Panasonic Toughbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic Toughbook

Im installing a carpc in my car and I was considering this laptop. My question is, is it necessary or would I be better off with a less expensive, normal laptop? The toughbooks is supposted to be more durable, but Im not convinced. Opinions?

Thanks

If you keep your car out of rivers, tornados, large mud pits... I think you will do just fine with a normal laptop. Many of us use standarded laptop drives and even desktop drives with no problems with shock.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

I applaud you for thinking about the future, however, I think that the Toughbook would be a little overkill.

Many of us are using desktops or their equivilants without any issues.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

So if I bought a ThinkPad or something similar, the hard-drive wont quit on me due to all the shaking?

Comment

I've had a standard desktop HD (an old 20Gb) under my passenger seat for the last year and some odd months, no problems.

I also have a 2.5" Notebook HD (40 Gb) in my glovebox in a firewire enclosure for the last 10 months, no problems there either.

So you should be good!

Comment

I've been running my current 200 GB seagate for about a year and a half

for the year prior to this one I ran a 160 GB desktop drive too, no issues there either.

I'm still on my first install of XP on this 200GB disk as well, no issues, no need to reinstall.

if you would do a bit of searching you would see that this topic has been covered literally hundreds of times (or so it feels)

Also, are you able to get the laptops cheap or something? Most people don't go out and specifically buy a new laptop for something like this.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
            X