Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building an iPod into the steering wheel.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an iPod into the steering wheel.

Hey guys. Complete newbie here- I'm doing some research on building my iPod into my car. The battery died on it recently, so my old solution- Using the audio out on an iPod dock mounted in the ashtray- is no longer useful. Plus, it wasn't the neatest way of doing things, the ipod rattled around a bit.

So I'm thinking of building it into my steering wheel. The 'cover' comes off relatively easily, and there is a bit of space there.

However, I can't quite figure out how I am going to do the actual mounting. The biggest problems I am facing is that the click wheel needs a fairly solid mount to work properly, and I want to move the hard drive off the the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG02702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2298808

Is what I'm talking about feasible? How should I go about it?

Any hints on the connectivity side of things, would be appreciated, as well.

if you have a newer car chances are you have an air bag in your steering wheel.

I wouldn't advice messing with that.

Depending on your vehicle, I would think it would be fairly easy to mount the click wheel in the arm rest or on the door arm rest or the like.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Why not just go with a full blown CarPC. Way better than an Ipod any day of the week.

Comment

No airbags, Red. I know not to mess around with those.

I do like the idea of putting the click wheel in the armrest, though. Pity the screen would be next to unreadble while driving, down there.

And mounting the click wheel elsewhere opens up a whole new can of worms. How do I extend the ribbon cables for either the click wheel, or the screen? How far can I take them?

Comment

Originally posted by blairellis
          Why not just go with a full blown CarPC. Way better than an Ipod any day of the week.
          probably because he's already got the iPod and a carpc would cost a deal of extra money?

as for how far you can take the wires, it all depends on what's running through them, what kind of voltage. Over short distances I wouldn't see a problem with it, but how long you would be able to go is something I would say to just test...

find out how far away you'll have to place the click wheel, get some wire that length, solder it all together and give it a try out side of the car....see if it works!
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Soldering ribbon cables is well beyond my ability. Those contacts are less than a mm apart.

Anyway, it's more an issue of mounting everything into the steering wheel cover. I'll have to pull that out and get some piccies.

I'm trying to KISS.

Comment

ok- well take some pics and let us know!
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Where I want to put it.

OK. Here is where I want to put it:

Name:	wheelcoveron.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2256033

Once I take the cover off, and remove the oversized horn assembly, I am left with plenty of room:

Name:	wheelcoveroff.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2256032

Now, all I have to do is find someplace to put all those bits from my first post, into this.

Name:	coverback.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2256031

The material is rubbery, with lots of give. It has a vinyl like feel to it. I haven't worked with anything like it before.

Maybe if I put the click wheel in from the front, leaving those ribs in place to provide a backing for it? Flush mounting the screen is going to be interesting, as well.

Any fabrication geeks want to help out here?

Comment

Originally posted by Pok
                  Soldering ribbon cables is well beyond my ability. Those contacts are less than a mm apart.

Anyway, it's more an issue of mounting everything into the steering wheel cover. I'll have to pull that out and get some piccies.

I'm trying to KISS.
                  If soldering is beyond your ability, then this whole project is probably beyond your ability.

Why not just leave everything in the IPOD case, and put the whole thing in your steering wheel. Then you wouldn't have to worry about trackwheel mounting surfaces, and locations and extending things.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                    If soldering is beyond your ability, then this whole project is probably beyond your ability.
                    Soldering is not beyond me, but soldering those flexible plastic cables is. The ones they use when a ribbon cable would be too large?

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                    Why not just leave everything in the IPOD case, and put the whole thing in your steering wheel. Then you wouldn't have to worry about trackwheel mounting surfaces, and locations and extending things.
                    Possible... But shoddy looking, and not so fun.

I'm confident I can do this, I'm just looking for any tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Pok
                      I'm confident I can do this, I'm just looking for any tips.
                      "measure twice, cut once"

Comment

so you're going to remove the horn all together for this install?
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Freelander
                          "measure twice, cut once"
                          Damn. You mean I can't do my usual "Never measure, cut once, cut more, slip and cut more than I meant to, give up, drive around with no dashboard/steering wheel/brake pedal for three weeks, install new factory part." ?

As for the horn, Red, No, I won't be without a horn. I'll just mod the assembely sit sit further back. That brass pin in the center of the steering wheel needs to be grounded to sound the horn. The very problem I'm having... working with the rubbery material... will help me there. Any part of the wheel cover can be used to sound the horn.

Comment

i dont know what australia is like, but we dont use horns much here in the states. you guys in the old country get horn happy

Comment

Originally posted by Freelander
                              i dont know what australia is like, but we dont use horns much here in the states. you guys in the old country get horn happy
                              I never use the horn expect for when I get ****ed off at stupid drivers (road rage), or if I'm saying hello/goodbye to someone.

I'm keeping the horn, however. I want to put in three tone one sometime, anyway:

Comment

Working...
                              X