n00b here...got some questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b here...got some questions!

I sold my eclipse cd8445 head unit, so as of now I'm without music in my car. I was gonna get the pioneer premier deh-880prs which is like 300 give or take a few bucks on ebay I believe...now...I know the carputer will be more money, but I've wanted to have one for a while now, and I'm thinking...why buy a 300 dollar hu, and then in a year or 6 months replace it with a carputer?

How does a carputer work for daily use, turning on/shutting down everytime i drive? also, im gonna be running a wall of 4 15" subs behind my front seats, with 8k-10k watts of power...do i have to take any precautions to prevent the bass from damaging anything? will my music skip? also...sound quality...how is it compared to a nice car HU?

Also, im looking at getting a 17 or 19" lcd monitor and taking the base off, and glassing it in my dash, and using a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Basically I want It becuase I have like 30 gigs of songs on my pc, so I can just play them from the computer instead of having multiple cds. What do you guys think I should do? Plus I have my blackberry, and can plug it into my USB port and it let's me have access to the internet. Its not fast enough for downloading, but great for forums and email and AIM, stuff like that.

Anyways, give me some ideas guys.

Thanks

VJ

Originally posted by pimpedout97x View Post
    How does a carputer work for daily use, turning on/shutting down everytime i drive? also, im gonna be running a wall of 4 15" subs behind my front seats, with 8k-10k watts of power...do i have to take any precautions to prevent the bass from damaging anything? will my music skip? also...sound quality...how is it compared to a nice car HU?

Also, im looking at getting a 17 or 19" lcd monitor and taking the base off, and glassing it in my dash, and using a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Basically I want It becuase I have like 30 gigs of songs on my pc, so I can just play them from the computer instead of having multiple cds. What do you guys think I should do? Plus I have my blackberry, and can plug it into my USB port and it let's me have access to the internet. Its not fast enough for downloading, but great for forums and email and AIM, stuff like that.

Anyways, give me some ideas guys.

Thanks

VJ
    ok, 1st... the screen you want is WAY too big.

but now to answer your questions

How does a carputer work for daily use, turning on/shutting down everytime i drive?
    it works very well for daily use. for example my CarPC boots up in less than 15 seconds, and is playing music before i even have my seatbelt on or am driving.

then, when i switch off my car, i either press a button before hand on the screen, or i can flick a switch in the console to turn off the computer (well.. hibernate). if i forget to do these things, the computer shuts down after 5 minutes of no igintion power on its own. (the switch jsut disconnects the igition from the cmputer, simulatiing this affect)

also, im gonna be running a wall of 4 15" subs behind my front seats, with 8k-10k watts of power...do i have to take any precautions to prevent the bass from damaging anything?
    not that i know of, just make sure to not run your audio lines next to your power lines ^^, but if you have installed subs (and and amplifer or two) then you obviously know this.

will my music skip?
    no.

also...sound quality...how is it compared to a nice car HU?
    MUCH better for me, but i installed component speakers and a new amp as well. but the sound quality that CarPC's give is much higher quality (if you get a good soundcard) than a headunit, if you are an audiophile this is the only way to go

30gigs Oo... holy **** man.. you need a carpc, and you can connect your blackberry to the computer via bluetooth (if it has bluetooth) but yeah, it would be a very good internet provider as well for carpc's.

one thing you may look at investing in is a radioshark (usb fm radio receiver)... since you wont have an fm reciever in your car.

theres a thread on here that tells you how to wire the radioshark into you car's antenna, so you should get similar quality in comparison to a HU

hope this helps, if anymore questions.. ask away
    2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Originally posted by Redian View Post
      ok, 1st... the screen you want is WAY too big.

but now to answer your questions

it works very well for daily use. for example my CarPC boots up in less than 15 seconds, and is playing music before i even have my seatbelt on or am driving.

then, when i switch off my car, i either press a button before hand on the screen, or i can flick a switch in the console to turn off the computer (well.. hibernate). if i forget to do these things, the computer shuts down after 5 minutes of no igintion power on its own. (the switch jsut disconnects the igition from the cmputer, simulatiing this affect)

not that i know of, just make sure to not run your audio lines next to your power lines ^^, but if you have installed subs (and and amplifer or two) then you obviously know this.

no.

MUCH better for me, but i installed component speakers and a new amp as well. but the sound quality that CarPC's give is much higher quality (if you get a good soundcard) than a headunit, if you are an audiophile this is the only way to go

30gigs Oo... holy **** man.. you need a carpc, and you can connect your blackberry to the computer via bluetooth (if it has bluetooth) but yeah, it would be a very good internet provider as well for carpc's.

one thing you may look at investing in is a radioshark (usb fm radio receiver)... since you wont have an fm reciever in your car.

theres a thread on here that tells you how to wire the radioshark into you car's antenna, so you should get similar quality in comparison to a HU

hope this helps, if anymore questions.. ask away
      Actually, this whole site, and everyone on it, find computers for everyday use impossible and the wrong way to go

Come on man, of course it is a great option.

But, the poster above illustarted just one way to accomplish it. Unfortunately, you will need to read the entire FAQ section. This will tell you what is needed, and how it works together. There are shutdown controllers (something you would have found with a good search and read) that control the computer for you, no need to hit buttons or flip switches.

Everything that you mentioned CAN be accomplished. YOu just have to learn how to do it.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

thanks for the help guys.

i know the screens kinda big, but my whole interior will be glassed eventually, and i was going for something like this, i also own an explorer like his:

Comment

would this work? this may fit in my dash, and im thinking of going to check it out at bestbuy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142295055252

Comment

why wouldnt it work

and everything can fit in ur dash, given enough fibreglass

Comment

well im either getting that samsung, or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-and-Sealed-1...QQcmdZViewItem

i saw that at bestbuy today and measured...

the samsung (without stand) is 12.5" high and 15" wide

the HP (without stand) is 11.5" high, and 13.5" high. i like the samsung better, ill find somewhere to put it lol...

you get weird looks walking around bestbuy with a ruler measuring monitors lol

Comment

Carputer, PMR style. Me likes.
                Rep! Rep! My kingdom for some rep!

My WIP

Ghetto Carlaputer: (putting things together) 0% * * * * * * * */2 - - 100%
                Wife's patience: 0% * * * */2 - - - - - 100%

Comment

whats PMR lol

Comment

Pimp My Ride....

My WIP

Comment

But seriously, it's a very interesting install. I'm still trying to shoehorn my 12" into the dash with as little modification as possible.

My WIP

Comment

pimp my ride...lol

Comment

What happens when your airbag goes off behind a 19inch LCD and 30lbs of fiberglass? I'm thinkin' lots of glass splinters lol! That's a little too crazy for my taste.

Comment

my car's a death trap. double 5% tint all around, 5% on the whole windshield, im not gonna have a pass airbag, plus im gonna have airbags (suspension) in a few weeks, and thats one more unsafe thing on my car lol...plus a 17" in the dash (im doing 17 now)

im gonna die and im only 18

Comment

He who dies with the most toys wins.

My WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X