How to connect M2-ATX to battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect M2-ATX to battery

I'm in process of building my first carpc (special thanks to people @ this forum . Yesterday, I finally got all the pc components and completed installation using this guide . Thats when I got stuck by confusion about how will I power it from my battery and ground ???

I have installed subwoofer in my cars before and I know that i'll need a 4 or 8 guage wire for power (to run from battery) but my question is, how will such a thick wire connect to the VoomPC ampie case ? Do I need to get any special connector ?

BTW, I currently have a 4 gauge wire powering my amp/sub (which I installed). Can I just use the same wire by putting a splitter/distribution block ?

PLEASE HELP !!!!
    04 Accord Coupe Carputer

a distribution box is a good way to do this, & please don't double post 2 threads for one simple question like this...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
      a distribution box is a good way to do this, & please don't double post 2 threads for one simple question like this...
      Thanks but that just fixes one part of the problem. I still want to know, how can I connect the THICK power and gnd cables to my computer ?
      04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

get a distro block, that take the 4 or 8 gauge, and has 2-3 outputs for 18 or so gauge..

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S View Post

get a distro block, that take the 4 or 8 gauge, and has 2-3 outputs for 18 or so gauge..
          never seen that kinda of distro block. I'll try to look for it.

OK, once I get that ditro box and connect cables to it, how do i connect those cables to the VoomPC case ? Do I need some kind of connector or something ????

Fellow M2-ATX users.............PLEASE HELP !!!!
          04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

the ground can be a direct ground.... the power wire for the computer can go into a distribution block, there are times that the wire you need to use is quite a bit smaller than the output port on the dist. block, say a 12 gauge wire into a 8 gauge hole... there are several ways to do this, there are bushings available to reduce the size, but are hard to come by... you could always get a 8 gauge wire then go into another block that will reduce it more, but that can be a pain....

you can also sometimes double up, triple up, even fold over the end 4 times or more to make the computer wire larger & compress better in the dist block... & most dist blocks will take a wire quite smaller than nec, as long as when you tighten the allen key it is a secure conection, & as long as the dist block can take a small enough fuse you should be ok....

there are several ways to acomplish what your trying to do.... sometimes you can even piggyback a smaller wire to a larger wire & have them share the same port, but then you will need a smaller fuse inline, because if it's sharing the feed with a larger wire for say an amp, then the fuse will be to large to protect the pc adiquately enough.... distr blocks come in many different sizes & configs, obviously the absolute best way is to have everything 100% correct, but as long as it's connected well & protected with a fuse that's not way overrated you should be good...

Comment

after doing some googling... I found the answer to my question . VoomPC comes with the harness that plugs on the outside of the case....to which all other wires can be connected.

Now all I need to do is get a distro block and I'll be set
              04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

oh, I thought you already had that.... good luck with it

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                  oh, I thought you already had that.... good luck with it
                  thanks for the help bro. I'm sure I'm gonna have some more questions, once I start working on it.
                  04 Accord Coupe Carputer

Comment

manual has gotten a bit confusing over the years... can i connect both, the white and red wire into the same power source for testing purposes? red wire first perhaps and when white gets power, it turns the pc on?

Comment

yes you can connect both together or red first and white as ignition wire SNO

Comment

thanks, got it working again, but had to push the switch...
                        can i connect the power cables from the ignition solderings somewhere and put 15amp fuse on the red wire near the ignition?

Comment

Working...
                        X