Commandeering Usage of the 2007 G35 Factory Installed Screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commandeering Usage of the 2007 G35 Factory Installed Screen

I am contemplating buying a 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan. This model will come with an in-dash screen whether or not you get the NAV system. Not getting the NAV system would allow me to save $4000 --> $2000 for the nav and $2000 for the premium package. I was wondering if it is possible to use that factory-installed screen as the output device for a carputer (that would have NAV). Anyone know if it is possible, in general or in specific, to use the in dash screen? Seems like it would save on dash fabrication.

i figure you would have to repin the screen to work. and does it even support vga?
    Progress Bar: [//////////]100%

Have M10000, 40gb 2.5"hdd, i guidance, wireless,slim slot drive, delorme gps, roadrunner, liliput touchscreen, opus150w ...
    all fabrication done...

Comment

If it will work, you would only get a video signal ont he screen.
      No touchscreen.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Slakka View Post
        I am contemplating buying a 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan. This model will come with an in-dash screen whether or not you get the NAV system. Not getting the NAV system would allow me to save $4000 --> $2000 for the nav and $2000 for the premium package. I was wondering if it is possible to use that factory-installed screen as the output device for a carputer (that would have NAV). Anyone know if it is possible, in general or in specific, to use the in dash screen? Seems like it would save on dash fabrication.
        pleeeaaseee let me know what you did...I have an 07 and I really want to hook up the main screen to my (eventual) carputer set up..

Comment

how did this turn out?? I have an 07 and I'm very interested in seeing what others are doing..

Comment

Haven't Got the Car Yet

Still waiting to get one. I want the 6 speed, and they all sold in the first weekend. So no modding yet.

I did take a closer look at the screen. It appears to have plenty of resolution for a carputer.

Also, the first ones all came loaded out with $4k of extra equipment - many with nav. Kinda silly to pull out the nav to put in a 'puter.

Comment

+1 That's why I'd opt out of the Navi feature, unless you can get the two to play together.

The easiest approach so far is TV-OUT and stereo audio out on the CarPC to AV inputs with the G.

What I don't like is how integrated the 7" display is pretty much the instrument panel for radio, climate, settings, etc.

How the heck am I ever going to build a media system for the new G? I have a feeling the '08 Coupe is going to get the same iDrive-like system from the sedan. ARgh...

My plan was to rewire the Infiniti controller buttons to the PC keyboard controller, install a Xenarc TS display, replace the CD drive with a DVD-ROM drive, and then mount the PC in the glovebox. It was easy until I found out all G sedans come integrated with a 7" display :-(

Comment

Working...
              X