yet another newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another newbie

my name's george. i drive a 1990 BMW 525i. i've been designing a blueprint for my carPC for a while now and a friend told me about this site. i've found tons of useful information so far and i'll be browsing around for quite a while i'm sure.

here's the equipment i've got so far

Motherboard - microATX Socket A (i've got a couple to choose from so far)
    RAM - 1 GIG PC-133 SDRam or 1 GIG Dual Channel DDR (depends on board)
    CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2500
    Video - NVidea GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP
    Sound - Creative Labs Audigy2 5.1
    HD - Seagate Barracuda 250GB
    Optical - Samsung DVD-ROM/CD-RW

so far, the motherboard, HD and optical drives are going in place of the glove box. makign everything removable with minimal effort.

currently just coming up with money to put the setup in motion and get a few more parts.

lcd, foldup keyboard, etc.
    ~George~
    1990 BMW 525iA
    CarPC in the works

now you need to start thinking about power requirements. The parts you're putting in are going to draw serious needs. Most people build lite for fast boot times and stability.

Comment

i'm using an inverter for sure. i was thinking about going lite but the more i thought of it the more i decided i want more of a mobile entertainment center instead of just mp3, video and gps.

i do plan on gaming, web browsing, instant messaging etc from this unit.
      ~George~
      1990 BMW 525iA
      CarPC in the works

Comment

now you need to start thinking about power requirements. The parts you're putting in are going to draw serious needs. Most people build lite for fast boot times and stability.
        This is true, and you definitely should watch out for power requirements, there are power supplies that will power this setup.

The DSATX provides 220 watts.

Is there a reason you choose the full size optical drive? They are not ideal for the car. They need to be mounted well, so they will not skip and they use more power.

There are many things you still need to research.
        I would suggest that you look here, and give it a thorough read.
        In particular I would search for these terms;

dc-dc power supply (advantages and such)
        a power consumption calculator

I would think about where you are going to put your pc, and whether or not the mATX is best for you in bmw. Its what I use and I drive a civic, but they are big, and not everyone is okay with that.

I'm not sure of the power consumption of your cpu, but i'd be wary of it.

What is your reasoning behind one gig of ram?

Have you thought about how you are going to get audio from the pc to the speakers?
        (btw I like the sound card you selected)

Other than that, welcome to the forum!
        REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911 View Post
          This is true, and you definitely should watch out for power requirements, there are power supplies that will power this setup.

The DSATX provides 220 watts.
          thanks. i'll look into that.

Is there a reason you choose the full size optical drive? They are not ideal for the car. They need to be mounted well, so they will not skip and they use more power
          i hadnt looked around much before hand. after searching i've found a few slim/slot load drives i've got in mind

There are many things you still need to research.
          I would suggest that you look here, and give it a thorough read.
          In particular I would search for these terms;

dc-dc power supply (advantages and such)
          a power consumption calculator
          i have, since making my first post, been reading through the entire FAQ. so far i'm loving it

I would think about where you are going to put your pc, and whether or not the mATX is best for you in bmw. Its what I use and I drive a civic, but they are big, and not everyone is okay with that.
          my glovebox broke. so i'm fabbing up a cover for that area where the board will be placed. mATX is plenty roomy...in fact i've got enough space for a full ATX board if i really wanted to.

I'm not sure of the power consumption of your cpu, but i'd be wary of it.
          i've since looked into that. i may be going with a lower power unit.

What is your reasoning behind one gig of ram?
          aside from the fact that i'll be gaming,....i've got a few gig of it lying around

Have you thought about how you are going to get audio from the pc to the speakers?
          (btw I like the sound card you selected)
          i've got a 4+1 channel amp for the interior speakers and i have a 2 channel amp for my subs.

Other than that, welcome to the forum!
          thanks
          ~George~
          1990 BMW 525iA
          CarPC in the works

Comment

Awesome, sounds like you are definitely on the right path. Of course of everything I posted, it really depends on your budget. The fact that you have a gig of ram laying around, is a great reason to put it in the pc !

It's also good to see more people going the mATX route not simply because they are cheaper than mini itx.

I prefer mATX cause of the inherent expandability over mini itx, and I really don't see enough of a space gain to justify getting such a small pc.

edit: Almost forgot, I wish I had your glove box
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911 View Post
              Awesome, sounds like you are definitely on the right path. Of course of everything I posted, it really depends on your budget. The fact that you have a gig of ram laying around, is a great reason to put it in the pc !

It's also good to see more people going the mATX route not simply because they are cheaper than mini itx.

I prefer mATX cause of the inherent expandability over mini itx, and I really don't see enough of a space gain to justify getting such a small pc.

edit: Almost forgot, I wish I had your glove box
              yeah when i looked at the ITX boards the first thingi said to myself was "ew. only one pci and ram slot" the second thing i said was "no amd? boo"

i checked newegg and found a couple AMD mITX boards....but they still had only one pci and ram slot....and i just didnt like that.

IMHO when building a system on a budget, AMD seems to be a better choice because they have significantly lower CPU/MB prices than Intel.

and i'm also glad i have the space i do in that car. my original plans for a carPC were in a 89 Mazda mx6 gt. now that i've got this bmw its been so much easier to design mounting brackets etc because i literally doubled my workable area.
              ~George~
              1990 BMW 525iA
              CarPC in the works

Comment

For higher power requirements, here's a thread combining 2 or more M2-ATX for as much power as you'll need.
                Good luck with your project.

Cheers.
                The W3bMa5t3r

Comment

hmm. that looks like it might just work. i wont be able to work on anything til january probably anyway due to back surgery a couple weeks ago. but this is giving me alot to research. i'll prolly have parts shipped and coming in over the next couple months so i'll be assembling the little stuff until my recovery is over.
                  ~George~
                  1990 BMW 525iA
                  CarPC in the works

Comment

Working...
                  X