new dvd burner..windows won't recognize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new dvd burner..windows won't recognize

having trouble getting my dvd writer installed. it's a pioneer k05 slim slot load laptop dvd burner. i manually installed it into my laptop (to test, i don't have the rest of my carputer yet.) windows (xp) won't recognise that there is a disk drive in there at all. the dvd drive didn't come with any drivers or anything, and it is new. it's getting power and accepts and ejects disks fine. i tried uninstalling the old drive from the device manager so windows could recognize new hardware, which it did. however, when it recognized the new hardware, it recognized it as my old disk drive, not the one that was actually in there. if put the old one in, it works fine. any help is greatly appreciated...and yes i've tried searching both this forum and google for a few hours already. sorry if this is a total noob problem but i just want to get this working so i know it works. thanks
    VIA Epia M10k, M2 ATX PSU, Pioneer DVD slot load slim Writer, Lilliput 619, WD 3.5" 80Gb HDD, BU-353 w/iGuidance v.3

Dash Fabrication 100%
    Computer Setup 100%

Did you happen to reboot between switching roms?
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

yes, each step was followed with a reboot
      VIA Epia M10k, M2 ATX PSU, Pioneer DVD slot load slim Writer, Lilliput 619, WD 3.5" 80Gb HDD, BU-353 w/iGuidance v.3

Dash Fabrication 100%
      Computer Setup 100%

Comment

That sucks. Maybe delete the entries out of your registry as well? Out of the controlset 1 and 2 and also the currentcontrolset. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then it's probably not a fix for you to perform.

After you delete the keys that have to do with the cd-rom, reboot.

Does it detect it at all? Or just detected it as the old rom?
        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

when i delete the current one out of the device manager, and boot with the new drive in, it detects new hardware, but says it's the old drive. it just installs the old stuff back where it was like it's the old drive hooked up.

Dash Fabrication 100%
          Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Wow, that is a little strange. Do you have a cd you can try to boot off of to see if your drive works outside of windows?
            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

no, but i should be able to make one using my other cd writer right? not really sure how i do that though, other than changing the boot priority in the bios

Dash Fabrication 100%
              Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Does your lappy have a floppy drive? One that you can use while keeping the rom in as well? If so, just boot to floppy then see if you can dir a cd from the rom.
                Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

no i don't have a floppy...can i use a usb thumb drive?

Dash Fabrication 100%
                  Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Eh, I don't want to even go there man.

How about a cd that came with the laptop, one of those should be bootable...
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

lost the one that came with the laptop...i have a legit copy of windows though

Dash Fabrication 100%
                      Computer Setup 100%

Comment

try booting that windows disc then. If that works, then I guess your having some major windows problems.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

nope doesn't work...i did set the boot priority to cd-rom in bios....i guess the drive just came bad. thanks for all the help tidder

Dash Fabrication 100%
                          Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Dang, that sucks. Hope you can return/exchange it.
                            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

yea i can i have to pay shipping though

Dash Fabrication 100%
                              Computer Setup 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X