Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob confused about wiring.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noob confused about wiring.

    Hi,

    I just want to make sure I'm using adequate wiring for my install. I've posted in someone else's post but, since that's not ever a good thing, I'm posting here. In my previous drawing, I wanted to get a new amp since I've heard that if you do, you'll have a bit of a boost from the monsoon system in the b5.5 passat.

    This is what I had before.. but, I won't be getting a new amp. I'll be using the stock monsoon one. There's also a guide for the rca and ground loop connection that I know about for this since I need to feed a 5v charge to one of the lines..


    Well, here's what I'm looking at now.. I've heard that you can put 0 gauge wiring from the battery but, since this is a carpc, I don't think I need that much. Also I'm not sure if I need a distribution block. Or... If I use it, is it alright to hook this up to the other devices such as the usb hub?

    Wait a sec, I don't need a ground wire coming from the fuse holder right? I think it was for the dist. block.. I just moved it over.
    I just wanted to know if all the wires are the right size. I was going to have 8 gauge but, 12 gauge is fine right?

    Sorry if I seem TOO noobish but, I've only dealt with computer installs.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Shidoken View Post
    Hi,

    I just want to make sure I'm using adequate wiring for my install. I've posted in someone else's post but, since that's not ever a good thing, I'm posting here. In my previous drawing, I wanted to get a new amp since I've heard that if you do, you'll have a bit of a boost from the monsoon system in the b5.5 passat.

    This is what I had before.. but, I won't be getting a new amp. I'll be using the stock monsoon one. There's also a guide for the rca and ground loop connection that I know about for this since I need to feed a 5v charge to one of the lines..


    Well, here's what I'm looking at now.. I've heard that you can put 0 gauge wiring from the battery but, since this is a carpc, I don't think I need that much. Also I'm not sure if I need a distribution block. Or... If I use it, is it alright to hook this up to the other devices such as the usb hub?

    Wait a sec, I don't need a ground wire coming from the fuse holder right? I think it was for the dist. block.. I just moved it over.
    I just wanted to know if all the wires are the right size. I was going to have 8 gauge but, 12 gauge is fine right?

    Sorry if I seem TOO noobish but, I've only dealt with computer installs.
    Your diagrams are a little confusing.

    What is the grey wire between the screen the carnetix? Is that ground. What about a ground for the carnetix?

    Distro Blocks DO NTO GET GROUNDED, unless it is a ground distro block.

    What is "BLUE" in the second pic? Also, you should probably ground the screen THROUGH the carnetix, not seperately. Why are you feeding Ignition to the screen, and to the carnetix. Why are you powering the screen off the carnetix? What screen is it??

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
      Your diagrams are a little confusing.

      What is the grey wire between the screen the carnetix? Is that ground. What about a ground for the carnetix?

      Distro Blocks DO NTO GET GROUNDED, unless it is a ground distro block.

      What is "BLUE" in the second pic? Also, you should probably ground the screen THROUGH the carnetix, not seperately. Why are you feeding Ignition to the screen, and to the carnetix. Why are you powering the screen off the carnetix? What screen is it??

      Michael
      Oh.. Sorry. I guess I should clear these things a bit more.

      Here's a different one.


      The monitor is a 7in touchscreen. I think the model is DWW-K301 found here.

      Hope this is all ok...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shidoken View Post
        Oh.. Sorry. I guess I should clear these things a bit more.

        Here's a different one.


        The monitor is a 7in touchscreen. I think the model is DWW-K301 found here.

        Hope this is all ok...
        Again, what are the "blue" lines?

        Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

        Comment


        • #5
          the blue lines are the power lines going from the carnetix to those different devices. i have a 5v addon for the usb hub too.. Actually, I was wondering how to hook up the external sound card to this since there's only one for the pc and one for the monitor.

          Here's another diagram from the carnetix website.

          Comment


          • #6
            the blue lines are probably the power lines.

            From the PSU to the computer it's probably the rats nest of wires that every power supply send to a mobo.

            btw - 15 amps for all of this seems a tad bit low. I'm running 20 amps but not powering my screen off of the PC PSU, and my sound card doesn't pull as much as yours I don't believe.

            Have you verified that 15 a would be ok?

            Michael - in the bottom of his first post he mentioned the deal with the fuse holder in the first pic.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
              the blue lines are probably the power lines.

              From the PSU to the computer it's probably the rats nest of wires that every power supply send to a mobo.

              btw - 15 amps for all of this seems a tad bit low. I'm running 20 amps but not powering my screen off of the PC PSU, and my sound card doesn't pull as much as yours I don't believe.

              Have you verified that 15 a would be ok?

              Michael - in the bottom of his first post he mentioned the deal with the fuse holder in the first pic.
              I'm sure you're right about the fuse, Red GTi. I'm not so sure on what to use right now.. Even that write up on the PSU, cpu voltage, and wiring is pretty hard to understand since I have other devices linked to the p1900.

              Well for one, the carnetix diagram uses a 15 amp fuse for the computer and monitor. I'm sure it's alright for the usb hub too. But, if I add the soundcard to this, should I go for a bigger amp fuse? maybe 25a?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
                the blue lines are probably the power lines.

                From the PSU to the computer it's probably the rats nest of wires that every power supply send to a mobo.

                btw - 15 amps for all of this seems a tad bit low. I'm running 20 amps but not powering my screen off of the PC PSU, and my sound card doesn't pull as much as yours I don't believe.

