Hi All

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All

Uhh so I'm Brandon, and I have an addiction. lol anyway. I've been thinking about the idea of putting a Carputer into my 1990 supra for quite a while. Until now, I was going to just get a laptop, rip the screen off, and connect it to a monitor. Well you all have opened my eyes to a new (to me) way of doing it--gutting a desktop PC, building your own wood enclosure, then routing it to a screen in the dash. I have a few basic questions though:

1.) How are car speakers hooked up to the sound card? Whats the best type (5.1, 7.1, etc...) of sound card to run for a 6 speaker, non-surround sound, + a sub setup?

2.)What program is best for tuning? Fuel maps, etc...

3.) How's the power inverted? Is it as simple as using a power inverter and plugging the pc's power supply in, or do you all hardwire it?

Possibly more questions to come. No flames please, Im a huge newbie to this world

k, ill be nice

1) can be hooked up thorugh a aux imput on your head unit or run it to separate amps for your speakers. if your not looking for surround sound, a simple stereo sound card will do.

2) idk, wait for someone else to anwser that

3) look in the mp3car store. they have dc-dc powersupplies that work off the car power to power the carputer. much more effecent and much smaller.

at least your in the right section.

Comment

hehe thanks compnut--it's greatly appreciated.

Follow-up on question number 1: so a simple 2 channel sound card will work? Im a freak about great sounding audio--so it has to sound perfect. If I go the carputer route, I plan on not using a head unit, using just the PC for sound. if I run a stereo sound card, then use an 2.5mm to RCA adapter plug to run it to amps, would that work? This whole business about using a sound card for car audio is confusing!!

Comment

first before you ask another question i urge you to read the faq emporium...all of it. this should keep you b usy for a while.

also... if you're an audiophile then the easiest way to get great sq is with an alpine pxa-h701. do a search on it and you'll find some great reading...actually there may be something in the faq emporium.

the tuning programs are really dependent on what ecu you have as well as what car. i can run ls1-edit in mine, but that wont do jack for you. do you have a haltech or aem or apexi ecu? then they have there own software as well. you wont find much about those programs here though. you should check out the supra forums for engine management software. we deal mainly with obd-ii engine monitoring.

as to your follow up. a 'simple' 2 chan card can work if you have internal x-overs on your amps or plan on running a active x-over. This is the route i'm taking (currently testing out 3 different options. echo gina3g soundcard, m-audio audiophile 192, as well as diy-esque 'usb-dac'

I think i have given you enough terms to keep you busy with searches. now make us proud! :-)
        lastly..compnut21....good to have 'noobs' like you.
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Im actually very familiar with alpines products--the only head units I've ever bought have been Alpines.

I do indeed plan on running active crossovers with the speakers, and for the subs Im going to use an amp with filters built in, so that part I'm not worried about.

I'm also quite familiar with the supra forums, mainly SupraMania.com--as I print the t-shirts for the website.

Lastly, I tried reading some of the FAQ emporium, and it all seemed like technoligical mumbo-jumbo to me... I think I understood 5% of it. I'm not at all a PC nut, and have only enough knowledge of PC's to be slightly dangerous, so the FAQ's did me no good. I still don't understand how a 2.5mm jack on a sound card is converted into an RCA output.

(edited that...sounded like a total retard in the first post)

Comment

2.5 mm jack is just an interface. it's still an unbalanced analog signal. all you need is the correct cable. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32430

this should help you get your feet wet.
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46315
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Audiophile View Post

Lastly, I tried reading some of the FAQ emporium, and it all seemed like technoligical mumbo-jumbo to me... I think I understood 5% of it. I'm not at all a PC nut, and have only enough knowledge of PC's to be slightly dangerous, so the FAQ's did me no good. I still don't understand how a 2.5mm jack on a sound card is converted into an RCA output.
              You may want to reconsider getting started in this hobby. It may be more frustrating than its worth. You can always pay someone to do it for you or buy a prebuilt, all in one unit from MP3car.

If you do plan on sticking around, start by and reading for hours. Everything you need to know is contained in the search function. Its very easy to see those new members who have searched vs those who have not. Try to avoid being the later.
              Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Albers View Post
                You may want to reconsider getting started in this hobby. It may be more frustrating than its worth. You can always pay someone to do it for you or buy a prebuilt, all in one unit from MP3car.
                I may be new to this whole thing, and not know ****...but that was a rather assanine thing to say.Period. If I can rip apart a motor and put it back together, I think I'll be ok with a PC. Like I said, I know the basics...kinda.

Originally posted by Will Albers View Post
                If you do plan on sticking around, start by and reading for hours. Everything you need to know is contained in the search function. Its very easy to see those new members who have searched vs those who have not. Try to avoid being the later.
                Yes, I do plan on stickin around, and I do plan on donig alot of research before I spend a dime. I'll actually probably build my first carputer off the corpse of my old desktop...dunno yet

EDIT: oh and thanks Scott That actually helped ALOT!

Comment

Best of luck to ya, welcome to the forum
                  Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Thanks Will I'll be sure to go straight to you if I need help--just promise not to tell at me for stupid questions haha

Comment

Only thing I have to add is the fuel map issue. I may be totally wrong but the pre 96 OBD bit leaps to mind. Can someone else weigh in on how to tune pre 96 cars?
                      Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X