Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System What else do I need?

Hi all,

I have been researching in-car PCs for the last day or so, and I have found this
    Mini-ITX Systems which I think will suit my needs. As it comes with the ram and the hdd already.

Would this system be ok for use in a car ('05 Vauxhall Astra SRI 1.7cdti)?

What else would I need to intergrate it into my car?
    and would it be possible to connect it to the car's stereo speakers? if so what would I need to do that?

Thanks,
    §tudz

www.studzworld.com - Only the Best Will do!

well, im assuming u didnt read any of the faqs at all..

but anyway, with that system, ur missing the car power supply (shutdown controller or equivalent) and the screen

to hook it up to the car speakers, use either a headunit with aux in, or take otu the headunit and use an amp system

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I guess I will just replaced the current PSU with the car one? do these connect directly to the battery?

The screen is something I knew I'd have to buy forgot to put it in

as for sound I'll have to look in the headunit thing as I know little about cars and a lot about computers lol
      §tudz

Comment

I guess I will just replaced the current PSU with the car one? do these connect directly to the battery?
        You should really read the FAQ thats what they are there for, many of your questions will be answered. also you said youve been researching it for a day, thats nearly not enough time, there are a lot of things you need to do and consider if you dont want your car to go on fire.

Comment

lol, yeah I know, I just wanted to straighten some things out first, I will read the faqs, and I will do ALOT more research before I install or even buy any bits.
          §tudz

Comment

Sup and welcome to the forum.
            ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
            Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
            All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
            Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

right been reading the FAQs, seem some conflicts over ideas, between using normal ATX systems and usuing mini-ITX.

Which would be the best? I maybe usuing some version of linux as well as an OS, but not sure yet, if I dont I'll possibley buy a system that comes with Emb' WinXP.

As for a touch screen, I'm not too sure, might go for the keyboard and a touch pad, instead of a mouse.

just need to find out about wiring within my car, now.
              §tudz

Comment

And what's the best football team? Where do you get the best hamburger? What's the best automobile?

"Best" is a subjective term that has no practical answer for you, as only you know what you want out of your setup, how much space available, whether you are willing and able to build your own setup, and other factors.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

yeah I suppose,

I am able to build my own setup, I have a Computer Science Degree
                  I want the setup for primarily playing mp3s, hopefully GPS, I will want to have access to a usb connection, but this will be done via a usb hub connected to the system.

As for Space, I am looking at mounting the system either under the passenger seat, (I've read the under the seat FAQ), or in the glove box.

I'm thinking about trying to implement some way of being able to remove the system when I leave the car unattended.
                  As for the monitor I will most likely have that in the glove box, attached to the top and when the glove box is opened have it slide out.

I need to go measure the domensions etc and look at these places to evaluate them correctly.

the reason for Linux over XP is basically cost and size, I have some small Linux OS's such as Knoppix, which will run great.

As for HDD, what is the life expectancy, as I would imagine they are gonna get bouced about, a lot, and my experience with hard drives is they dont like that all too much the needles tend to scratch the surfaces? I've looked at solid state memory but this is VERY expensive.

We get ripped off here in the UK for the full systems, I can get one (if I lived in the USA) for $300 (£170) yet the UK stockist sell them for about £1,000-2,000 its disgusting.

right, I need to find a cheap(er) UK supplier, I would imagine building the IN-car PC is NO different to building any normal PC, or server?
                  §tudz

Comment

Firstly sorry for the double, post, but I didnt see the point of starting a new thread for this.

Ok here is a list I came up with for stuff that I need to aquire/buy

Basics:
                    - 7" Touch Screen Monitor, flip-out screen
                    - Case
                    - OS

Computer:
                    - Mini-ITX MOBO
                    - 512mb Memory
                    - 200gb HDD
                    - DC-DC Power Supply

Requested Abilities:
                    - Removable PC Unit
                    - Wi-fi Dongle
                    - Multiple USB ports
                    - Connected to Stereo Speakers for MP3 play-back
                    - Ability to access the internet, either via Mobile or other means
                    - GPS Dongle

Can you see if there is anything else I will need?

I've been trying to find a suitable place for the monitor to go, but I'm stumped.
                    I dont was to rip the dash apart as the car is amazing looking, here is a pic of the interior (got it from a astra site, as in work and cant take a pic of the car)

This is exactly like my car, Astra SRI CDTi 1.7 (2005)

The car already has an onboard computer, and I dont want to loose the functionality from that, so I'm not going to take the screen out for that.
                    the stereo has all the computer's controls on too, so I dont want to remove that, and the board below that is all the air-con etc controls. You see my plight?

