Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out, need ideas and help

Alright, here we go:

My friend and i both plan on installing PCs into our cars this summer, and i am coming here for some advice. I would not like to spend more than $600 on this whole system, but would still like a 700-1000Mhz machine.

First of all, there is the monitor. My friend found this monitor (and has already ordered it) and i was looking at this and this monitor....please look at them and tell me which one is better.

In the computer department, my friend was lucky enough to have a machine already lying around that he could use, but i have to buy one. Like i said, i would like it to be in the 700Mhz-1Ghz range and have at least 512 RAM. THe hard drives (IDE) i can supply, and i was wondering where i could find some micro ITX cases and motherboards.

Also, there is the matter of the OS...i was thinkking some type of linux. It would need to support GPS, MP3, DVD, WiFI, and all of that good stuff. What are the best linux programs and front ends for all of these features?

Sorry if this post is sort of lacking coherency, but i'm very tired and sick right now, so i apologize. Just look over what i have written here, and hopeflly give some usefull input on where i should go with this project.

New to carPCs?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Wow this is liek the 3 one in 2 days....

please i think every question you have has been answered already.
      Brown 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Sidewalksalvage
        Wow this is liek the 3 one in 2 days....
        It's from that FHM article, I tell ya...
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I would steer away from using anything from Pyle, they have shown very low quality in the products that I and others I have talked have come across. But I don't have that monitor and I couldn't tell you what it is like. Only I would stay away from it. Your best bet is to look around to see what otehrs are using and try to look into their setups. I personally didn't go with Lilliput although it seems like that is what most people use, I went with the SUPER TM-868 and it has worked out very well for me. I snagged it at $180 shipped. Just my $0.02.
          Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

I had a super monitor until the thing kicked the bucket and actually burnt (its smelled like bbq plastic in my car for weeks...) (best part is the fuse didnt blow)....

But others have had success with them

The company Pyle is owned by sound around INC which also owns pyramid audio and audio legacy. I bought a bunch of stuff from them audio wise (my amps are pyramid and my speakers are legacy) the stuff is crap but gets the job done. I DONT suggest speakers for sure (2 of the four tweeters blew and the cone of one crapped out....) the amps work well...they are FAR from audision or JBL etc but are a good low cost alternative....

as for a pyle screen...well i cant say for sure i know for some they are great...but if they are made with the same quality of the speakers STAY AWAY
            Brown 2010

Comment

I want to put a PC in my car, I have all of these questions, I'm going to lay them all out here for you and expect you to answer them for me.

I will not do my own research, rather I would like you to just tell me what I need to do.

I will not read past the beginning to see that there are specific forums for all of this, rather I'll just post it all in one post.

I will get offended when people tell me to search, for I am too good for that.

I will get mad when people treat me like the worn down dog poo that's crusted up and started to flake off of the bottom of their shoe, because I feel that I should be spoon fed from a platter.

I will come in here thinking that I'm the first person with this idea and that there really aren't many people out there with CarPCs.

*sigh*

welcome to the board! Enjoy your stay.

Up above you will find the FAQ Emporium, to your left and to your right you will find various other forums that have been segregated for specific questions, search through them and make sure you know how to use them, fo rin case of emergency you will need to know how to operate them. Below you will find your balls shrinking when you realize just how much information there is on this board. To your back side you will find that your *** will start to get rather large and flat from all of the time you will spend on it from reading and becoming engrossed in what there is here.

Enjoy your stay, thanks for flying MP3car.com!

btw: Pyle = Pyle o crap
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Go to the "For Sale" section in the forums. there are some excellent deals there.
                2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                Sound Stage
                Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

yeah...thanks for some of the advice. I guess i wont go with the "Pyle O' Crap", i'll most likely end up getting a lilliput or something like that. My top two are both from ebay, and i will most likely purchase from there unless i can find a better deal ("for sale" forum?).

Just for good measure, could you kind people have a look at Monitor Numero Uno and Monitor Numero Dos, just to make sure that i am on the right track. I would like to mount them either on top pf my dash, or on some type of arm that would go between my seats (i drive a 1997 Buick Park Avenue). I almost like the looks of the second monitor better, but i am a little worried that with that crazy little dongle on it, i would not be able to simply have a VGA "in" as well as the features that the dongle offers. Let me know what you think of there, and if there is a great monitor that you think i should know about around the $200 price range, let me know.

Sory if i offended some of you by asking alot of questions at once, i was being sort of lazy there, but i'm VERY limited on time....i love joining new forums, due much in ppart to the "baptism by fire" that most new members always seem subject to.

Comment

For Sale Forum

MP3Car.com store

Find the product on the store, look for it in the for sale forum or ebay.

If it's in the store, it's the right product.

Simple rule of thumb that should help.
                    Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

i've browsed through the stores items, all seem tobe quite pricy.

I was more or less asking what two of the monitors above you guys think would work out the best.

Comment

ok - and like I said

Find the product on the store, look for it in the for sale forum or ebay.
                        use the store as a guide to which products you should look into.

as for which one works best, be careful, you'll get yourself flamed there too.

no one can tell you which one is best.

search the screen forum and the worklogs forum and see what people say about each and what people are using.

we can't help you if you can't help yourself.

Essentially what you are asking us to do is to tell you which parts to buy so you don't have to do any research.

and I'm sorry - but for $60 I'd MUCH rather purchase from a known good source rather than some fly by night retailer on fleabay
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

and I'm sorry - but for $60 I'd MUCH rather purchase from a known good source rather than some fly by night retailer on fleabay
                          And that is EXCELLENT advice

I thought when i bought my Pyle of Crap Super screen that i was getting a hot deal...but it died very early in ist life....and so my excellent deal on ebay in reallity blew monkey nuts.
                          Brown 2010

Comment

Go to the "For Sale" forum you may find what you need there

Comment

Working...
                            X