first carputer..making hardware list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first carputer..making hardware list

hello all. i've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and a lot of research on hardware for my first carputer build. i've made a list of everything i think i'll need to buy, and was wondering if i could get some input on this list, ie. is everything compatible, and is it good enough. i'll be using it for dvd, videos, mp3s, GPS, and possibly Wireless LAN to connect to my home network.

heres the list-

-VIA EPIA V8000A C3 Ezra 800 mhz CPU mini ITX mobo combo

-M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU

-CarPC EZ v.2.5d startup/shutdown controller (possibly...the PSU above has an onboard controller but i like the "stay on" feature on this and haven't found out if the PSU has that option.)

-slot load slim dvd drive (any suggestions?)

-7" lilliput VGA touchscreen (any suggestions?)

-Dream gear mini USB keyboard

-touch pad mouse

-3.5" 40 gig HD (already have)

-gps sensor (again, any suggestions?)

-d link PCI wireless LAN (if i decide to go wireless)

i've chosen dc-dc PSU because of it's startup/shutdown advantages, and this pc isn't extremely powerful. i'll be running windows XP pro and all audio will go through my current pioneer head unit via rca input. i'll be making a custom case, as the comp will be installed inside the center console of my car between the seats. my PC knowledge is minor compared to most people on this forum, but pretty good for an average user. i've replaced hardware, ect. this is my first complete build, and any input is greatly appreciated.

thank you!!!
    VIA Epia M10k, M2 ATX PSU, Pioneer DVD slot load slim Writer, Lilliput 619, WD 3.5" 80Gb HDD, BU-353 w/iGuidance v.3

Dash Fabrication 100%
    Computer Setup 100%

7" lilliput VGA touchscreen (any suggestions?)

ANYTHING BUT A LILLIPUT, Xenarch is SOOO much better

Comment

MP3Car has a great little USB antenna for GPS for 75 to 80 bucks. It has software to direct the comm port to look at USB for the input. The M2-ATX is more powerful than most need and the startup/shutdown controller works very well for me. The actual wiring on it could be a challenge, and the Amp power on remote has no documentation for that PSU that I have found. I could write a long time on tips but you'll get the full deal from the PDF I wrote at the following link with 150 photos of my first project. If you are new, and I was, this will help.

http://www.trsek.org/Rob/Computers/C...ica_Car_PC.pdf
      150 Pictures in my guide: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78463
      M10k, M2-ATX, 512Mb, Lilliput 7", Samsung 120Gb, Ampie Case

Comment

Originally posted by GPTech
        ANYTHING BUT A LILLIPUT, Xenarch is SOOO much better
        while I agree, I don't think that this is at all useful to this guy.

Try giving him more useful information...

Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

thanks for the info everyone...xenarch is a little above my $$ limit for right now...i'm a little hesitant to do this just because i don't even know if i can do it and hope i get it right...there'll have to be a lot of custom fab work to my dash because it's going in a taurus which isn't really an easy job. the fab work doesn't make me nervous though it's actually getting the comp to work. so i should go with a less powerful PSU?
          VIA Epia M10k, M2 ATX PSU, Pioneer DVD slot load slim Writer, Lilliput 619, WD 3.5" 80Gb HDD, BU-353 w/iGuidance v.3

Dash Fabrication 100%
          Computer Setup 100%

Comment

why not go to the epia mII12000 for a board. itll make a big difference on load times or choppyness. also, it has the pcmcia riser on board. so if you decide the audio on board isnt good enough you can slap a notebook audigy in it.

Dont forget ram youll want a minimum of 512. a gig would be good.

your m2 atx has a built in shutdown startup controller, so you wont need another one. there are jumper settings on it to determin how long to wait and how long till it hibernates the pc/shutdown and also how long till it hard offs.

Also someone mentiond that theres a lead for a remote turn on for you amp on that PS. about 10 seconds after my car starts, my amp turns on. no loud pops when your starting your car..

i wouldnt go with a less powerfull PSU. you get so much more with the one your getting and further down the line if you add anything you dont have to wonder if you have the power. I have my whole setup, along with the 12v for the lcd and the 5 v for my usb hub all coming off of it.