I said earlier I was going to put it on a 'flip-out' from the glove box, BUT I wont be able to see the monitor from the drivers seat, so changing tracks, while driving would be a problem :S

I have searched the forums, and all the astra's I've found are the old shape (Pre 2005) so their interiors are totally different. :'(

does anyone have any ideas? I also dont want the display on show constantly, ie on a prop, which I've seen in the forums, as it would get pinched. The car got 'keyed' and covered in gravey with the first week of having it. Stupid jealous neighbours.... they make me !!
                    §tudz

Comment

Originally posted by §tudz View Post
                      As for HDD, what is the life expectancy, as I would imagine they are gonna get bouced about, a lot, and my experience with hard drives is they dont like that all too much the needles tend to scratch the surfaces? I've looked at solid state memory but this is VERY expensive.
                      HDDs are built to sustain more shock than the human body can handle. Mount your HDD securely to your vehicle, preferrably the chassis, and let the vehicle's suspension provide shock absorption and you'll be fine, so long as the HDD is good.

For someone with a CS degree, you should know that there are no needles in HDDs. Those are for old vinyl records.

right, I need to find a cheap(er) UK supplier, I would imagine building the IN-car PC is NO different to building any normal PC, or server?
                      THey're basically the same. The only significant difference is that you need to power it from the vehicle's electrical system. That means additional power considerations that you wouldn't need to build a system for use inside.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

erm yeah there are needles in HDDs... lol they are used to read the metal discs (where the data is stored) and these can bounce when the hdd is shook.

I think the main problem I will face is going to be finding a plce for the monitor to go, and also wiring. My parents are both radio amateurs and my dad has installed countless rigs in his cars, which are all powered by the vehicles battery, so I'll just have to smile nicely at him and see if he will wire it up for me, once I built it.

I think I'll have to take a trip to some of the scrappies around here and see if I can pick you some dashbaords from scrapped cars, although I haven't seen many, as the car is only 12months old

I might even be able to built a case, I have loads of old one sitting about here so I should be able to knock one up from them, but then they dont look as nice as some of the pre-made ones
                        §tudz

Comment

there isnt a needle per say but an arm. and if youve ever taken a HD apart youd realize the isolated magnet that controls that arm is very very very very strong. so unless your going to be bouncing that HD with over 4 G's of force. dont worry about it.

not sure where to munt your screen unless you do some major fabrication. you could always remove the center air vents and locate a 1 din motorized there. or you can get rid of the vehicle display that has your clock and mpg etc.

good luck.
                          MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
                          M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
                          7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
                          Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
                          Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

yeah I have taken one apart, and I kept those magnets

As for removing the vents, dont think I want to do that, I'm so difficult I know.

I've been doing some pricing up, and looks like its gonna cost me about £400 for the full system, so not too bad really.

I'm just gonna have to spend some time sat in the car at some point soon, to see where I can put the monitor now

Are any of these montiors removeable? as if I have it on display I wouldn't want it viewable 24/7...
                            But I guess my only option is to have it in the glove box, and have it slide out or something?

Here's my updated list:

Basics:

- 7" Touch Screen Monitor, flip-out screen, ( Lilliput 7" Touchscreen TFT Monitor for Car PC ) - £140
                            - Case - £50
                            - OS - FREE

Computer:

- Mini-ITX MOBO (VIA EPIA Eden 5000 Mini ITX VT8601A) - £55
                            - 512mb Memory - FREE
                            - 200gb HDD - £50
                            - DC-DC Power Supply - £50

Requested Abilities:

- Removable PC Unit (-)
                            - Wi-fi Dongle (-)
                            - Multiple USB ports
                            - Connected to Stereo Speakers for MP3 play-back
                            - Ability to access the internet, either via Mobile or other means (-)
                            - GPS Dongle (-)

(-) = Can be added later/NOT essentail
                            FREE = I already have this

Prices gained from:
                            - http://linitx.com
                            - http://www.scan.co.uk
                            §tudz

Comment

welcome to the forums! don't forget to read the faqs. i've read them for about 3 weeks now..

also, don't be discouraged when the project gets too big, it's well worth the effort!

Comment

Working...
                              X