                Have you verified that 15 a would be ok?

                Michael - in the bottom of his first post he mentioned the deal with the fuse holder in the first pic.
                Not sure what you are refering to in relation to the fuse holder, sorry.

                As for the rats nest, there is none, it is for his Mac Mini, which just uses a coaxial power connector from the P1900 I believe, and I think two wires to a button/switch to simulate the start button press.

                Blue COULD be power, but then why no ground, or why is there a ground on the screen, but not on the others. Just confusing.

                You have to fuse the circuit for the Carnetix. You will have to determine what the maximum draw the unit will accept, and fuse accordingly. You MUST determine if the Carnetix can supply enough power for all your devices. This is not total wattage, but individual rail wattage/amperage.

                I am not sure what the Carnetix max is, nor what the mac mini requires. I also am not sure what soundard you are using. Just so you know, anything that runs completely from USB uses 5 volts. If it runs from another source (Like a wall cube) you have to check to see what it requires, and if the Carnetix can supply it. You would then connect the carnetix to the devices either with a power plug that you create, or though the normal computer connections, depending on the device.

                Have you run a power calculator for the carnetix?

                Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                  Distro Blocks DO NTO GET GROUNDED, unless it is a ground distro block.


                  Originally posted by Shidoken
                  Wait a sec, I don't need a ground wire coming from the fuse holder right? I think it was for the dist. block.. I just moved it over.
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                  Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
                    I just wanted to make sure he knew that he didn't need to GROUND the distro block. Some people think that devices/things need a power and ground source in order to work. I wanted to confirm that he didn't think he needed to "power" or "ground" the fuse to make it "work".

                    Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know - I was just pointing out that he already noted that it was wrong.

                      That's all.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        alright, now i know what needs to be grounded and what doesn't. i made another one of these diagrams and hopefully it's correct.

                        the soundcard is a creative audigy 2 nx external usb soundcard that's powered by a brick that has 5v running into it as said from this guy who's selling one. (or did)

                        anyway, i was thinking of just attaching the 3rd connection which is the one from the carnetix to the usb, over to the soundcard as well. (just to power it.)

                        would that be bad?



                        also, all the blue wires are power and black is ground. if you follow the carnetix one, the monitor hooks up to a brown and a black (power and ground respectively)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shidoken View Post
                          alright, now i know what needs to be grounded and what doesn't. i made another one of these diagrams and hopefully it's correct.

                          the soundcard is a creative audigy 2 nx external usb soundcard that's powered by a brick that has 5v running into it as said from this guy who's selling one. (or did)

                          anyway, i was thinking of just attaching the 3rd connection which is the one from the carnetix to the usb, over to the soundcard as well. (just to power it.)

                          would that be bad?



                          also, all the blue wires are power and black is ground. if you follow the carnetix one, the monitor hooks up to a brown and a black (power and ground respectively)

                          I just checed the specs of the P1900, and your diagram will have a problem.

                          First, we know it can paower your mac mini. That is easy. THe problem is that the P1900 only has ONE other output available, it is switchable between 12 (or 13.8 experimental )and 5 volts. NOT BOTH. You have your Screen running off the P1900, and you also want to power your USB Soundcard and your HUB, which is 5 volts. You just can't do that, it is a limitation of the 1900.

                          Now, you MOST LIKELY can power your creen directly from the battery, I have found most screens don't have a problem with that, though I have heard some divergant views on that, and then try and power your hub and soundcard with the 5 volt supply of the P1900, or get the CNX-P5V so that you can power everything.

                          But, that leads to the next problem. No matter how you supply the 5 volts, whether with the 1900 or the CNX-P5V, you only have 3 amps to work with. That is not much, and in your situation, you may tax the 5 volt supply. I did some brief searches for specs on the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 NX, and didn't find any wattage/amperage requirements, but going with the thread you linked, it requires 1.5 amps. Since USB 1.1 specifies at least .5 amps per port, a 4 port hub will require 2.0 amps, 2.0 and 1.5 is 3.5, which is above the P1900's supply.

                          While you may NEVER use all the ports of the HUB, I think it is skirting wiuth desaster to try and power all those 5v devices.

                          So, what I would do, is get the P1900, and the CNX-P5V, and use both to power your 5 volt devices, and then power the screen from the car, or perhaps, get a second P5V.

                          Goodluck.

                          Michael
                          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i might add that running 4ga power lines to your P1900 might be a little excessive. The point is that the P1900 harness uses 14 or 16ga (i can't remember). I'm using an 8ga power wire from the battery and i had to do a really funky fusion of fat wires to skinny ones to hook that up... 4ga is going to be even harder.
                            Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

                            Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                            Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                            Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              hmm.. i see. i was kinda lost when it came to what size of wires i should have used.

                              Michael- Thanks for all the help you have given. I have the p5v extension and it's already installed in the p1900. I think I'll try to hook up the monitor directly to the battery with a fuse in-between so that I don't fry my monitor. I've looked at all the wires that came with the p1900 and I came across this yellow wire that has 2 fuses in it. I'm guessing that it's used for the cranks from the ignition.

                              Anyway, the setup I'm going to do now is basically try to find some 8 gauge wire from the battery for both the p1900 and the monitor.. then get a distribution block with 30a fuse? I'll have 14g wires connecting to everything else just to be safe and get some ties and plastic/foam piping to make it nice and neat.

                              Cool?

                              Again, thanks for all your help guys!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X