I need a carputer system for a Civic 2001

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a carputer system for a Civic 2001

Ive got lots of things in my mind on what type of setup to put in my car. But after few hours of reading and browsing through some of the threads, its not that easy. I just want a system that can fill in my needs.

I have a Honda Civic 2001 model and an Alpine IVA-D901 that is currently installed. I want to replace it with a carputer, or maybe keep it for whatever purpose.

Can anyone help me with what motherboard should I get? Im planning to get a Pentium M processor, a motherboard that has a built-in video, serial port, pcmcia slot, 60gb of hdd, 512mb ram, combo drive, an 8inch LCD or larger, and a decent dc-dc psu. GPS would not be required for now. I live in the Philippines and we still do not have a decent system for now. Kindly post URLs of the stores where I can get these things (except eBay).

Will an 8-inch LCD fit the 2 DIN of the 7th gen civics? This guy (nameeri), like other 7th gen oweners, installed a 7-inch LCD in there cars... link.

Thats all for now. I'll be around more often now for this project.

Thanks!

Wow, you're asking for a lot of flamage...

Here's the deal. There is a motherboard FAQ ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82299 ) that will give you info on most all the mini-itx mobos available. As far as other boards what will work with your Pentium M, you'll just have to search. As far as stores go that provide these, search. Google is a nice place to start. They even have a part of the site, called Froogle, that will help you find product to buy. As far as an 8" screen fitting, hopefully someone with a 7th gen will come in and share some insight.

Unless someone has already researched motherboards with all the same specs you want, you're basically asking everyone else to do the research for you. Now if you have questions on your findings, you'll find a lot more people willing to help.

Here's somethin to get you started on your power supply: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51060
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

and welcome to the forum. I know it can be hard work, but it will really pay off in the end when you can say.. check this out! i did that!

I would also like to add, you might want to check out and spend some time in the worklog/showoff your project section for some ideas. I also beleive there are a couple of that generation civic that have been done. Good luck.
      MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
      M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
      7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
      Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
      Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

welcome to the boards!

I know that putting a PC in your car isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to jump into. Because of this, many of the members here have spent countless hours preparing threads, stickies, and FAQs to help you get started.

Here's one such thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

Enjoy your stay.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away!
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Keep on reading and why pentium M processor? what exactly do you want to do with a carputer? Most people will run epia mobos and be fine with it. Start there.
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Thank you for your welcomes. And thanks for not flaming.

I've read some FAQs. But as what samc said... I should keep reading. Btw, samc, my first thing that I thought of a processor for the carputer was the Pentium M as it can speed up or down depending on the load of your applications. Im not sure if it will, but it works with my Centrino laptop.

I've been also viewing the worklogs and show off projects for some days now. I can just get their specs and order them from an online store. But how would I know that I have enough power to do multitasking? Maybe I'll just look around.

Btw, will I be able to put a decent AM/FM tuner with the carputer? Im thinking of keeping my Alpine HU for easy DVD/MP3/CD playing and AM/FM tuner.

Comment

Search for HQCT - it's a tuner module that will allow for decent FM.

IMO - using a HU with a PC kind of defeats the purpose, but it's your ride, do what you want.
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

if fm is important to you more then everything else. Keep the HU. THE HQCT, is really good for a computer fm tuner, but its still not as good as a full blown Hu. Your choice though.
                MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
                M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
                7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
                Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
                Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

just read the thread of HQCT. It looks like they are working on it really well. But I guess they still do not have distributors in Asia.

Im still looking for the basic components. After Im done, Ill look into this further.

As of now, Im thinking of keeping my HU for easy loading of discs and back-up camera operation.

Ill be back for the specs...

Comment

Ok. Ive done searches and this is the kind of setup that I want.

Zyll's RX8

Since there is no way of fitting a monitor bigger than 7inch in the 2din slot, I'll have to resort in making a mount that can hold an 8-9in monitor that I can change the veiwing angle anytime. When I first came across this website and looked around, I didnt like this guy's setup. I would prefer the OEM mount at that time. But since 7-inch is pretty small for me, Id go for Zyll's lcd setup. I also might use a laptop.

Since the laptop been added to my options, what are the pros and cons of choosing a laptop over the boxed computers?
                    - Can I get a psu that can charge the laptop while the engine is on and sets it to standby or hibernate when I turned the engine off? Or can I just convert the charger that came with it and put it in the car? The feature of automatically putting the laptop into standby/hibernate when I turn the engine off is very important. This is to avoid the hassle of manually doing it myself everytime I shut the engine off and waiting for the computer to start up everytime I start the car.

That would be for now

Comment

Im also taking this LCD setup into consideration.
                      '05 Crown Vic Police Interceptor

I like it because the screen is big

Comment

As a fellow 7th gen civic owner, there is no way that anything over a 8" screen will fit unfortunately. 7" takes up the double sin weird looking slanted hole thing perfectly. If you get a monitor with side buttons, you don't even need to cut open your screen bezel.

If you go bigger, then you have to cut away all the way up to the hazard light switch and vents and all the way down to the curve on the bottom right.

To go bigger, you need major redoing. You need to remove/replace the ac/vent controls, and the defroster/ac/circulate buttons elsewhere. And there are about 20-30 wires running to each just to control thost damn switches, which are very small and very bundled together. So there is no moving the cord with the buttons. You will need to extend the wires too.

Just letting you know that it will be a Royal PITA if you go bigger than 8. A 7" is very good for car use because using a frontend will negate the small screen part! Big buttons, and everything.

And if you are thinking of putting outside the dash and extending up, then say good by to your vents. And those side vents suck, so you need the main ones.

ANd to help in your searching, 2001-2005 are all the same.
                        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

This guy took his '05 and removed all the buttons to make a clean slate. So it is possible, but hella-hard!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85223
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yeah. I do not want to cut through my vents or change the button locations.

Those frontends are big help. But I need big screens for OBD, Internet, simple games, and other applications that I will use on the go.

Comment

Why will you be playing games on the go?

I hope that you mean while you are on the stop.
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X