new guy here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy here

Whats up everybody. first of all great site.

now to the question. I have a older computer thats sitting in my garage, and im wanting to install it in my truck. I cant seam to grasp the concept of how to hook it up to a small(about 7 inches)lcd tv. would i need a new video card for it?

any help would be apperciated
    www.obxforums.com Outer Banks Message Board

I seriously doub it, but it could depend on the lcd you're using, in most cases as long as you have a standard vga out from your pc

you should be fine

Comment

sup
      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

odyssey, great post.

and for teirdrop

you might want to look into investing in a touchscreen 7inch montior

2 reasons.

1) touch screen
        2) higher resolution
        2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

thank for the input. im still trying to decide if a home pc is the way to go, or just that i need to quit being a cheap *** and get real car computer system. im just tired of having all of these freaking cd, and the cd player I currently have doesnt play mp3's. i rather upgrade to a comp,

anyone know of a thread that list what i need for an inexpensive entyr level car computer setup, just for music(not for internet, but will want to addon in the furture)

I guess that i would need a hard drive based system, and a touch screen(no mouse needed)some kinda of cd rom that would read mp3's

sorry to sound like a damn newbie, but i am, so im gonna go searching now

Comment

sup

Comment

Originally posted by tierdrop View Post
              thank for the input. im still trying to decide if a home pc is the way to go, or just that i need to quit being a cheap *** and get real car computer system. im just tired of having all of these freaking cd, and the cd player I currently have doesnt play mp3's. i rather upgrade to a comp,

anyone know of a thread that list what i need for an inexpensive entyr level car computer setup, just for music(not for internet, but will want to addon in the furture)

I guess that i would need a hard drive based system, and a touch screen(no mouse needed)some kinda of cd rom that would read mp3's

sorry to sound like a damn newbie, but i am, so im gonna go searching now
              Sup. Yeah, the forums have answers to all these questions and more. Give us the specs on the old computer. You should be able to find out everything you need to know from the BIOS screen (Usually accessed by hitting F2 or Del while booting) and from your OS (in windows look in the Device Manager or some junk like that.) What is good to know is your CPU type and speed, amount of memory, soundcard type (or at least that you have one), and harddrive capacity. Since it is an old computer you will probably need a larger harddrive anyways. I can at least tell you if your current rig is feasible, the rest is up to you.

Comment

im gonna hook them all up tonight to find out the specs on them, i think all five have a pent 2 processor, but yeah im gonna upgrade to atleast a 100 gig, cause i know i can fit about 60 gigs of music right now

Comment

Perhaps reading up a bit on some basics is in order?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51489
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Ahhh, it's always nice to see a nice warm welcome before being blunt and sending them straight to the FAQ's dont you think?

If you have a pentium 2 i would suggest starting off with low aspirations and just going for a nice music player system. where you wanting to do gps and stuff?

i would probably go old school initially and just use a nice touch screen friendly winamp skin but try the frontends and see if they run quick enough. i also doubt XP is going to be a whole lot of fun unless you know how to really strip it down and optimise it so my choice would be to go with win98 for now.

I will wait for the full specs before i say anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey View Post
                      Ahhh, it's always nice to see a nice warm welcome before being blunt and sending them straight to the FAQ's dont you think?
                      It wouldn't have mattered what I said, you would have jumped all over it anyways.

The guy had questions. I directed him to the place he could go to find answers. Nothing wring with that. Sorry I didn't sit down and coddle him. Sorry I didn't post whore and just say 'Hi'.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Comment

Perhaps he should have asked about amps or something I.C.E related
                          Only true postwhores remember everything they post

REP CLUB IS DEAD
                          LONG LIVE REP CLUB

Comment

2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

Sup.

Welcome to the forum!

Could always go with a vga to rca converter thingy, if you already have a 7" tv screen. I used one of those on my very first setup, with a 5" lcd. Worked ok for what I had. Guess it just depends on how much you wanna spend on it all.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE
                              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                              X