new to car pc's, not to cars.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to car pc's, not to cars.

ok, ive been a installer for car audio shops for 6 years now, and im thinking of putting a computer in my car.

i have a old laptop that im not useing. it is running windows xp.
    im planning on getting a 7in touch screen monitor and molding it into the radio location in my car. what all am i going to need to make this whole setup work in my car. software and hardware. how will i get the computer to start with the car and turn off with the car and whatnot.

thanks in advance
    matt.

You need a shutdown/startup controller. Depending on the power options you go with, this can be achieved many ways. I don't have much experience or knowledge with the laptop setups, but I'm sure there is plenty of information on here.
    Welcome aboard.
    Computer:
    COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
    STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Comment

what about some nice user interfaces for the touch screen and what all is involved in adding navigation to it.

Comment

this site is great and has a lot of resources on it, ive only been a member a short time the the search feature ROCKS..

actually theres a whole subforum dedicated to your second question, hope you find what you are looking for...

...good luck...

T

Comment

Great you are interested! Great you have a basic idea on whats going down here....but dont look to be spoon fed what you need. Do your homework.. browse SEARCH... check out the newbie section....

After you do that.... repeat it....then make a good plan for yourself...and so it begins
          Brown 2010

Comment

i see what your saying, but im not all that savy with computers. i can pretty much use them for normal stuff, but when it comes to programing and other stuff im all thumbs.

Comment

Originally posted by tcr03 View Post
              i see what your saying, but im not all that savy with computers. i can pretty much use them for normal stuff, but when it comes to programing and other stuff im all thumbs.
              Thumbs are probably the most useful finger on the hand... teach them to do what you need them. Start at the beginning of the forum and read. Any question you have is likely answered somewhere.
              Brown 2010

Comment

do they make a 4.1 channel sound card that will plug into a pcmi slot on a laptop, or use usb ports. right now i have a really nice radio for my car, but i want to use just a computer, but if i cant control all the channels seperatly using my laptop ill just have to run it though my radio.

Comment

SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes they make both types

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or people will start to get VERY ****ed FAST and then you dont get any help when you really need it!
                  Brown 2010

Comment

i did do a quick search on google, but all i found were sound cards for desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by tcr03 View Post
                      i did do a quick search on google, but all i found were sound cards for desktops.

keyword "quick"

Did you even try searching the forums?????

hell ebay will give you some hits!

thats it im out.....!
                      Brown 2010

Comment

do they make a am/fm tuner for a laptop that can use the car antenna, or how does that work, putting a tuner for the radio reception on a laptop and have it work in the car.

Comment

Working...
                        X