Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Dash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Digital Dash

    Before you bash me, read what i have to say....

    Some of you may be familar with Megasquirt EFI (DIY programmable fuel injection). MSefi already has a serial interface for use with MegaView

    MegaView:


    And the program for tuning and what not already show guages in real time:


    So now my question is can make a dash similar to that that would load almost instantly, or shortly after the car would be started?

    Something like this that i put together in photoshop.


    In other words im looking for something that is programmable with small boot times. I can only think of something linux powered with a small HD that loads everything into ram and runs from there one started.

    Otherwise sometihng standalone would be nessicary.

    Ideas? Perhaps this is too complex for the newb fourm

  • #2
    That would be P.I.M.P I saw something on speed ch about a year ago that looked something like this.

    Comment


    • #3
      It really depends on that interface. Is that app really tied to windows? Or is it just a general interface to the serial port data coming in?

      When you described small, configurable, fast boot, runs in ram, you described a custom Linux distro/app. I'd recommend an IDE-CF adapter with a fast CF card since you are reading everything into memory for the duration of its use.

      Just know that XP can be tweaked to boot quickly and from a CF with the EWF (enhanced write filter) options. Do a search on those keywords for more info.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lemons View Post
        Before you bash me, read what i have to say....

        Some of you may be familar with Megasquirt EFI (DIY programmable fuel injection). MSefi already has a serial interface for use with MegaView

        MegaView:


        And the program for tuning and what not already show guages in real time:


        So now my question is can make a dash similar to that that would load almost instantly, or shortly after the car would be started?

        Something like this that i put together in photoshop.


        In other words im looking for something that is programmable with small boot times. I can only think of something linux powered with a small HD that loads everything into ram and runs from there one started.

        Otherwise sometihng standalone would be nessicary.

        Ideas? Perhaps this is too complex for the newb fourm
        Are all of the data that you want to display available from the Megasquirt?

        Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

        Comment


        • #5
          i'd like to see someone go to 175mph in 3rd gear at 4000rpm, rofl

          Comment


          • #6
            nothing a civic couldn't handle

            Comment


            • #7
              rofl

              i'd tip my hat to the owner of a civic that could pull 175mph in 3rd gear, haha

              take like 20 minutes to get to that kind of speed with 3 gears

              Comment


              • #8
                I can do it in 5th at 6k RPM I feel out done.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 96TransAm View Post
                  I can do it in 5th at 6k RPM I feel out done.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    lol,

                    shotguinefx would be the person i would refer in terms of tying automotive funsction together with software. Linux would be your friend there, screw windoze

                    Yev
                    R. T. F. M

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Besides the "Ooo Aww" factor there are reasons most manufactures decide to go with analog gauges. Cady tried it back in the 80s but went back to analog.

                      I'm not sure if it's a speed issue or what, but I know most performance car people hate digital dashes. Which has me kind of puzzled because analog tacs have bad lag because they simply can't go up fast enough....but through a ALDL connection you are going to be a lot slower.

                      Dynos use digital RPM gauges, but they are connected either directly to plug 1, or a laser pointing to a sticker on the harmonic balancer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I imagine it's just a matter of figuring out the protocol, AFAIK, megasquirt is open source so should just be a matter of grabbing the source.

                        http://sourceforge.net/projects/megasquirt

                        I wonder how fast the serial connection is? Obviously if it's limited (like 9600bps), it's going to hamper your refresh rates.

                        As far as fast booting, CF seems like it would be worthwhile to look into.
                        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I know the OBD2 PCMs are much faster than their OBD1 counterparts...but on the ALDL serial side I don't know. I do know on my shiftlight I noticed a lag time when tapping into the PCM harness, changed it to injector #1 and it fixed the problem.

                          Like I said you wouldn't do this for performance reasons, it wouldn't make sense. Unless you incorporated a full time engine management and monitoring system and the dash was just a by product.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think I misunderstood lemon's original question, I was thinking he had a
                            Megasquirt but reading again, I'm getting the impression that he doesn't.

                            Originally posted by 96TransAm View Post
                            I know the OBD2 PCMs are much faster than their OBD1 counterparts...but on the ALDL serial side I don't know. I do know on my shiftlight I noticed a lag time when tapping into the PCM harness, changed it to injector #1 and it fixed the problem.

                            Like I said you wouldn't do this for performance reasons, it wouldn't make sense. Unless you incorporated a full time engine management and monitoring system and the dash was just a by product.
                            I also think it's how you interface it. Via OBDII, I only get around 10 samples a second. There's a new project at http://www.openecu.org that works for my car and several others that let's you get around ~250 a second, read many more parameters and even tune and reflash the car. Currently it focuses on a few cars that share the same Hitachi based ECU.

                            So how viable it is would probably depend on what kind of car and what type of support is available.
                            GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nice, I converted to a OBD1 system years ago though. Tuning solutions for OBD2 were way to expensive. (Well, real tuning solutions anyway)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X