Making sure my bases are covered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sure my bases are covered

Hi guys. After seing all of the amazing work alot of hte guys on the board have done with their carputers I've decided it was time to take on the project of my own. However, before I start I just want to make sure I have the basics covered.

I'll start off with the car. It's a 2001 SS camaro. This has the monsoon amp and all that happy jazz. I know nearly everyone hates it but I like it . It sure beats the two speakers my 94 Jeep wrangler used to have.

The following is what I have planned so far. And to date I bought the laptop, I still have to buy the rest.

Getting audio from pc to stock monsoon system: GM9-AUX ** purchased **

Power to the laptop: Aims 300 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter or this DC/DC adatper, I'm not sure which one will work better for me. ** purchased **

I'd prefer to get the DC-DC to avoid the noise and also to make the installation a little cleaner. If someone can verify for me that this dc/dc adapter will work for my aplication I would be very grateful.

Laptop: Toshiba a85-s1072 1.4 GHZ, 256 meg of ram, wireless, unknown harddrive size. I got it off ebay with a busted screen for $177 (thanks to whoever posted that tip). ** purchased **

7" Touchscreen: Ebay example ** pending **

Of course there will be some bondoing/sanding to get the touchscreen mounted into my dash. When I'm all done with the install I'm hoping to have it look similar to this.
    He did an AMAZING job.

Do I have everything covered that I'll need to get this installed in my car? Any and all recomendations/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

All I need to do is buy a power regulator and the piece for my head unit. My biggest concern is the dc/dc adapter right now. Will the one I have in the post above work for me?
    2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

Comment

Originally posted by scotty562 View Post
      Power to the laptop: Aims 300 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter or this DC/DC adatper, I'm not sure which one will work better for me.

I'd prefer to get the DC-DC to avoid the noise and also to make the installation a little cleaner. If someone can verify for me that this dc/dc adapter will work for my aplication I would be very grateful.
      You haven't presented any reason why it wouldn't...

Do I have everything covered that I'll need to get this installed in my car? Any and all recomendations/suggestions are welcome!
      Have you considered a way to power the laptop on/off? Power button? ITPS?

Originally posted by scotty562 View Post
      All I need to do is buy a power regulator and the piece for my head unit. My biggest concern is the dc/dc adapter right now. Will the one I have in the post above work for me?
      I believe it would, yes.
      You might consider removing the cigarette lighter and witing directly into a 12v source for a cleaner, stealthier install.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
      X