Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why make a in-car system that you can't take with you; ultra portables!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why make a in-car system that you can't take with you; ultra portables!

I just got back from Fry's and played with the Samsung Q1.

7" touchscreen, complete XP tablet system with wifi b/g, 2 usb 2.0, 40 gig HD, VGA output with dual monitor support (think headrest monitors) for about a grand.

Get yourself something like MS Streets & Trips with the GPS reciever and a cellphone that supports USB modem and you have a completely wireless system.

Plus you can take it with you beyond the car!

That's what I'm talking about.

Anybody done something like this? Got some pics of a Samsung Q1 install? Know of any other ultra portables that have these features?

I'm gunna wait until Vista hits to see what ultra portables are supported (shouldn't be that bad I think).

Just my two cents.

there was a thread discussing the q1 somewhere.. imo problem with the q1 is there's it doesn't support a real dock.
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Some people use tablet pcs - it's not a new phenomena. It's just that tablets are still detachable and need to be hidden/removed. Plus, that Q1 is still bigger than a 7" screen I think.
      Oh yeah, and I'd say a lot of people here actually LIKE building the pc and getting it wrong and then getting it right then showing it off.....
      In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")
      Bunny's first poo
      __ U

Comment

I have been using ten inch tablet for a year now. In beginning it was great... cause it made me easy and cheap way to enter to this great hobby. But from beginning i knew ill be building dedicated system someday, just from sheer fun of building it... Both approaches have their advantages...

Comment

Click the link in my signature! That was my initial idea - why go nucking futs building a system? I am using a $2700 Lenovo x41 tablet with bluetooth, wireless nic, finger print reader (the girls drool over this one), etc...

It's the simplest thing to use. no need to buy a touch screen since it comes with one!

PWNED!
          - sh00k
          Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti View Post
            Plus, that Q1 is still bigger than a 7" screen I think.
            yes it is. And being that it can't "dock" you need to accomodate for plugs hanging off the side and whatnot. My console couldn't accomodate it if I tried.. well.. not without disassembling it anyway.. and there goes the portability.
            Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Only problem with the tablet laptops is that the screens aren't typically *touch* screens...they require a stylus in order to sense input.

Didn't know about the docking issue. That kinda sucks. Hopefully some third party vendor (if not Samsung) will make one if it is even remotely feasible (I hope).

Anyone know of any other ultra portables with *true* touchscreens.

I'm in the market for a portable PC (laptop/tablet/portable) and would love to get this working in the car too.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by sshrum View Post
                Anyone know of any other ultra portables with *true* touchscreens.
                TIA
                I'm pretty sure that to get the A-OK to be a verified tablet PC, the screen must not be activated with a finger or wrist or something. Because of the wide surface, and usually it is being used as a paper pad, if you had your wrist on it, then it would defeat the purpose. So basically, no.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                X