Can't decide what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide what to do

Building a Carpc with lilliput lcd will cost me the same as a pioneer avic d1 from ebay. For those that use iguidance, is it superior to that of the pioneer? I've never seen the iguidance in person so I'm not sure how it compares.
    Cars:
    2001 Lexus es300 carpc Complete!Lexus es300 thread Retired
    Current: 2008 BMW 335i - carpc in development.

The iGuidance website has screenshots, as does the forum here.
    Doa little bit of sleuthing and you'll see how it looks.

Bear in mind that there are also mods that can be done to alter the appearance of iGuidance, as well.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

"Building a Carpc with lilliput lcd will cost me the same as a pioneer avic d1 from ebay....."

this is far from true.... the intial cash outlay may be similar, but past that, the carpc will cost you a ton more time in installation & a ton more time in researching, problem solving, configuring, altering & tweeking, fabricating...

the avic can go in the dash in one afternoon & never give any issues or concerns past that..... a car pc will cost a bit more

of course you get what you pay for, & if you do pay the price, & finish a carpc... you will have so much more than the avic could ever hope to be..
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
        M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
        7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
        Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
        Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

To Darque, I actually did. For the past couple months I've done countless hours of researching and functionality is what I'm not sure of right now. Honestly they both "look" similar map wise. The D1 doesn't have the details of the new Z1, so screen shot wise it is hard for me to compare online.

One of the things that really got me started on this was that with the Avic series you can always hook up a computer via inputs on the unit. So in time you could essentially have a car pc (with out the touch screen capabilities for a front end) and still have the convenience of the prebuilt unit.

Turbo, very insightful info. Either way I have to construct a bezel which I'm currently crafting out of a very expensive piece of solid walnut since the es300's have walnut trim (which btw is a cheap vaneer with plastic backing).

For those that know what the Lexus es300 dash looks like. I'm contemplating redoing it with motorized sc400 vents and a flip out monitor. I'm going to start dremeling today so I'll post pics (which will be awhile) of the final results with either the avic or a lilliput and the flip out screen.
          Cars:
          2001 Lexus es300 carpc Complete!Lexus es300 thread Retired
          Current: 2008 BMW 335i - carpc in development.

Comment

the Avic series you can always hook up a computer via inputs on the unit.
            what kind of inputs? I hope they are VGA inputs.

how exactly would you connect it to a PC?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

another thing, I'm guessing you may have a clue to this if you searched a bit, the avic will be able to display your pc, but it will do so through scaling the image... bottom line is it won't be a good image at all.... video & pictures may look fine, but text will be blurry & less than great.... I would try to see if you can see an image of a pc displayed on a regular composite screen before you make yopur final decission

Comment

ah, red beat me to it.... there are no real vga inputs on the avic

Comment

turbo - so it is just a composite video in on the Avic, right? not VGA quality?
                  Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

ha, now I beat you

Comment

and you beat me to my post above...haha

I smell a link!

Read this OP

and if you're considering a PC, sounds like you could benefit from this thread a bit: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

nice

Comment

tag - you're it....lol.

btw spiike - a carPC can do way more than you could ever imagine doing with that Avic unit. WAYYYY more.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                          X