You also have to think about am/fm radio if your getting rid of your head unit. some people go with xm or sirrius. For AM/FM radio, the HQCT just came out. as far as tuners for a computer goes, its pretty good.

as for worrying about the pc working or not. as long as you know how to put a pc together which it looks like you do somewhat, thats a peice of cake. build the pc on the workbench. using a home ps or you can jump and get 12v from a home ps to make the dc-dc work. theres tutorials and FAQ all over the place. The fabrication and making everything pretty is always the longest/hardest. so if you think that part of its easy you got it made.

One last thing you should look into. You need to amplify the signal comingfrom the pc to the speakers. so youll need an amp.
            MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
            M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
            7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
            Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
            Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by yrean
              Dont forget ram youll want a minimum of 512. a gig would be good.
              this is to be debated.

I believe that a gig of ram isn't necessary with the things that we do in the car.

512 is a good point. The more RAM the longer your boot/hibernate/stand by times. The less ram the worse the performance.

As for it being in a Taurus so that makes it more difficult?

I'm not sure I understand it. Doesn't make much sense to me.

A Taurus is one of the most basic cars out there!?
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

512 is about right for most aplications, but if hes going with a slower pc, hes going to need to keep more in a buffered memory. hence the 1 gig. even if its a little slower i was shooting for no choppyness and good performance.

My Worklog

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. i'm keeping my current pioneer head unit, which has aux in....i was planning on sending the audio signal from the comp to the hesd unit and keeping the speakers hooked up to that...which would mean i don't need an amp since they'd be getting power from the head unit right?

yes, i'll look into that other mo bo, i didn't have my heart set on that one or anything i just saw that it was cheap. i have a spare emachines (i know...) desktop that i originally was looking to integrate into this project somehow but it looks like i'll only be using the HD.

as for memory, i was planning on 512 mb most likely.

the reason it'll be kinda hard in the taurus is that i'll have to move my current cd player down about a foot, replacing the ash tray which is a tight fit. then i'll have to relocate the climate controls, which will include lengthening some vacuum tubes a bit, not too long though so i'm confident it'll work fine, i just have to figure out the final place to put them. and then of course theres the touch screen mounting, which i'm pretty sure will be the easiest fabrication part i'll have to do. basically, the most creative part will have to be moving the climate controls. i took some measurements this morning and it looks like it'll all fit if i do a good job. one good thing is that inside my center console theres tons of room...not enough to fit a standart car pc case in but i tihnk i can easily mount everything in there neat and clean.

i really can't wait to get started on this project, i just have to finalize this list so i have stuff to work with.

thanks again for all the help everyone

heres an updated list:

-epia m10000 or mII12000 (does the 12000 come with a processor?)
                  -512 ram
                  -7" lilliput 619
                  -m2 ATX 160w PS
                  -slot load dvd drive
                  -40 gb 3.5" HD
                  -BU-303 USB GPS Receiver

think thats it. gotta do a little more saving though haha...but hey thats how anything cool goes.

Dash Fabrication 100%
                  Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Originally posted by mjs3350
                    -512 ram
                    -7" lilliput 619
                    -m2 ATX 160w PS
                    -slot load dvd drive
                    -40 gb 3.5" HD
                    -BU-303 USB GPS Receiver

think thats it. gotta do a little more saving though haha...but hey thats how anything cool goes.
                    If you can afford it, go for a SiRFIII GPS. The BR-355 (serial) and BU-353(usb) are SiRFIII. The BU-303 is based on the older and less sensitive SiRFII technology.

The Holux 213 is also SiRFIII and should be a bit cheaper than the GlobalSats.

