No announcement yet.

Got car, now need carputer. Any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got car, now need carputer. Any ideas?

Hey guys, I'm very new to the carputer scene. I am very good with computers but I'm a total newb when it comes to cars. I'm planning to get a carputer but I need some ideas.

Here's what I'm going to get so far:
    M2-ATX PSU
    VoomPC Case
    VIA SP130000 mobo
    Seagate Momentus 7200 ST910021A
    1gig Kingston RAM

As for LCD, I need some advice. What would be a good motorized and non-motorized touchscreen LCD? And is there still anything I need to get?

I know you did post in the newbie section, and it seems like you have an idea of what you want, but before jumping in head first I'd suggest some reading, browse the forums a while, see what others are doing, see what your needs are, and what you can afford.. this is NOT a weekend slap together run a few wires project.. with good planning and bench testing I think one can install a carpc in one day, but there are always "gotchas" to be found... Start off by reading everything in this thread http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795 Then start looking for what you want.. nobody can tell you what you need, everybodys needs are different..
    Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy
    http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75182

Comment

Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz View Post
        Hey guys, I'm very new to the carputer scene. I am very good with computers but I'm a total newb when it comes to cars. I'm planning to get a carputer but I need some ideas.

Here's what I'm going to get so far:
        M2-ATX PSU
        VoomPC Case
        VIA SP130000 mobo
        Seagate Momentus 7200 ST910021A
        1gig Kingston RAM

As for LCD, I need some advice. What would be a good motorized and non-motorized touchscreen LCD? And is there still anything I need to get?

Everyone is right. Only know what you truly want. It depends on WHAT you want. There are a few issues to consider:

First of all, budget. How much money are you willing to spend. A carputer certainly isn't cheap (not if you want a quality product), but it doesn't have to be overly expensive, either. The price widely varies, depending on what you want your carputer to do, and how much of it you're willing to do yourself. Which leads me to:

Installation. As I previously mentioned, logic dictates that the more you do yourself (installation), the cheaper the (labor) will be. Of course, you must weigh this against how nice you want it to look. That's not to say you can't install EVERYTHING yourself, I don't know what you're capable of, so I can't say for sure. Only you know what your limits are. This leads to:

Factory (OEM) look. Very few cars come with "carputers" built in. Some of the higher end car manufacturers (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc) are starting to catch on and put proprietary computers in the cars. I think the BMW has a computer which lets you control the climate digitally (with the touch screen). Keeping this in mind, an LCD screen in your dash will look unusual, but that doesn't mean it can't look stock. A lot of people here are willing to take the time to completely redo their dashes to fit the carputer in for a stock look. This will obviously take some time. Or if you can't do that level of detail yourself, it will also take extra money to take the car to a car audio shop and let them do it for you. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend vs what you are willing to do, not to mention how much time you're willing to take.

As others have recommended, read the noob section of this forum. A good place to start is The Faq Emporium, where it contains a wealth of information on many particular issues. Another good place to look when you're just getting started is here:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...-faq-faqs.html

Your carputer is only limited by your imagination. I know that's cliched, but it's true. Basically, a carputer is most commonly used for the following applications:

MP3 playback
        GPS navigation (display)
        Cell phone integration (send and recieve calls with your cell from your carputer)
        DVD playback (hopefully for rear passengers or the driver when stopped)
        Rear view camera monitor

These are the most common applications, but there are seemingly endless things you can do with a carputer. With my own setup, I want to do all the things listed, plus HVAC control.
        Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
        - Edit skin to liking.
        - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
        - Facilitate HVAC control.

Comment

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            Ah geez, I don't know HOW that one slipped past me. I could have sworn it showed in bold as a recent post...
            Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
            - Edit skin to liking.
            - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
            - Facilitate HVAC control.

Comment

Working...
            X