Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to install new computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to install new computer?

    Hey this is just a general question. I was wondering why do some people install computers in the trunk and then route the wires to the front, instead of just putting the computer in the dashboard or underneath the passenger/driver seat.

    Just wondering does different functionality or form factor play into the position of the computer in the car or is it just personal preference?

  • #2
    some people dont like to put it under the seat, others dont have that much room :T

    plus, theres no way ur gonna hear the computer if its in the trunk, lol

    Comment


    • #3
      It's mostly a matter of space and making it look clean.
      Also, if it's in the truck, there's almost no chance of a passenger jacking with the PC.

      There are lots of installs with the PC in a center console or in the dash or in the glovebox, too. It's all a matter of personal preference.
      Ultimately, mine is going to go in a storage space in the back of my truck cab.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dasickis
        Hey this is just a general question. I was wondering why do some people install computers in the trunk and then route the wires to the front, instead of just putting the computer in the dashboard or underneath the passenger/driver seat.

        Just wondering does different functionality or form factor play into the position of the computer in the car or is it just personal preference?
        My car is a convertible. The pc is in the trunk because that's where the most room is, and it is locked away even when the top is down. Also, my car's battery is back there, so I didn't need to run any heavy gauge power wiring. How often do you need to get to the PC anyway?
        ~Jimmy

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks

          Hey thanks a lot, this is like one of those things where you think you've figured out a lot of the technical details except the most basic stuff. But its these basic things that can get you screwed in the long run, so thanks again.

          Also, I was wondering if someone could direct me or tell me what's the temperatures that the car can get in different areas of the car, and what's the maximum temperature the comptuer can handle when its idle and when its in use.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dasickis
            Also, I was wondering if someone could direct me or tell me what's the temperatures that the car can get in different areas of the car, and what's the maximum temperature the comptuer can handle when its idle and when its in use.
            It all depends on the computer, really. My AthlonXP-M setup can run stably at about 150ºf. I don't recommend running it that hot, by any means... I'm just saying it can.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?



            Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dasickis
              Hey thanks a lot, this is like one of those things where you think you've figured out a lot of the technical details except the most basic stuff. But its these basic things that can get you screwed in the long run, so thanks again.

              Also, I was wondering if someone could direct me or tell me what's the temperatures that the car can get in different areas of the car, and what's the maximum temperature the comptuer can handle when its idle and when its in use.
              I'm using the fanless version of the Via SP-8000. My case (Morex 3688B) has a fan but I am running without it plugged in for several months just to see if the system can handle it. It has been over 100 degrees the last few days and I have seen no issues.
              ~Jimmy

              Comment


              • #8
                I just posted this over in another thread, it seems that it would do some good here as well:

                Originally posted by setite
                On another side, not thinking of money, but of performance. Now I live in Las Vegas, so my trunk is going to be hotter than hell and there is not a single feasible way to change that. Now I wonder if I would benefit more from making an enclosed case, buying an enclosed case, or building some open aired case.
                no case?

                I'm not running a case. (click the below pic for a larger pic)



                More pics: http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/display...album=12&pos=3

                It's been 105 or so here in the DF/W area for a week +. Every day when I come out of work, my car temp gauge reads at 111+. I've yet to have a single problem with the computer. It's booted up and been playing music flawlessly for over a year now. It probably gets more air flow like this than most CarPC designed cases.

                Also, as for mounting it under the seat, just take a look at this thread. If it's the only place you have avaliable, that's ok, I guess, but just read this thread. Many times the points brought up in it haven't been fully thought out by most people who mount under the seats:

                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80947
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks

                  Thanks again for all this information and the link to the other thread. It clarified so much stuff for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You're very welcome.
                    It's nice to be appreciated. It happens so rarely on these forums.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?



                    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks also!!

                      I too am trying to make a final decision as to where to locate my pc. I should have adequate space behind the centre consol and possibly in the glove box too. Although, I think that a few wisely placed vent holes in the rear and back of the glove box would be in order even though the glove box is not a completely air tight compartment anyway.
                      It appears that Jan's is in the cavity of one of the body panels. Would that area be safe enough from moisture when the covering panel is placed back on?
                      http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
                      1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
                      491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        it's a 2 door. If the window were to roll down I wouldn't put it in there at all.

                        But since the window doesn't roll down or pop out or anything, it's not an issue at all. dry as a bone in there.
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                        Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here is an advantage to using a case, regardless of where it is placed in the car: I can have my CarPC running on my desk in the house in less than five minutes. That is nice when I need to load software or try new configurations out. Just something to think about. I can have it running in the car again almost that fast too.
                          ~Jimmy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JimmyFitz
                            Here is an advantage to using a case, regardless of where it is placed in the car: I can have my CarPC running on my desk in the house in less than five minutes. That is nice when I need to load software or try new configurations out. Just something to think about. I can have it running in the car again almost that fast too.
                            I hear ya. That's one major advantage to using the case that I'm using now. I'm debating whether to go case-less or not for the final install.
                            I have an idea about a hybrid mounting system that will work just as well for my final install.
                            I'm not at that point yet, though.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?



                            Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sure, but I've actually never needed the computer out of the car. Not in the year I've had this particular PC in the car.
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                              Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X