Comment

Yes. I hear the MII's are better but also pricier. It seems that the most common board is the M10000. I have that myself, and it can do video, songs, GPS, everything just fine. Boots from cold boot really fast (not even optimized).
                      -512 ram
                      I have 1Gb myself just because I don't hibernate (I use standby) so the issue of a longer time didn't bother me. Performance was key, and this was the first computer I have built that is sooooo low in specs, I wanted to make sure it would work.
                      -7" lilliput 619
                      Many people use Lilliputs. Xenarcs are pricey. On eBay you can find Hong Kong rip-offs. I have an Ex-Audio. Gave me a hell of a lot of problems and burnt out the 800x600 resolution somehow, but it still takes the other resolutions and works just fine. The reason I got it was because the buttons were on the side instead of the bottom, so I could actually leave all the buttons intact. I'm not sure I would reccommend it to someone with enough money for a Xenarc, but I think it uses the same LCD panel as a Xenarc. I can actually read it in very bright sunlight just fine, however direct sunlight, nothing. If you hover your hand over it though, you'll see the picture.
                      -m2 ATX 160w PS
                      I have one, and love it. Does what it is supposed to do and is very resiliant. As others have said, it does have a built in startup/shutdown controller, so it's an all in 1 package with enough juice to power the epia boards and the screen!
                      -slot load dvd drive
                      You know I bought 1 (Well actually 2 -- broke the first one installing it! damn...) and I didn't even bother installing it. After I got my CarPC in, I was working on a spare lower dash piece where the drive would go. I never even bothered to finish it because I realize I don't need it. All my music is on my huge hard drive, as well as all my videos. If I need to burn a disk for someone, I'll just bring it along, and plug it into the USB ports, but that is rare. I thought it would be a neccessity, but I haven't even thought to use it even once! Just something to think about. If you won't use it very often, why waste $80 for the drive and another $20 for the enclosure when you could use that to upgrade the mobo to the MII12000 instead of the M10k.
                      -40 gb 3.5" HD
                      Some poeple suggest not using a 3.5" drive because of all the vibration. I drive on all paved roads, and my car doesn't have a sporty suspension where you and the cabin feel every grain of sand on the road. My HD works just fine... Also vertical/horiszontal mounting is another debate, which I still think is unanswered...
                      -BU-303 USB GPS Receiver
                      Definately spend the money saved from the DVD and get the SIRFIII. That's 2 votes.
                      Well I suggest saving about $200 more than what you think it will cost. YOu will probably break/blow up something or at least buy 1ft too little of power wire, or find out that your Walmart battery just isn't going to cut it, or something. I ended up spending quite a bit more than antisipated because of a few reasons. Broke my first DVD drive installing it, decided to upgrade RAM so bought a 512 stick and a gig, wanted good wire for power and ground but cost me $60 alone for the 19' of good 4awg wire! A couple extra fuses. Got a YellowTop battery and a new alternator. My god. Now that I look back, that was an expenisve month and a half of installing.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by yrean
                        512 is about right for most aplications, but if hes going with a slower pc, hes going to need to keep more in a buffered memory. hence the 1 gig. even if its a little slower i was shooting for no choppyness and good performance.
                        I'm running 512 on a MII12000 no problems.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                          You know I bought 1 (Well actually 2 -- broke the first one installing it! damn...) and I didn't even bother installing it. After I got my CarPC in, I was working on a spare lower dash piece where the drive would go. I never even bothered to finish it because I realize I don't need it. All my music is on my huge hard drive, as well as all my videos. If I need to burn a disk for someone, I'll just bring it along, and plug it into the USB ports, but that is rare. I thought it would be a neccessity, but I haven't even thought to use it even once! Just something to think about. If you won't use it very often, why waste $80 for the drive and another $20 for the enclosure when you could use that to upgrade the mobo to the MII12000 instead of the M10k.
                          because not everyone uses a PC the same way you do.

I can't live without one. Never mind the fact that I MUST have a CD player for competitions, many times I want to listen to the EXACT recording and not a MP3 rip (yes, there ARE differences).

There have been times that I'm at shows, meet up with someone who has a CD, now I can rip it while there. I can burn CDs of pics on the spot while at shows. Etc.

Some poeple suggest not using a 3.5" drive because of all the vibration. I drive on all paved roads, and my car doesn't have a sporty suspension where you and the cabin feel every grain of sand on the road. My HD works just fine... Also vertical/horiszontal mounting is another debate, which I still think is unanswered...
                          I'm using a full size drive and always have (3 years or so) and have yet to have an issue. I have a stage 2 coil over set-up and have lowered my vehicle.

Regarding the GPS....I bought the BU-353 for a total of about $70 shipped off of amazon....how much cheaper is the Holux?
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                            I'm running 512 on a MII12000 no problems.
                            exactly. so am I.

the spec he said he was going ot use was the v8000A. which is only an 800 mhz via chip and in reality since its via its actually less. the less processor the slower it runs but the more you want to keep in memory to speed things up. less often to load things into memory giving the processor a break to process.

My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                              Regarding the GPS....I bought the BU-353 for a total of about $70 shipped off of amazon....how much cheaper is the Holux?
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...1&postcount=34
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...0&postcount=41

Comment

Working...
                              X