Progressing shopping list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressing shopping list

This is my second post since.....mid Feburary.
    I'm still getting all the bits'n'pices for my very first car PC. My main use is for Bluetooth phone intergration, GPS, and maybe watch a movie or two (when during quickstop or exhibition purposes)

WHAT I HAVE NOW:

MoBo: Via Epia SP13000 MINI-ITX
    Bluetooth: Kensington USB adaptor 2.0
    Optical drive: Pioneer Slot-load USB powered 8x DVDRW
    hd: Toshiba 60GB 2.5"
    PC Card(s):USB2.0/Firewire combo
    Monitor: a non-brand/HongKongRipoff motorized indash touchscreen monitor w/ TV tuner (it could be an 'Audio Image' brand)
    GPS: Garmin GPS 18 USB w/ nRoute software
    Cables: a few s*^tload of 10footers

WHAT I WILL BE BUYING NEXT:

512mb of memory
    raiser card
    notebook to IDE HDD adaptor
    cooling fans

WHAT I'M STILL CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT TO BUY:

Case: I may stick with my empty Sony car CD changer for now...maybe...
    Power Supply: M2-ATX would be my natural choice, but the Carnetix P1900 is very tempting. It has a secondary output feature so that i could use to power up my touchscreen
    Regulator?: CNX-P5V - I really want to use this for my monitor and my powered USB2.0 hub...if I ended up with the M2-ATX or the CNX1290

90% of my work, so far, was done by calculating Maximum dissipation of the CPU (no, the 1.3 GHz VIA C3™ processor is STILL not listed on Chris Hare's page or Via's page either - so I STILL have to do some guesswork) and how much power requirements it would need for other stuff that is listed. I can't afford to choose any ol' PSU.

Let me know how I'm progressing so far. If there is someting missing...or I made a mistake somewhere, do

tell.

Your help/input is appriciated.

Originally posted by Leo71
    Power Supply: M2-ATX would be my natural choice, but the Carnetix P1900 is very tempting. It has a secondary output feature so that i could use to power up my touchscreen
    Regulator?: CNX-P5V - I really want to use this for my monitor and my powered USB2.0 hub...if I ended up with the M2-ATX or the CNX1290
    You don't need all that. The M2ATX should be able to handle all the power for all the hardware you're looking at with no problems.
    There's no point in getting either Carnetix unit, unless you start overloading the 5v rail, in which case you might need the POL unit.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      You don't need all that. The M2ATX should be able to handle all the power for all the hardware you're looking at with no problems.
      REALLY?!?

..so it would be possible to power a monitor and a USB hub by using the same wires that is used to power up internal hard drives and CD drives etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo71
        ..so it would be possible to power a monitor and a USB hub by using the same wires that is used to power up internal hard drives and CD drives etc.?

yes, most people have set ups like that

Comment

im doing just that exact thing. on a molex conector coming from the ps, you have 4 wires. (yellow black black red). (12v grnd grnd 5v) I used one molex connector to power both my lcd and my hub. on the m2atx, you might need to buy a molex spliter to give you the extra plugs you might need( I had too but i also needed a plug for the HQCT), but theres plenty of power to do everything you want.
          MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
          M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
          7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
          Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
          Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

I power a 14" LCD plus the rest of my system from a DC-DC PS smaller than the M2ATX. Granted the rest is fairly low power.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

PC Card(s):USB2.0/Firewire combo
              I don't think you need that unless there isn't enought USB port in the mobo. Firewire? Are you going to do some movie editing/transfering?
              Monitor: a non-brand/HongKongRipoff motorized indash touchscreen monitor w/ TV tuner (it could be an 'Audio Image' brand)
              If it has VGA input, it will be okay, otherwise, you waste your money.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

firewire external HD FTW!!!! not all firewire applications goto camera's
                MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
                M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
                7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
                Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
                Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by yrean
                  firewire external HD FTW!!!! not all firewire applications goto camera's
                  For desktop setup, it's great to use with firewire HD, in carPC, usb is good enough.
                  What we are trying to do is eliminate to the minimum to achieve lower consumption. But if you have more juice to spare, why not use it.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Thank you, guys, for your response.

I had the USB/Firewire card in my 'computer hardware graveyard' box for a few years now. Because it has just a few more USB inputs, I just might as well make use of it again. I don't really care about the FiWi....yet

Yes, MatrixPC, my monitor does have a VGA input. Afterall...it is a computer that we are building, arn't we?

I ordered the PSU and the 2.5" to IDE adapter the other day and it should be getting them early next week.

I'm still looking for the riser card, tho...

I will be doing a home setup for experimental reasons. I just hope everything will be smooth as possible.

I'll keep you guys posted concerning my progress

Comment

Working...
                    X