw: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X