Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying files while car is off

Hi,

How do people update their car PC with new files? Before installing my car PC, I imagined being able to copy the files over my wireless network from my office or home PC while my car is parked and switched off.

When buying my PSU, I saw that it (M2-ATX) had an option to delay switching off by a certain time and thought this would allow me to park up, go to my PC and copy the files before my PC switched off. Now it's installed, I realise that it doesn't work like that - it hibernates as soon as my engines switches off.

So...

Either I can delay the PC switching off by some software solution but it must recognise if the engine (power switch) is switched back on during that time, etc.

or

I could maybe wake on LAN to turn it on when I want to copy files across. Does wake on LAN work with a wirelsss network? If my adapter is USB? How would I switch it off again?

Or would doing this just drain the battery too quick.

Copying files across wirelessly was one of the biggest benefits I saw for a car PC. I don't want to have to sit in my car with my engine running while doing this - it can be quite a slow process.

So, what's the normal way of doing this?

Thanks,

Lee.

I've decided to use a 3.5" HD "mounted" next to my computer that I could just disconnect and take into my place and copy stuff onto it...OR...I'll go into the car and connect to my network and copy files that way. I will probably end up getting together a bunch of stuff I wanna copy at once most of the time, so I will just take the HD with me when I park it once in a while.
    Carputer Progress:

Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
    Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
    Teardown PC [100%]
    Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

Comment

I've run my setup for over two hours on battery alone.
      I don't have WiFi yet, but I'm certian that I could use it to transfer files with no problem.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I don't think you'd want to set up wake on lan with wireless... stray signals could start it running anywhere, anytime, and leave you with a dead battery.
        ~ Joel

Comment

I have a couple methods Wifi being one but never seems all that reliable when sending large files. For big stuff I usually just grab my external HD and plug it into my USB port and boom. For my buddy who's car we just finished we ran a RJ45 connector to his wall in the garage pretty sweet setup actually.

Comment

USB flash drive is a good easy option.
            ~ Joel

Comment

WiFi FTW.

Comment

ezsync is the easiest way. Thats what i've been doing.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                  ezsync is the easiest way. Thats what i've been doing.
                  Nice, I'll have to try that - haven't seen it before.
                  Carputer Progress:

Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
                  Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
                  Teardown PC [100%]
                  Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

Comment

uhh....is it really hard to copy it in a FLASH DRIVE and transfer the file that way? Or does it have to transfer using ur WIFI or some way wireless???
                    Sorry if I'm not understing you correctly but I think you're just trying to copy files from your desktop/laptop to ur car pc right? Then if that's the case, I'd use a flash drive.....easiest way possible

Comment

Working...
                    X