2 Cigarette Lighters clearly labled for 12V 120Watts combined

HP Pavillion ze5345us Laptop with USB GPS dongle
    connected to one Lighter using Cig Lighter Adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6862481257
    Note: standard AC wall adapter for this laptop is only 90watts max

8" LCD VGA touchscreen
    connected to second Lighter with included Cig Ligher Adapter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9742082504

I'm assuming that since laptop's LCD will always be off, it would be less power needed for it.

So around 10 to 12 watts for LCD and less than 90 watts for Laptop.

Will this work? Am I totally clueless?

Sure.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

lol

aww hell, why not?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Are you sure you want to power both off cig lighters? I can see doing that with the laptop if neccesary since you will likely be using it in and out of the car. As for the screen though, you might want to find a more permanent power source (i.e. the ignition line) so that your install is a little cleaner and you leave one of your cig lighters for other things like cell phone chargers.
        Spent so far: $1,755
        Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
        CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
        Don't mess with Texas.
        It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

The cellphone recharges with the USB data cable.

Comment

how long does that take compared to the regular charger though?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The laptop cig power adapter works great. GPS works great. But now i'm not sure how to remotely turn on the laptop that's going under the passenger car seat without reaching under there, flipping open the lcd and pushing the power button.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comment

Why not?
                ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                  Sure.
                  I'll expand on Darque's, um, limited, response. ;-)

It will likely work. However, if the devices draw too much current, then a fuse will likely blow somewhere in the car, and everything will stop working until that fuse is replaced.

If I were you, I'd try it. If a fuse blows, you have three options...decrease the number of devices you're trying to power, wire the devices more permanently with larger wire, or buy an aftermarket cigarette lighter receptacle and run a larger wire from your battery to it.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Jay, have you installed the 8" LCD screen yet?
                    eBay / Heatware

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ
                      The laptop cig power adapter works great. GPS works great. But now i'm not sure how to remotely turn on the laptop that's going under the passenger car seat without reaching under there, flipping open the lcd and pushing the power button.

Any ideas or suggestions?
                      I just said it would work... Not that you wouldn't encounter some problems.

You've stumbled upon one of the biggest downsides to a laptop installation: starting it up with the ignition....
                      Someoen made a startup unit for laptops. Others have a circuit with two relays.
                      Others use a startup controller and hack into the power button (which renders teh laptop useless anywhere but the car)
                      Others use WOR or WOL circuits to startup the laptop.

There are options, but none are particularly easy.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Okay got my 7" LCD touchscreen working with another modded 99 cent cigarette liter adapter. All i did was replace the cheap fuse with another cheap fuse. Removed the small circuit board from the cigarette liter. And twisted the red wire with red wire, black wire with black wire. WALAH! Cheap but effective car adapter for my 12V touchscreen.

Now to look at all my options in building a cheap but powerful "enough" carputer to replace my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ View Post
                          Okay got my 7" LCD touchscreen working with another modded 99 cent cigarette liter adapter. All i did was replace the cheap fuse with another cheap fuse. Removed the small circuit board from the cigarette liter. And twisted the red wire with red wire, black wire with black wire. WALAH! Cheap but effective car adapter for my 12V touchscreen.

Now to look at all my options in building a cheap but powerful "enough" carputer to replace my laptop.
                          You should check out the specs on your touchscreen. Your car's electrical system will produce between 13 and 15V while running, and 11 -12V with the key off. So, the touchscreen needs to be capable of running on an input from 11-15V or so. If it's not, and you've wired it directly to the car's electrical system, you're running the risk of a voltage surge/drop (which can occur when you start/stop the car, etc.) ruining your screen. The worst thing is, such a voltage surge could really happen at any time, and with little to no warning...and your screen would be toast.

If I were you, I'd protect the investment I made the screen by going to WalMart and buying the $14 (yes, just $14) 12V, 2A (2000mA) car power adapter they have for sale. This will provide your screen with regulated 12V power, and is really cheap insurance that will help protect your investment.

I'll post a link if you need one.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

I think i'll take your advise, and get it. thx

Comment

Working...
                            X