Starting my first carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my first carputer

Wanna get some thoughts before I start to do anything really. I have a P4 3.2 800FSB ,Intel MB, 500watt PS (ATX; desktop) Pc I want to use for my carputer. I have only a few questions:

1) Since the PS is rated so high, will this be cost effective to get an inverter
    2) Do I need a shutdown controller if I am planning on using hibernation
    3) GPS; purchase software and reciever and thats it?

Much Thanks

1 - The PC is way overkill for in the car. An inverter is the only way you're going to be able to power it. Be wary of heat issues with that setup, as well.

2 - The shutdown controller has nothing to do with hibernation. That's a setting within the OS to tell the motherboard what to do on a power button press. The shutdown controller only simulates the power button press on the turn of the ignition key.

3 - Yes.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      1 - The PC is way overkill for in the car. An inverter is the only way you're going to be able to power it. Be wary of heat issues with that setup, as well.

2 - The shutdown controller has nothing to do with hibernation. That's a setting within the OS to tell the motherboard what to do on a power button press. The shutdown controller only simulates the power button press on the turn of the ignition key.

3 - Yes.

1) I kinda figured that is was over kill; but I have alot of spare PC parts so might as well use them -vs- buying a ITX system. I was going to mount devices onto plexiglass in my spare tire area (via shock mounts) and run 4-6 PC case fan to area. Or just do a semi-open mount area in my hatch area or on the back of my seat.

2) So a shutdown controller is "needed"?

Much thanks

Comment

No, a shutdown controller isn't needed. You can always power the PC through the use of a power switch. The purpose of the shutdown controller is to startup the PC when you turn the ignition key (and turn it off when you turn off the ignition, as well).
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

In that case, I think a shutdown controller is needed. I was thinking of going with this for the inverter: . Any possible down falls to this theory?

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
            X