newbie, to be or not to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie, to be or not to be?

I am just about to buy a Pioneer AVIC Z1 and I think what about carputers?
    I looked into this years ago and thought it was too early to get into. Now it looks interesting. I am very knowledgeable on building and setting up computers. I just have a few concerns.

1) if a newbie too carputers is very good at regular computers will it be an easy to understand switch? as far as set up and ease of use.
    2) GPS. is it better GPS on a carputer or a unit like a Z1 by pioneer?
    3) voice recognition. again what is better?
    3) Price. Again, will I save money one way or the other?

Thanks for your time and opinion. I guess I just donít want to jump in blind and make more hassle for myself than necessary.

I think that the Z1 will save you in the price area. It already has many of the features that you need. Its a computer in and of itself, runs a specialized version of windows for mobile computing. I think that if you car can accomodate such a unit, it would be in your interest to get it. You have to be into cars and know a little about installing stuff before you do this hobby. Just my two cents.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

The best way for you to gauge whether or not you want to embark on a carputer project, is to do the research here on the forums.. see how much folks have spent.. look through the project threads and see what hurdles people have had to overcome with their installs.

All the information is here.. start by perusing the FAQ Emporium, see the link in my sig.

Being knowledgable with computers means you'll have a firm footing if you decide to go with a carputer, but you'll have a bit to learn as far as the automotive integration goes.

If you want something out-of-the-box and done, then the commercial product you mentioned is for you. If you enjoy tinkering, fine-tuning, and want a limitless, yet never truly complete project, .. well.. welcome to the world of the carpc.. lol
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

The Sub-forum that tj!2k4 mentioned is a great start.

I might also suggest.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=842719
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

thanks guys. I have decided to let the car be what it was meant to be. A car. I will just get the Pioneer. Hopefully it will be less hassel. NOW THE HARD PART> getting the killer deal=)
          thanks 4 your time.

Comment

thanks guys. I have decided to let the car be what it was meant to be. A car. I will just get the Pioneer. Hopefully it will be less hassel. NOW THE HARD PART> getting the killer deal=)
            thanks 4 your time.

Comment

Working...
            X